Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have been passively looking for an 86-87 750r to go with pops 1986 1000r ninja. Harder to find than an rocking horse's asshole. I remember being a kid and sitting on one in the dealer while my dad was picking up his 86 from service (about 1989). At that time supersport racing was all 750s, not 600s. By 1994 a green zx7r was the bike every street punk with a license had to have but a black and red 86 sold me that sportbikes were for "bad men" who wanted to go fast.

Honestly, if you have the money all the plastics are available from Kawasaki. Not cheap, but available. I could reskin my pop's 86 but it would cost me like $800. I buy good spares any time I find them simply because I may need them some day.

If it were my bike I would just have hung a round headlight up front. The back end (although chunky) is brilliantly designed with integrated signals and hides all of the ugly sub frame. Maybe make a cowl to hide the passenger seat and add a chin spoiler. Cover it in contingency stickers and ride the fuck out of it.

Given the condition of the OP's rear tire the clutch on that bike is probably set to explode anyway so I guess in the end who cares how ugly he makes it, it ain't like he is going to ride it for much longer.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The GPX's didn't sell very well over here (either 600 or 750) and it was basically because compared to the GPZ's they were hit with the ugly stick. They fixed that when the ZXR750 came out of course, but that probably explains why there's not many GPX's floating around nowadays.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The GPX's didn't sell very well over here (either 600 or 750) and it was basically because compared to the GPZ's they were hit with the ugly stick. They fixed that when the ZXR750 came out of course, but that probably explains why there's not many GPX's floating around nowadays.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
In the states they weren't called GPX just Ninja 600R and Ninja 750R. the 1000 was Z1000A even though the engine cases say GPZ1000 on them.

I am surprised that the 600 didn't sell well - here in the states were are practically tripping over them. There can't be more than 1000 1987 750Rs in the country but it feels like we got all the 600Rs.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
In the states they weren't called GPX just Ninja 600R and Ninja 750R. the 1000 was Z1000A even though the engine cases say GPZ1000 on them.

I am surprised that the 600 didn't sell well - here in the states were are practically tripping over them. There can't be more than 1000 1987 750Rs in the country but it feels like we got all the 600Rs.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
No go, Ken. Spoke to aguy there just a bit ago. Said they made one long ago. Suggested Airtech. I even asked him if they had one hiding in some corner of the warehouse..... nope.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
No go, Ken. Spoke to aguy there just a bit ago. Said they made one long ago. Suggested Airtech. I even asked him if they had one hiding in some corner of the warehouse..... nope.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Aw hell, that's what I figured. Back in the day Motorcyclist did a project bike with one installed, it was bad ass. Still have that issue somewhere. I should have thought ahead and bought one in 1987.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Aw hell, that's what I figured. Back in the day Motorcyclist did a project bike with one installed, it was bad ass. Still have that issue somewhere. I should have thought ahead and bought one in 1987.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think I know where he got the inspiration for that tail section!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think I know where he got the inspiration for that tail section!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
they even have this happy little race tail for the 89 zx7 that probably could have been made to fit our now deceased OP's ninja coffee:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
they even have this happy little race tail for the 89 zx7 that probably could have been made to fit our now deceased OP's ninja coffee:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think the frame on the 1989 & up FZRs are completely different, aren't they? Delta Box, I think it was called, when the y tilted the engine forward. Not sure it would work.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think the frame on the 1989 & up FZRs are completely different, aren't they? Delta Box, I think it was called, when the y tilted the engine forward. Not sure it would work.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I thought the deltabox was the swingarm (since it physically had deltabox written on it).

At the end of the day it's a piece of plastic - take some measurements of your bike and email the company for measurements of the tail.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I thought the deltabox was the swingarm (since it physically had deltabox written on it).

At the end of the day it's a piece of plastic - take some measurements of your bike and email the company for measurements of the tail.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
True. At the end of the day it's just plastic. I may just do the seat cowl and be done with it. It's not a huge priority right now, getting it on the road is. I dropped it off at my buddys shop almost a month ago and he hasn't touched it yet. I'm gonna go by today and take the calipers off and rebuild them this weekend. The temp is supposed to drop a bit next week so I'll just start going there and working on it myself. I was getting the KZ and my Scion cleaned up and ready for sale and was hoping they'd be sold and out of the way by now to free up some work space, but both are slow moving.

Geets, as for delta box, I'm no expert but I think it's the name of the chassis design and not the swing arm but I've been wrong before. I'll look into it.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts