Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks... I loved that fairing style. The one I had on my RD350 was a bit like that. I like the livery too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Geeto, Have you seen that fairing reproduced anywhere? That would be a fantastic look on my 750.

Thanks,
Billy

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I soaked the carbs overnight in some water with a little detergent added. It loosened the gunk up well enough to brush it away with an old toothbrush. I gave them a rinse with the garden hose then took the tops off. The good news is the diaphragms are just fine! I think I might be able to give these a good cleanup and they'll work OK. I'll let them dry out and get after them with some carb cleaner next.

carburetors VF700S first cleanup 002.jpg

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I've been working on cleaning these carbs. What a mess! One of the float bowls had a lot of corrosion and aluminum oxide deposits in it. After a good soak in the water and detergent I brushed them off with a toothbrush then dried them. After taking out all the jets and slides I cleaned everything with carb cleaner and a small wire brush. ALL of the idle jets were clogged up but I managed to get them cleaned out with a fine wire with no damage to the jet.

The float bowl with the corrosion was a challenge. That white film of aluminum oxide would flake off but not clean off with solvent so I poured some white vinegar in it! Vinegar has acetic acid and it turns the aluminum dark and helps dissolve the aluminum oxide. After that I scrubbed some more with the wire brush and rinsed it well with water and as a final step I used a small wire wheel on a Dremel tool to get in the bowl and clean out any remaining stuff. This is what I ended up with. The corrosion didn't hurt any of the brass parts so I should be OK.

carbs clean 004.jpg

I think this corrosion was caused by the water in the bowl reacting with the two dissimilar metals (brass and aluminum) which created a galvanic reaction.

The carbs are now put back together and installed on the bike. Tomorrow I'm going to get some gas in them and see if it will fire up and run.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Part four shot this weekend. Brake and clutch masters rebuilt, calipers freed up, progress on the gas tank.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Won't the Blue foam melt when you go to put fibre glass on it. I think when making a mold like that you need to put masking tape all over what you want to mold and then apply the fibre glass. When I make fibre glass molds I use aluminun vent/ duct tape because it has a plastic film on it that acts as a mold release.

watch what this guy does with Foam Form building and learn.

amazing!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Won't the Blue foam melt when you go to put fibre glass on it. I think when making a mold like that you need to put masking tape all over what you want to mold and then apply the fibre glass. When I make fibre glass molds I use aluminun vent/ duct tape because it has a plastic film on it that acts as a mold release.

watch what this guy does with Foam Form building and learn.

amazing!

He did mention this :"The plan is to then shape this into a gas tank, coat it with a layer of epoxy paint to seal it, then laminate it up with some fiberglass and ployester resin."

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope you realize how awesome this is for sabre owners! I'm always searching for cool ideas for my sabre, and until now I've pretty much found nothing. There have been plenty of things I've wanted to do to it, but neglect to because I can't just look it up and see if it looks good. It's so entertaining to watch you take the same bike I have and transform it into something quite radass. Keep the videos coming! :D

21 - 40 of 515 Posts