Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been working on a 1988 Kawasaki Ninja 750R and making into a cafe. I just finished making a hump seat for it and taking the dents out of the gas tank. I plan to cover the tank and seat in carbon fiber vinyl wrap and then upholstering the cushion in red synthetic suede. The frame will be bright red and the rims will be black with red stripe. I plan to have a white and black checkerboard run across the top. Ive modified the gauges and headlight and plan to clean up the wiring up front. Here are some pics:

Started with this:

Stripped of the plastics:

Made a seat and straightened the tank:

Made twin round LED tailights that are super bright:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome to the forum. I appreciate your opinion but the problem is that it was far from "perfectly nice". The plastics were in quite poor shape and the headlight and instruments were "rigged" with tie wraps and a piece of metal, I suppose I could have located a perfect set of new plastics and a headlight and instrument mount but Im sure those are rarer than the bike.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
ill never understand trying to force something into something that is not nor ever be
Even more so when the base could have been used to do something way better

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm curious what I could have done to make it better? Certainly not restoring it to original since perfect plastics are rare if not impossible to find.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Even a street fighter would have been better, at the very least it would have fit what the bike actually is.

While im not a kawi guy, I cant see that the plastics could be that hard to find. Geeto has a NOS set up for his fathers 80 something ZX10 that he didnt buy that long ago

But really this is just a debate about style and has nothing to do with the bike. But to me this is like making a monster truck out a mini cooper.....just odd.
Have you done anything to actually improve the motorcycle as a motorcycle?
are you making any mods that make things worse?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you want me to lie to you and tell you it's "pretty". this ain't "Do the ton", there is no validation for validation sake.

kudos for trying to do it yourself, and I am sure you are really proud of your work and all, but at some point even you had to step back and say...."man, that really looks like I have a mailbox mounted to the back of the bike."

those 750 ninjas aren't exactly falling off trees, they are kind of rare bikes and were very good in stock form.

I think the only reason I am not being more of a douche is because you own a bronzit e30 convertible just like the one I just sold. Freakin loved that car.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Usually there is a look that's appealing even if some of the components are functionally or ergonomically incorrect. This bikes styling was done with angular slashes in the tank, seat, frame and graphics. That thing on the back looks like a pickup cap for a Tonka truck.
ed

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
That was the only bike that I had to borrow a trailer to get me home. Stupid alternator belt....

The styling is really hard to convert to a cafe look because it was designed as an integrated look and naked is not a good look. That said, there are possibilities. I'd be tempted to make a new subframe for the rear to make it cleaner and I'd try to use at least the front part of the stock seat and play with shapes for the rear end.

Try different color schemes on the tank to change the visual shape. Matte black is a bit old and overdone and is more early streetfighter than cafe style. Try gloss black with silver or gold stripes or accents to change the tank's appearance.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
mark,

please add your city and state to your profile.

welcome to the site.

tex

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bike is not done yet. The color is primer as that's where I'm at with it. When I get some color on it it should look better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't mind criticism at all but to the haters on here (tc, geeto, jaguar, etc.), can I see what bikes you have built?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Mark,
Did you read this forum before you joined?
I think you might have had a wrong idea of what this forum is like/about?

The "philosophy" here here is more of form follows function rather than playing dress up (bike or the rider). Don't be so quick call people haters if they speak their mind - that is the kind of forum this is. Cherish it or don't, that is how it is. It is silly to start calling peeps haters or complain about the nature of the discourse - after all you are the new guy.

I agree with the critics that the new seat is boxy and a shape that doesnt flow at all. Matte black is very cliche - i get that this is temp. Good. But i don't see how this will ever have a 'feel' of a vintage race bike. That is somewhat your goal right? I question the goal too. A bit like buying 80's sporty sedan and try to make it look like early 70s rally/club racing car. Makes no sense.

I,and seems most of the peeps on this forum, prefer improving the functionality of the bike and cherish what it is.

Edit: typos

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DeusExMaxima

I don't mind criticism at all but to the haters on here (tc, geeto, jaguar, etc.), can I see what bikes you have built?
sure, come to my garage. I'll even let you ride them.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Its not hate to have an opinion that your bike is dumb

You are just playing dress up and could have used the time and effort to play to that bikes strengths and made something that performs and looks great.
but instead you want a cookie for making a "cafe" seat?

Seems like alot of other boards think its super cool what you are doing, so why look for other places?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts