Cafe Racer Forum banner

501 - 515 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Wow! Fast work and pretty damn nice to boot!

I especially like the way the pinstripe lines up with the spark plug lead :cool:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Wow. I liked the Repsol theme, but this looks even better! Nice job. Now, go get that seat re-upholstered..... ;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #506
Wow. I liked the Repsol theme, but this looks even better! Nice job. Now, go get that seat re-upholstered..... ;)
I did that seat last night at 10:30 ... took all of 30 minutes. :) It was the last piece of the puzzle. I will for sure make a better one later. Hey, it just for "racing" right? Lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
very nice bike.
I have one technical question. I see you raised the rear end from the rear shock. It was a half inch, if I am right. I want to raise my Honda Sabres rear end also but I want to lift it big, like 4 inches. So my question is how would it affect the cardan system. Is it iven possible to lift so high only by putting a longer monoshock in there. I know that if the cardan u-joints are in a too big of a angle then it may start to vibrate and both ends will not be in a syncroniced movement.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
very nice bike.
I have one technical question. I see you raised the rear end from the rear shock. It was a half inch, if I am right. I want to raise my Honda Sabres rear end also but I want to lift it big, like 4 inches. So my question is how would it affect the cardan system. Is it iven possible to lift so high only by putting a longer monoshock in there. I know that if the cardan u-joints are in a too big of a angle then it may start to vibrate and both ends will not be in a syncroniced movement.
Why on earth would you want to do such a thing? It would seriously negatively effect the way the bike handles. I suppose with raising the rear you plan on dropping the front?

·
Registered
23,286 Posts
very nice bike.
1st question: is your driveshaft single cardon? double cardon (constant velocity)?

So the way to find out is to do this: hang bike from rafters or place jack underneath. Remove shock. raise the bike up 4". Observe bike: Does the rear tire still touch the ground? If so keep jacking up till the tire is just touching the ground. Observe bike: how much more room was there? What is the item limiting travel? measure U-joint angle. bring bike back down to 4" overstock ride height and measure U-joint angle. Move to the front of the bike, measure Rake at the neck and calculate trail. Then measure the distance between the axles for a rough estimate of wheelbase (as suspension goes up wheelbase goes down)

At the end this will tell you:
- how long a shock you will need (it will be a custom job - so be prepared to spend)
- the u-joint angles and whether they are in acceptable range (at 5000 rpm (drive-shaft not engine RPM) you should have no more than 3.25 degrees roughly)
- where you need to set the bump-stops so that you don't exceed unacceptable u-joint angle when the suspension unloads.
- how much you need to raise the front suspension to compensate for changes in rake, trail, wheelbase, and whether you will need a leading axle fork.

Or you can just buy a used bmw GS and not worry about any of this.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Well done mate. You must have got a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction out of the project, and more to come every time you go or a ride.
Pretty sure he sold it.....and the CB750 in his other build thread.

501 - 515 of 515 Posts