Cafe Racer Forum banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
don't pay attention to the trolls on this site that ride trycycles like woodsman
it's because we get a lot of people posting on here about how they're going to do this and that to something totally unsuited and then get all bent out of shape when they get told it's a dumb idea. even worse when their first post contains the phrase "i've been told it's a bad idea, but i think i can make it work". the people here are mostly bike industry or racer based, and so modification for form is looked on in a much less favourable light than modification for function.

and, by far the biggest issue imo, is that people come here looking for validation for their stupid ideas. i put paso wheels in my monster, because i wanted to**. i couldn't give a shit if no one else likes it, and wouldn't mind at all if they pointed that out. that's opinion and expression. it's the the internet. if you want arse kissing, do the ton tends to be far more accepting of the stupid. here, you'll get good technical advice along with ridicule and derision from people who already know how to build a cafe racer, if i may take a quote.

so, suck it up. take the good, ignore the bad, move forward and shows us something we don't know.

**(well, in truth at some point i thought it was a good idea, but the time frame between instigation and execution was so long that, once i actually started making it happen i was so far down the path of commitment that there was no point not doing it. in truth, i could have bought a nice set of oz from motowheels and bolted them straight in for what i spent making the pieces of 16" shit fit. so, continue).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Don't listen to woodsman he's just another troll this site
That's the great thing about forums RZZ, you don't have to pay any attention to anybody. You are allowed to take the grinder out, chop 'em up, add the Dumbos and say it's perfection. I am allowed to point out in my view it's not.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Richard ZZ,
Most of us on here believe that you are a delusional idiot, as evidenced by that travesty which you have had created for you with all of the cliche "cafe racer" parts, from the oversized tires, crappy shocks, over done Mojave tank and USD forks and modern brakes that will tie that crappy stock frame in knots, if you ever tried to ride it hard. You continue to prove your idiocy by attacking well established members on here for no apparent reason. That equates to either childish or stupid in my book.
Your total lack of experience shows and your qualification to offer advice is pretty low.

Have a sparkly day and try not to kill yourself on that disaster you "created".
In case I was a little too unclear, you suck and so does your abortion of a Yamaha XS850.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Alright so to bring things back on topic. I heard you guys out, learned my lesson and got myself another bike to work on. I found a 1982 Honda V45 Sabre with only 16,800 km on it, in a well maintained working condition.
IMG_20181111_114618.jpg
IMG_20181111_114626.jpg
IMG_20181111_114634.jpg
IMG_20181111_114644.jpg

Bike is in a great condition, and seems to have only one problem. When idling as the engine heats up the RPM seems to climb up and stick right around 3500RPM. In other words I have whats usually described as a "hanging idle". I did some reading on it and turns out its usually caused by a vacuum leak. My main suspect so far are the rubber boots between the carburetors and the engine. When the bike warmed up i sprayed the boots with a little bit of carburetor cleaner and instantly heard the engine REV Up. So those would likely need replacing. Any suggestions on what else could be causing it?

If anyone is interested here is a video of what the bike actually looks like and the idling issue.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
yea i'm not normally super into touring fairings, but that bike is pretty damn cool the way it is...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Lol there is no speakers in those spots its just covers. It certainly does the job, on the way home it was -2 C and snow flurries. It certainly kept me warm. If anyone wants it, its for sale. I have no use for it. I've already taken it off and started modifying things.

no_fairing.jpg
Pulled the forks up 1.5" through the triple trees. Will get some clip ons on there soon enough.
New front end stats come to:
Rake: 27.5° (-2° from stock)
Travel: 5.5" (stock) (when fully compressed it doesn't hit anything)
Trail: 4.2" (-0.3" from stock)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I did it to get a little bit more responsiveness. And a better stance. YOu are right, if it works and you like the look, dont do it.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Superbike bars might be worth a try with that bikes ergonomics. You'll get a sporty posture/look while having a ton of leverage

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
nobody can see any difference in the stance
that is just today's insanity talking horseshit
all you have done is reduced cornering clearance
tell you what go out on a stretch of road that has a slight downhill slope
get up to about 60mph in top gear smoothly let go of the handlebars whilst quietly sliding back on the seat and lean way back

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Racetech springs and emulators, fresh fork oil, hagon shocks, wheel bearings, stem bearings, fork brace, nice tires. Then ride the wheels off it

·
Registered
178 Posts
Am I missing something here? I can't believe I'm about to say this, but are we making suspension adjustments to compensate for frame design? The V45 is basically the same power plant as the VF750f Interceptor, correct? This is the same motor in a cruiser, but the apparent goal is to have a sport/race-like bike. Right? Wouldn't it be better to find Interceptor, even if you don't want all the plastic? They come cheap a lot, because the carbs are so hard to work on.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Or get a VFR750. They are available for less than $2k and will outperform any Sabre. A friend of mine used to race a 91 model that was close to stock. Lots of bang for the buck.

The Sabre and Magna probably lend themselves more to a street bruiser, sled, muscle bike look where stop light acceleration is more valued than cornering prowess.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Am I missing something here? I can't believe I'm about to say this, but are we making suspension adjustments to compensate for frame design? The V45 is basically the same power plant as the VF750f Interceptor, correct? This is the same motor in a cruiser, but the apparent goal is to have a sport/race-like bike. Right? Wouldn't it be better to find Interceptor, even if you don't want all the plastic? They come cheap a lot, because the carbs are so hard to work on.
Same configuration, but they are not the same engine...at all. The Intercepter cylinders are canted back further, gear driven cams, chain drive. I don’t think there are many parts, if any, that are interchangeable.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts