Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Your four letter word vocabulary will be second to none when this project is finished.

·
Registered
33 Posts
vaasmoto I just stumbled on your build. Have you made any progress? I too picked up a 2008 BMW R1150R, with the plan of doing some kind of stripped down build to. I wont say cafe racer, because I think it would require too much reworking of the frame and electronics, and not "vintage" enough to strip down to be a "cafe racer". But I was hoping to do something closer to a modern classic look, think RnineT with a more upright comfortable positioning for longer trips and day-to-day riding.
I stripped it down to bones, removed ABS, and exhaust (catalytic converter), 100+ pounds of plastic.
Biggest issues are a tank. That original tank is god awful. Because of the fuel pump in tank, I found the K100 tank to be a good fit.
I am still cranking away and hope to have it close to road worthy in a few month.
Here's a pick from the tank hunt. Would be curious to hear how your build is going.
Grab 2.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lol, well, obviously not as is in the photo. That was a quick snap when I picked up the tank. It has been modified, and the frame has been modified as well. I'll post some pics of the current state of the build when I get back to shop later next week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lol, well, obviously not as is in the photo. That was a quick snap when I picked up the tank. It has been modified, and the frame has been modified as well. I'll post some pics of the current state of the build when I get back to shop later next week.

·
Registered
BMW r1100rs
1 Posts
Hello to Vaasmoto and to everyone here.
Good luck with your project man and i hope its going through nicely.
I also chose this bike for my project and see the picture for the results so far. (I didn't have to mess with the engine or the shaft myself)

I wanted to ask about fuel consumption after losing the airfilter box and using clamp air filters.
Or what generally I should expect.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I also chose this bike for my project and see the picture for the results so far. (I didn't have to mess with the engine or the shaft myself)
View attachment 104493

I wanted to ask about fuel consumption after losing the airfilter box and using clamp air filters.

Thank you in advance.
Hi Dimitri,

It's been two years since the OP signed on to this site. You'd probably be better off posting an intro and then starting your own thread on your bike.

I know nothing about BMWs so can't really offer anything on that front. But I'd bet big money the OP hasn't got a clue about BMW fuel consumption either...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
My standard 1100RS would return around 35mpg on short trips going up to 50 on longer ones.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
View attachment 104493

Thank you in advance.
Oiled felt pod filters, or are they paper?
Your bike is fuel injected, you won't notice much other then increased induction noise if the filters are oiled properly. Where did you vent your crankcase breather that would normally intake clean air from the air box and expel oily blow-by gasses and collect oil residue into the bottom half of the air box?

Boxer twin engine is a huge air pump.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts