Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ah yes, the infamous "max" oil line. Funny thing. If you look at different 900ss's you'll see different oil level stickers on the side covers. This one has the "Max" line where the "Min" line is on others.

Trust me, it's supposed to have more oil in it than that Max line would indicate. This one is a bit over filled now but the engine hasn't been turned over yet either, I'll drop a bit once it has.

In the end if you get it right around the level of the two holes in the plate behind the glass you should be good. But don't do this with it on the sidestand.

I also put the tank back on, just so I could feel like I was making progress.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Ah yes, the infamous "max" oil line. Funny thing. If you look at different 900ss's you'll see different oil level stickers on the side covers. This one has the "Max" line where the "Min" line is on others.

LOVED vented covers on those clutches! But I also liked the airbox sound with the "mod" (no lid, zip tied in filter, I'm a noise junky.

Trust me, it's supposed to have more oil in it than that Max line would indicate. This one is a bit over filled now but the engine hasn't been turned over yet either, I'll drop a bit once it has.

In the end if you get it right around the level of the two holes in the plate behind the glass you should be good. But don't do this with it on the sidestand.

I also put the tank back on, just so I could feel like I was making progress.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
LOVED vented covers on those clutches! But I also liked the airbox sound with the "mod" (no lid, zip tied in filter, I'm a noise junky.
When people ask why the bike is so noisy I tell them they make about 3hp more with the oil a quart low so all the cool kids run them like that.

With no airbox lid there is a certain rpm that gets literally painful for me, especially if tucked in. My ears already ring 24/7, no reason to make it worse.

If you like noise you'd love this bike, even the front brakes rattle on it. I should post a video on what true "free floating" rotors look/sound like. Hmm... in fact I'm not doing anything important right now, hang on...

This doesn't show how horrible it sounds when you take a bike with these rotors and roll it backwards. Or how they rattle when you turn the bars just sitting there. "Refined" is not a word you'll see used to describe Super Sports from this era.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Floating rotors freaked me out the first time I had a bike with them.

Reactions: woodsman

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Floating rotors freaked me out the first time I had a bike with them.
It never fails that each spring, the first time I move a bike that has them I get freaked out. They make noises that "normal" bikes just don't make. I wonder how many SPs have been overlooked because "dude, those brakes are trashed!"?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
d, ever use dynojet or kn jetting kits in a carb ss? putting my 750 back together, which didnt come with stock airbox, thanks
I used a Dynojet kit in my SP a lot of years back. Worked fine, though you likely also have to replace the emulsion tubes which aren't included in the kit.

This is a common issue with the stock carbs and gets overlooked a lot. The one on the right is used. The bike fouled plugs regularly, the PO thought it was just one of things Ducatis do.

Edit: D'oh! I lied. It was a Factory Pro kit I used, not Dynojet.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts