Cafe Racer Forum banner

81 - 100 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
You dont really have a stock bike that is set up.

Have you even serviced the bike?
Gotten a manual and checked to see if it is within the serviceable limits?

How about we start with the best stock system that we can before even thinking about "improvements"

If you are looking for ideas about modifying twin shocks?
-how about the actual shocks.....maybe there are better ones? why are they better?
-bracing
-bearings in either bronze or needle bearings
-moving shock mounts
-changes in shock lengths
-changes in swingarm length

But again, what does changing the rear end of the bike do?
Are you or someone you know skilled and consistent enough to show a difference in lap time? is the rest of the bike even any where near up to the task?

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel here. and cut it out with these huge, but ultimately useless project ideas.

Ill ruin the surprise at the end of the planing phase....
The answer to the question is.....

"find a system you think you can improve, and then show how you improved it"
in order to do this you have to have a good understanding of how the system at hand works currently.
Thats engineering

If what you really want to learn is fabrication then I still think you are heading down the wrong path. Just get some scrap steel and make some of it stick to other bits, then cut it off and repeat.

You seem to be working with a motorcycle for no more of a specific reason then it was there and for what ever reason you think its cool.
That is lame.

Why dont we stop with all this mono shock BS and try servicing the freaking thing?
make it the best what ever model junk it is.

Better plan would be to find a better and more suited bike.
Do all the service shit, ride the piss out of it. and then talk about whats to improve it.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Following on from what Jag_ said. Get the bike running with some old OEM shocks and sell it.

Then come back and post, asking what bike model is worth your cash and effort to modify as a " café racer bike ".

The VT ain't it jack, not with all the King's grinders, and all the King's horsepowers.

That's probably the best advice you have got on this forum, if I do say so myself.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
ALRIGHT ANNNNND IM BACK!
So I have been looking at what I wanted, and want out of this bike, what the bike needs. I have also been looking at what you guys look for in a bike and what you guys look to do with these bikes. I have read through some of the posts and projects you guys have complimented. As well as looked at the ideas/work you guy have bashed on. It is pretty clear you guys focus on returning the bikes to optimal riding condition, with variation of purpose for doing so, such as racing reasons, handling reasons, comfort reasons, and/or safety reasons.

I also want to point out that from the day I bought this bike to today a lot has changed. I don't just see different things on the bike when I look at it, I look at it differently all together I'll never give you old farts all the credit but you sure as hell deserve a lot of it. I want to say thanks, for not dismissing me as just some hot head rocket ship builder, and for pointing me into the right direction. I will continue to read and learn more about the basics.

As for the bike, It has served me quite a bit already I got a lot of hands on,
changed the oil,
changed the spark plugs,
changed the stator,
flushed the clutch,
cleaned the carburetors, and
changed some dried out/cracked o-rings, and fuel lines.

So where am I going with all this, well although I value your inputs I don't think I have the same goals as you guys. I know the title of this thread has cafe racer in it I now see how thats a bit of a fail. Not because its not possible but because its not really what I wanted, not right now any way. This Bike is purely for educational purposes. (For the record If I really wanted race bike I would have gone for something sporty-er.) I bought this bike because "all it needed was a new stator" (I quickly realized It needed much more than that, but nothing that couldn't be done under a couple hundred bucks.), anyway my literal thought process was Ill buy it and learn as much as I can if it runs great, worst case scenario I sink a couple hundred bucks into a bike that I can dissect to learn my way around. Over time from surfing the web I got a bit... ok way to ambitious and pretty much tryed to build a "rocket ship", but the point is I have checked myself, before I could have wrecked myself.

Whats next? I will take your advice and finish servicing the bike before modifying it any further (yes this includes putting dual shocks on it Ya HAPPY lol :) Bring it as close to stock with out sinking too much $$ into it, and with out welding the rear end back haha! (for the record bought it with the rear end chopped) Once I have done that I might(depends on the weather I live in new england) ride it to get a feel riding motorcycles on road (like getting used to traffic and shit), and then making modifications, I eventually will try the monoshock conversion maybe on this bike maybe on another build. Down the road look into buying something sporty-er (I know bike builder who was selling a 1982 Kz750 for $800 looked mint I mean ride it off his front yard and register it M-I-N-T).

I do want to thank you guys for your ruthless commitment to not letting me build a rocket ship jet pack boat time machine.

However I would like know from you guys a simple yes or no. (since nobody ever answered my question) I understand that I could be risking my life if with my skills and if you consider everything...

Is it possible to put a functional Monoshock suspension on my 1984 Honda Shadow Vt700c?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The fact that you have survived and stayed around to page 9 of your thread says alot. :cool:

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The answer to the "can I fit a monoshock to a VT750C" question is: Not by you. Not with your skills. Not with your knowledge base. Not on a budget using worn out unsuitable monoshocks off e b a y .

I could do it for about $1.6K. But that's me. Like done properly.

You need to buy a learners bike and ride it for a year or two.

Start a thread called " What bike should I buy: to learn to ride, gain experience and survival skills? ".

Go buy some REAL protective riding gear, and go do two MSF riding courses. Buy a TU250X tomorrow.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thanks for the estimate Witworth I have read enough of your comments on the forum to know your not completely full of shit all the time, and you helped me a bit, so I'll acknowledge and agree that I cant do the conversion with my current skills, or knowledge....but by next week I'm positive I'll be ready ;)
Oh and plus I wouldn't want you to think Im getting cocky or something.

Why would I start a thread asking you what bike should I buy, Im buying a bike for me It should be based on what I want, and what I'm looking for in a bike not what you think will be good for me.

However I would like to know form the other guys as well what are their answers are to my question....

Is it possible to put a functional Monoshock suspension on my 1984 Honda Shadow Vt700c?
geeto67
Jag
Tced
raven
Hillsy
kenessex
Mark
Wyldasidcnkaisdnyd

lookin at you guys....

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
" Why would I start a thread asking you what bike should I buy, Im buying a bike for me It should be based on what I want, and what I'm looking for in a bike not what you think will be good for me? "

That comment shows all experienced riders and posters on this forum why you need to start a thread called:

" What bike should I buy: to learn to ride, gain experience and survival skills? ".

The answer to your question from just about all the regular and experienced posters here is : No Monoshock for you.

You are trippin' here: " but by next week I'm positive I'll be ready. :) " If you think can gain the knowledge and skills necessary to complete this " mod " from a few forum questions, you are joking. Most guys with the necessary skills have gained their experience, hands on, over decades, not weeks.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Not to be that much of a cop out, but it's not a very bright question.
anything can be done. You could make this thing the first motorcycle to go to the moon with enough resources.
but what does that prove? Nothing.

can you put a mono shock rear on that just looks the part? Don't care about the decrease in function? Sure any idiot that looks at pipe burn can.

can you put a mono shock rear on that performs better then stock? I guess. But back to how we measure the improvement.

what I'm getting at is there is zero actual point.

the better question is "would a mono shock make my bike work better?" And the answer is no.

stop looking at the project. Start looking at the problem.
In your case you don't actually have a problem to solve. So you are trying to do work for the sake of work, and that's stupid.

you should identify a weakness in a bike and then try and improve it.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The bike that has inspired this fevered quest to plug a hole in your lusting imagination is a total lump of junk and borderline lethal.

IMG_3581.jpg

I'll leave it to others to point out it's glaring faults. I keep hitting the ball, and it just goes over your head and out of the ballpark.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Jag I know,
that was a longer than a yes or no, but it was appreciated and noted.
I'm asking not because Im going to proceed in that direction. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it you guys keep dodging the question, and answering "the questions i should be asking" I really do appreciate that but i just wanted to know thats all.

That is what Im looking at now I know the bike does have problems I am focusing on those problems. (Not the suspension right now)
I'm actually looking into how I'm going to measure the differences.
Im going to work on those weaknesses after i put it back together.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
what do you mean?
That you are persistent, and there is hope for you to create something safe and functional. Most people run away at the first hint of criticism.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
To answer your direct question, yes a functional monoshock rear suspension can be put on a VT750. Unlike Witless and his nonsensical estimations and unadulterated B.S. I could do it for under $400 including an excellent used rear shock (unlike witworth I can think of several,none from Yamaha, that will work) and paying a reputable welder.

However, there are other issues with the VT750, like the rear wheel and front suspension that would require attention to make it a good handling bike.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
To answer your direct question, yes a functional monoshock rear suspension can be put on a VT750. Unlike Witless and his nonsensical estimations and unadulterated B.S. I could do it for under $400 including an excellent used rear shock (unlike witworth I can think of several,none from Yamaha, that will work) and paying a reputable welder.

However, there are other issues with the VT750, like the rear wheel and front suspension that would require attention to make it a good handling bike.
Four hundred dollars worth of barn job junk, I say.

You've got the job. :)

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Four hundred dollars worth of barn job junk, I say.

You've got the job. :)

Danger, is my business.

You really are a complete moron, aren't you?
You simply are unable to comprehend that you haven't a single clue about building anything from parts that are not designed specifically for that particular model, so in your feeble little parts changer mind it can't be done. To live in such a tiny little box is beyond pathetic and borders on insanity. This just gives more credence to the supposition that you have in fact never built or modified anything. Even in this thread the only pictures you have posted have been only testimony to your ability with Google images. You don't substantiate any claim you make and you do not make any credible contribution to the thread. You have not once stated what any particular problem is except to say that it is dangerous or stupid or beyond somebody else's ability and beneath your expertise.
Once again, I am sure that I could monoshock a VT750 for under $400 and it would prove to be an improvement in suspension and handling. You try and show me where it couldn't be done. Of course it wouldn't be bolt on so it would be beyond your ability and at this point, beyond your comprehension.

P.S. Just to alleviate any ambiguity, "YOU SUCK"

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
You really are a complete moron, aren't you?
You simply are unable to comprehend that you haven't a single clue about building anything from parts that are not designed specifically for that particular model, so in your feeble little parts changer mind it can't be done. To live in such a tiny little box is beyond pathetic and borders on insanity. This just gives more credence to the supposition that you have in fact never built or modified anything. Even in this thread the only pictures you have posted have been only testimony to your ability with Google images. You don't substantiate any claim you make and you do not make any credible contribution to the thread. You have not once stated what any particular problem is except to say that it is dangerous or stupid or beyond somebody else's ability and beneath your expertise.
No.

I've made many valuable contributions to this thread, going by others positive responses to my suggestions.

You've got the job.

BTW, I have been a M/C shock, fork service and chassis repair professional over many, many years. I've got far better things to do now.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
The only guy blowing smoke up your ass is the guy who started this thread - and he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Better things to do? I wish you did.

81 - 100 of 299 Posts