Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I have some questions about a new project bike I just got. Here's some pictures of how it currently looks:

IMG_3539.jpg
IMG_3541.jpg
IMG_3543.jpg

A lot's been messed up on this bike, I picked it up for just $300...but I'm absolutely determined to get this bike looking and running like a monster before the end of summer when I ship out to Navy Bootcamp. So, where should I start?? I'm wanting to make it looks like a classic cafe racer, and it the main color scheme be black and the secondary be white. Mechanically wise, there's a lot of tweeking that needs to happen, considering it has over 36,000 miles on it, I should rebuild the motor. Not to mention I'm going to need a new gas tank , and the only way it starts up is by spraying starter into the intake under the tank.... Any suggestions?:confused: I can post more pictures if needed, I've cleaned up my shop since then, so it'll be a lot easier to see the bike XD

Thanks,
CJ

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Start by getting it running. You won't know what you are dealing with until the bike is mechanically sound. Forget seats, forget tanks, forget all that garbage, the bike needs to start, idle, rev, get down the street under it's own power, and stop. You can't build a custom until you have a solid foundation and that bike is anything but a solid foundation.

It will NEVER be a "classic Cafe racer" (whatever that means) but it can be a superbike era spec racer. Google 1980's superbike racing to see what I mean.

Did you get a title? if not, can you?

Hope you have $1000 stashed away because parts alone are going to run you that before you even start the custom work.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Welcome CJ
Start by giving the carbs a thorough cleaning and see if it will run up...sometimes you get lucky and the engine needs little or no work, but IMO the only way to find out is to try and bring it to life.

Don't get too carried away with the way it looks, get it running well first and avoid silly modifications...the guys on here will steer you in the right direction if you let them.

Bravo Zulu on your induction into the Navy...Boot Camp isn't a lot of fun, but if you pay attention and do as you are told and you will have no problems...in time you may even be able to look back on it and smile. Whether you make a career of it or not, you won't regret it. Who knows, one day you may find yourself in Halifax NS on shore leave, full of Canadian beer and being drug home by a female bar fly :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks @Geeto67. I do have some money stashed away and I'm already working on the mechanics right now. I just need an extremely thorough diagnosis by a solid mechanic. I can get the title, I already have the forms filled out my the previous owner. As for the cafe racer part. I know that this bike isn't really the "cafe type" but that's why I'm wanting to combine it with some aspects of a fighter as well. I understand what I'm getting myself into and I'm up to the challenge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @Goldy! I'll hit the carbs right now! Oh, I'm going in as an E-3 because of ROTC, so I guess I'm on a good path to Bravo Zulu and getting a flag because of that. I can't wait to finish this bike (I'm sure it'll never be completely finished though) and ride to the west coast and back before I ship.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Buy a battery, hook it up and see what powers up. Pull the plugs and Hit the starter and see what happens. you want to listen for some noise while you circulate some oil around, and also look for anything shooting out of the plug hole.

Buy a shop manual.

Then get to work. Carbs are going to need a rebuild (use honda OEM parts only: Hondaparts-direct.com), everything is going to need a going over but no need to take the engine out and take it apart unless you hear it is noisy. Go over all the service things listed in the tune up etc trouble shooting things as you go. Once it runs then you will know if the engine needs to come apart or not by how much smoke it produces and what noises it makes.

- - - Updated - - -

here is your inspiration

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Welcome CJ, good thing you aren't heading our way now. It's cold as f*ck ! NAVSTA Great Lakes is 10 minutes up the lake Michigan coast from us.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
FYI, stop spraying ether into a bike that hasn't run in a while. Once or twice is fine, more than that and you are going to trash the rings.

Why do you think it needs a rebuild? mileage? thats not a reason. If cared for properly the engine is good for 50,000-100,000 miles. get it running on it's own first before you decide a rebuild. These aren't cars - full engine rebuilds cost more than the bike is worth in parts alone. Unless there is water in that engine the most you may have to do is a top end from the rings up.

Why do you think it will need a new tank?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks @Geeto67, the battery on it already is still perfect, the dash lights come on and it will turn over, I got a good two throttles before it ran out of ether to burn, it sounds absolutely amazing, I was wanting to just take the motor apart, clean everything, re-grease up some parts and throw it back together, but I guess If I can avoid doing that then I will. I need a new tank because there's rust, and not to mention it's best to hell... I got my shop manual in the mail today.

Would you recommend though that I just scrap the carb and get a new one regardless or just clean it out and see if that does the job?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks @bmartin I'm definitely going to keep these videos in my pocket for reference. Thanks for serving bro, I'm going in as ABH right now, so I'll be up on that flight deck launching aircraft ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! @Dean, haha yeah I go in the cool part of winter and when it starts to get cold I graduate and go to Florida for A school XD

·
Registered
537 Posts
pretty sure you don't need to make 3 separate messages....there's these things called paragraphs.

those are cool bikes though....i almost bought a nice red/white/blue one last summer and have been kicking myself ever since for passing on it.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
pretty sure you don't need to make 3 separate messages....there's these things called paragraphs.

those are cool bikes though....i almost bought a nice red/white/blue one last summer and have been kicking myself ever since for passing on it.
Me too :(

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I understand what I'm getting myself into and I'm up to the challenge.
Sorry, but no you don't. Especially based on the ignorance of this bike that you have demonstrated. It does not have a carb. It has 4 of them joined together in the middle of the V. They are a bitch to get out, difficult to get clean and very hard to get back in. Understand that the VFR does not have separate cylinders, they are part of the upper crankcase so to put in rings, you have to split the cases. When you said you were going to pull the motor apart and regrease some things, what were you thinking? The only things to grease on that bike aren't in the engine, but the steering head bearings, swingarm pivot and the shock linkages certainly would need some grease.

BTW, the picture Geeto posted is the earlier generation VF 750. The race VFR had a full fairing, but isn't at all "cafe" or "fighter"

The VFR had a great racing history in both AMA and World Superbike. I have said it before and I am now telling you. Don't do anything stupid and try to make this bike into something that it can't and doesn't want to be. As a "cafe" bike it will look stupid and not work very well. As a "fighter" it will also look stupid and not work very well. As a sport bike it will work very well and look cool. As a sport tourer ( suitable for riding from Atlanta to the west coast) it will look cool with some soft saddle bags and a tank bag and it will work very well. Make a plan, decide what you want to do and then get to work by getting running and riding well. If you are interested in getting it checked out, take it to Marietta Motorsports and get Huey to look it over.

Don't be stupid and ignorance just takes some study. Check out VFRworld.com you have a genII vfr.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the insight @kenessex but please remember I'm new to all of this. So please don't hate, or call me ignorant. I'm learning...that's why I'm here on the forum, not to be called ignorant and that my ideas won't work. I want to know HOW to make my ideas work. What I'm wanting my final product to look like is unique, especially because it's never really been done on this motorcycle. So, unless you actually have some words of encouragement, or something helpful, then please leave. Like I said, I'm absolutely determined to create this concept in my head and have it done before August. Don't tell me what I can't do, only how to do the stupid things I want to. I'm not wanting fairings, I'm wanting the back end raised slightly, completely different cluster, lights, tank, seat, and possibly an adjusted frame the seat I decide on. Not to mention some performance mods including a re-vamped exhaust.

I'm not being ignorant, I'm being bold, there's a difference between the two.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks for the insight @kenessex but please remember I'm new to all of this. So please don't hate, or call me ignorant. I'm learning...that's why I'm here on the forum, not to be called ignorant and that my ideas won't work. I want to know HOW to make my ideas work. What I'm wanting my final product to look like is unique, especially because it's never really been done on this motorcycle. So, unless you actually have some words of encouragement, or something helpful, then please leave. Like I said, I'm absolutely determined to create this concept in my head and have it done before August. Don't tell me what I can't do, only how to do the stupid things I want to. I'm not wanting fairings, I'm wanting the back end raised slightly, completely different cluster, lights, tank, seat, and possibly an adjusted frame the seat I decide on. Not to mention some performance mods including a re-vamped exhaust.

I'm not being ignorant, I'm being bold, there's a difference between the two.
Fuck me sideways. I'm sorry mate but all you're going to end up doing is bastardising a perfectly good bike for the sake of being 'unique'. You want to be unique? Then customise a bike so that it actually rides better than before you laid your mitts on it - you know, in the spirit of a real cafe racer.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
CJ,
Don't take being ignorant as a negative, take it as what it means, which is, that you do not currently have the knowledge about a given topic. In this case you do not know anything about a VFR . I am pretty sure I made that clear in my previous post. Ignorance can be remedied by study and research. I can't tell you how to make your ideas work if I don't know what they are and if it is even possible to do safely. Furthermore, my comments and suggestions will always be based on function first and aesthetics last if at all. I have offered you plenty of help, like take it to Marietta Motorsports and get it checked out, like the carbs are a pain to deal with, like there is nothing to grease in the engine, like grease your bearings, like get it running first to decide what to do to make it be what you and it want to be. I'll even give you some more free help: you are going to need to do some suspension work, that rear shock wasn't that good new and has not improved any in the last 25 years, same for the forks. You will need some new springs, seals and oil regardless of what you eventually do.

So, I am not hating on you or your bike. I like the VFR's, they are a great bike. I am not calling you stupid and ignorance of a specific topic is not insulting or demeaning, it is just a fact. Educate yourself or take the advice of others when they offer it up. I was the service manager of Action Honda Suzuki in Marietta when your VFR was a new model. We probably sold it originally since we were the number 5 Honda motorcycle dealer in the country. I have been around the block more than once so you can take my advice or leave it, but don't start whining because you don't like hearing facts or the truth. I am guessing that with your 9 posts and my 4500 over my past 8 years on this site that I won't be leaving soon. Congrats on your proposed entry into the military and a presumptive thanks for your service, but I don't think an over inflated sense of entitlement will carry you very far in the Navy.

So, here are my words of encouragement. If your ultimate goal is to have a naked bike that you can safely and comfortably ride from Atlanta to California by August, then you will want to fix the suspension, figure out how to remove all the rear end plastic and seat (cause it looks stupid without the fairings) yet still maintain the seat to footpeg to handlebar locations, because the VFR was a very comfortable long range sport tourer. One of the best Honda ever made. I would make a new rear subframe that would put the seat where it currently is based on whatever seat you decide to do. I would also rep[lace the wheels with some 17" ones of a CBR600F2.

There ya go Sparky.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts