Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
That description sounds like it came from a hipster cafe lifestyle sales brochure......or an L.L. Bean catalog!

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Payback has the longest shifter rod in the universe.

"doesn't give an inch"......maybe when it comes to cornering - it looks like it needs a mile to turn with that rake.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Google Dime City "Payback." You can say what you want about stock shadows, but that thing is a way cooler cafe than about 90% of the dime a dozen CB360s out there
It's not cooler than anything. It's just a truly dysfunctional bike. I'd rather ride a stock CB360, any day of the week.

I feel like washing out my mouth after reading the total crap written about this junk - heap.

" The feeling of power and torque when piloting the finished machine is quite indescribable. "

- Well that did not stop him trying to describe it. :rolleyes: I guess he proved his point in words.

" And the rake on the front end acts as an integrated steering stabilizer and as a result, at high speeds Payback doesn't give an inch. "

- Pass the barf bag. I guess what they mean is de - raking the bike so it handled better than a cruiser, was well beyond their chassis engineering capabilities.

C_P_J :" Don't.
Runs like shit without a lot of carb mods.
Loud pipes make you a jerk " , and I might add, 750cc Shadows feel like shit, ride like crap, and sound like shit stock or loud. The 600 VLX Shadow is a far better bike, in every possible way.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Personally,
I have plenty of experience with Shadows when I worked at Honda dealerships. They all sucked. They are over weight and underpowered with sloppy handling and stupid wheel sizes. The seating position is awful and the engines and exhausts sound like crap. The front brakes are ok and the rear drum is anemic at best. Finally, on the VT1100C, the points on the bottom of the fuel pump will rust up and kill the spark. That one was a bitch to diagnose.

I dare, in fact I triple dog dare, anybody to make a cafe out of one of those pigs. They make a CM400 look like a freakin race bike.

Ken
I know it is poor form to quote oneself, but in this case it is warranted. I think of the most recent shadow thread where the overambitious engineering student wanted to monoshock one. I argued that it could be done and even how I would do it. I would have to shoot myself if I ever did try to build one, because I was right the first time. If one is made into anything other than what it is, a production chopper wannabe, it will end up as junk POS. No matter what you do the chassis it will suck and the motor will always be an anemic overweight lump.

Ken

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
But Ken, didn't you read the blurb attached to the Payback bike?

Apparently it's power and torque are indescribable.....

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I can describe them both. The power is easily comparable to that of any Honda twin. It has very little and what it does have is delivered in such a seamless and bland fashion that it evokes no sense of thrill or wonder. As far as the torque goes, what little it has is mostly used up getting that overweight pig moving in a style reminiscent of worn out 8hp Briggs in a Craftsman lawn mower with 2 low tires (I had one of those once).

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Isn't that who Elaine, from Seinfeld, worked for? ;)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts