Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem with making this bike a true cafe racer is the steering geometry. Since it is clear that you are going to do this project and that you have some talent, may I suggest that you consider lowering the front end. I lowered mine about an inch so that I could ride it safely and be more comfortable. I have a Ducati so I like the rider position of my Sabre as a daily rider for around town and on the freeway. It makes decent power, although it leaves me a bit flat after riding my DUC. Anyway, loosen the triple clamp and choke up on the fork tubes. Since you probably want to lower more than I did, you may want to cut them down a bit.

If you really want to get creative, change the steering rake. If you made the steering rake a bit steeper, it would turn in more quickly. The Sabre rides like a cruiser, because it is a cruiser. It's basically a Magna with different body work. Having owned a V65 Magna, I do prefer the Sabre. Although my V40 is a tad underpowered, by my standards, it is a very nice bike. The motor is reliable, mine has 24K on it, and it makes nice power at all RPMs.

Mine sat out in the rain for a long time. The previous owner neglected it then bought a very nice BMW GS. I took it on because the price was right, he basically gave it to me. I have always wanted a Sabre and now I have one. My carbs were not as bad as yours, I rode it for over a year before having them cleaned. I pulled them off myself and sent them to Billy C. For those who don't want to do the work, Billy is DA MAN. Just Google him and V4 carbs, you will find him. He is reasonable and he does excellent work.

When you go to install your carbs, there is a You Tube video showing a very good way to do it. I have done it twice, once on my V65 and just now on my VF700S. I place the top set in the intake boots, slightly angled the lower boots forward, then used two long screw drivers to coax them in. I pressed down and pushed back using leverage agains the frame. I would have used a tie down, but I did not know about that method the first time, and this time I did not have one handy. It is not that difficult, if you are patient and persistent. However, the tie down method will very like save some time.

The suspension on a Sabre leaves a bit to be desired. You might look around on eBay to see if you can find a better rear shock to fit it with. You could probably use one from a sport bike, if you can't find one from a Sabre. In fact, you might look in to using one from an Interceptor. Although, it would probably have to be from newer model such as the VFR. Honda thought the world of this suspension when the built the Sabre. I believe it is essentially the same as the Interceptor from that year. The major difference with the interceptor was the steering rake. I believe it may have had a smaller front wheel. It also had a much nicer frame, but that is mostly a cosmetic thing.

One of the nice things about these bikes is they built so many of them. You can find most anything you will ever need on eBay. I replaced my forks, all of the body work, my seat, etc. with parts I found on eBay. My restoration is nearly complete. Mine will never be as clean as some I have seen so I opted for something a bit different. I had the body work sprayed with bed liner and various parts with flat black.

Keep posting updates, you are doing some very nice work.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for the tips! I did notice the front end seemed cruiser like, and I haven't even ridden the bike yet! I was indeed thinking of experimenting with lowering the front end after I get it running.

Part 7 is up and this week I got the fiberglass supplies so Part 8 is in the works!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am enjoying this thread. Traditional or not, the original intend of cafes was to strip everything unneccessary off and make them something more fun, right? I think you're capturing the idea perfectly.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Hey Sabre,
Any chance you could post some still pictures ? I' m thinking many members are not investing the time to watch the videos.
ed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great stuff. I just started on this forum today. Please check out my 1982 maxim rebuild. I just posted today and I will add more and more as she comes along. Cheers.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hey Sabre,
Any chance you could post some still pictures ? I' m thinking many members are not investing the time to watch the videos.
ed
Good call. I'll round up some pics this weekend and post them here. I'll be doing some fiberglassing this weekend and uploading the part eleven video as well.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Busy weekend with the bike. I finally got started with the fiberglass layup on the fuel tank. I still plan on posting some pics of the project... maybe this evening.

Here's part eleven:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Part 13 is uploaded. I went back to the stock gauges. I really don't know what I saw in that other setup... it was butt ugly. FYI... after this video was made, I moved the rectifier UNDER that cross brace to allow better cooling.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
that seat base is super flimsy. I would have have thought a layer of heavier cloth added (at least) would have been needed. Now you will have to extremely gentle in general but especially where that front tab connects. Those are very narrow and flimsy bridges you have around the tab. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yes you are missing that it's not done yet. :) I still have a lot to do on that seat to make it road worthy. Yesterday I moved the rectifier to the underside of that cross brace so now that whole front underside will get several layers of fiberglass. When it's finished it'll be good and strong and solidly mounted.
There's still a lot to do...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Uploaded part 14 today. It was mostly about the LED panel that I fabricated and mounted on the old handle bar bosses below the gauges that I installed last week. The panel also holds the new key switch that I rewired to suit my bike. It's new switch for a Suzuki four wheeler.

LED panel.jpg

I also added a little more to the rear bottom of the seat cowl. It just looks better and hides the subframe a bit more.

side view 14.jpg

This week's Hack A Week blog post has some good info and links to help out anyone interested in wiring up LEDs in the place of bulbs on a 12 volt system.

The video:

41 - 60 of 515 Posts