Cafe Racer Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
FZ seat cowl? Similar to chicken teeth, eh?
Any chance that seat cowl be sent to Mr. Monkey to bust a mold off it?

I've read that ATF viscosity can vary somewhat. 5wt-10wt, possibly?

NE

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I think ATF viscosity is basically uncontrolled and would vary greatly from brand to brand. I also think that for general street use, it doesn't matter as much as it would on the track.

Ken

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
ATF viscositity has to be at least a little consistent - otherwise our auto trannies wouldn't work (except for jaguar's since his automatic is special). ATF isn't just a lubricant - it is passed through a valve body under varying pressures which have to be maintained, otherwise the thing would just be shifting all over the place. That being said I think the viscosity varies from brand to brand with the average being about 7.5wt.

All the more reason to use "real" fork oil, and preferably 10wt. It won't make the front end "stiffer", just slower to react. If you live in an area where the streets look like the ballrooms of mars then maybe a lighter weight is what you want, but if you have glassy roads with the occasionally divot then go with the heavier weight.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

ATF viscositity has to be at least a little consistent - otherwise our auto trannies wouldn't work (except for jaguar's since his automatic is special). ATF isn't just a lubricant - it is passed through a valve body under varying pressures which have to be maintained, otherwise the thing would just be shifting all over the place. That being said I think the viscosity varies from brand to brand with the average being about 7.5wt.
I find your reasoning to be mostly incorrect.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
An automatic transmission is a pressurized system. 25 psi to a spool valve is 25 psi irregardless of the oil's viscosity.

The viscosity of ATF is more about a transmission's lubrication needs and low-temp flowability.

Which speaking of flowability I'm under the impression the only reason ATF was called for in forks was because suspension fluid was not readily available back in the 70s.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I think that's partly true. A pump making 25psi with molasses has to work harder than a pump making 25 psi with water. If you get water in an auto tranny there are fluctuations in pressure. All the auto trans "miracle cures" are usually heavier weight oils and they work for a short time but usually end up killing the components.

If it is a matter of close enough is good enough, I'll agree with you there. I don't think an auto trans really notices the difference between 7wt and 8 wt.

Completely agree about why they use ATF - availability is always key.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
availability, cost and relatively small viscosity range is why I suggested that it would work fine for street application where it was being used as a flush in lieu of a disassembly and rebuild.

Ken

·
Registered
5,778 Posts

Here is a shot of my FZ with an FZR seat cowl, which I used as a race tail. I think it could be made to work as a street seat with a little effort. I just drilled holes and used zip ties and number plate background material to cover the ugly.

Ken

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm gonna order one of the seat cowls from Airtech and see what I can do with it. They suggest using Velcro which is kinda cheesy. I think I can probably fab some tabs and drill holes to get it close to working like the factory ones. Not a huge priority now. Tomorrow is reassemble time. I've got a good 5-6 hours set aside so barring any unforeseen problems, I will hopefully have an operational bike again, then off to DMV Monday and I'll be on the road!!!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
IIRC the FZRs use the same rear seat. The bodywork's not the same, but a cowl from one may be close to working.

It was mean of me to post a pic of my extra cowl. I'm an FZ hoarder there's no way I could let that go.

Mr Essex, Does your FZ have different rearsets on it?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Doesn't anyone offer a MotoGP M1 style seat for the little fizzers? Stock style is very podgy at the back end and would benefit from a lighter/taller/cleaner look without cutting much off apart from the two luggage loops

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
back in the day they did but I haven't seen one advertised in quite some time. airtech has an "R1" conversion tail that looks like it might work with the FZ but eh...it's hit or miss.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I looked at that one when I built the FZR400 for SWMBO a couple of years ago and it's pretty large. The current M1 has a really neat and small seat design that I believe could be adapted slightly to work on an FZ or FZR chassis.

I'm tempted to just make one, but too many projects ahead of that line at the moment. Maybe when it gets too cold to ride, I can close the garage doors, crank up the heater and start making fiberglass stuff - then again, maybe not.

Lacomoto make one for teh 2004-2006 R1 but at 300 Euro pls undertail it's a bit much to hack about and modify...

It's also not exactly the same as a current M1

Check out the lines of the white paint as it reaches/crosses the tank. On an FZR that could be glass to match the frame shape. I think that would be a clean upgrade for an FZR, but then again, maybe that's just me....

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
OK. That makes sense. I was looking for a cleaner, updated look for our mini fizzer. We're going in the opposite directions in time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to say it bro, but you were WAYYYYY OFF... its now 15 years later and I bought an 87 Ninja 750R in June... I got it home and (this is on me for not doing a good inspection) and when I went to take the fairings off I discovered they were being held together with more glue than plastic (lol this is an exageration). The left front fairing actually fell apart in 3 pieces where it's supposed to hold the windshield), So I started looking on Ebay and believe it or not, ALL of the pieces are/were available (not cheap, and some in rough shape) But I swear to God bro, not even 6 days later a guy who lived a 2 hour drive from me had a complete set that I bought for a hundred bucks.... Now like the other guy who posted all I need is that front fender... My point is this:

I had fairings in way worse shape than yours (like I said, more glue than plastic), and I didn't go and destroy the bike. I painted the tank and went from white and red plastic to the black ones just like you have, I worked on this bike all summer and I've got an all original 87 750R that I'm into for Maybe $1900.00 Canadian. and you know what, I'm 99% sure that I'll get every dime back out of it if not more because I didn't do what you did.

I know you've probably long forgotten about this mistake in your past, all I can say is that I bet you learned from it when you tried to get some money back for your finished product or if you just ended up turning it into a basket case...

Why didn't you go with a street fighter look is my question... ???

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
Why didn't you go with a street fighter look is my question... ???
Was street fighter even a thing 10 years ago? I thought that fad came about because so many people had crashed the fairings off their sport bike and decided they didn't ride fast enough to need fairings anyway.

·
Registered
808 Posts
stretfighter has been around for at least 20 years by now. all those 90's gsxr7/11. cafe would be coming up for 10 years now.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts