Shiny things! More shiny things!
The aftermarket slave cylinder deserved a new braided line, so I got one from Galfer. Came with the bolts and washers, gotta like that. I've used Galfer stuff before and have been happy with them, including when I sent a new line back to them for mods (for a non-standard application). They did it fast for a very fair price.
Installing the slave cylinder was a bit of a pain. All three bolts holding the old one on were stuck and had to be drilled out. That wasn't too bad. But then I put the new one on without the included spacer. They say you don't need it if the rod in the engine sticks out 30mm. I did a rough measurement, did the conversion in my head and thought "yeah, that'll work". In my defense, it's easier to add it if you need it than to remove it if you don't, so I bolted it on (new bolts were included) and started bleeding it.
I've done these before, there's a trick to it. The bleeder is down on the cylinder, much lower than the master cylinder. No worries, one of my SSs didn't have any bleeder on the clutch line. Anywhos... Pretty soon it became obvious things weren't right, so I pulled it off and measured the rod stick out more accurately. oops. 26mm. No biggie, slip the spacer in there and reinstall. BUT WAIT - the cylinder is full of fluid now, I need to make sure the master isn't full because when I slowly push the cylinder on, it will force fluid back up into the reservior.
Let me back up a little. This bike has the integral rectangular reserviors. I hate them. There are two ports in the floor, one of them shoots fluid up whenever the lever is pulled. Pull it fast with the cover off and it shoots fluid up and out. I did own one bike that had a little deflector mounted, but this one doesn't So yeah, pull the lever slow, watch out for geysers. But back to the slave cylinder install. I put the cylinder in place, and started to SLOWLY press it into position.
Stiction. Static friction is greater than dynamic friction. It takes more effort to START something moving than it does to keep it moving.
"Gently" pressing on the cylinder when D'OH! In one bump it's mostly on and there's a blast of fluid launched out of the master. Fack me.
I HATE the feel of brake fluid. Despise the stuff really. Cleaning it up isn't fun, the good news is, the stream was aimed away from the bike so no harm there. Still though, nasty stuff.
Ok, so clean up is done, cylinder is bolted fully inplace, back to bleeding and it feels much more better. But still not right. It still needs the secret step. Take the bike off the front and rear stands. Lean it to the side so the outlet of the master is lower than the body. Slowly squeeze the lever... and you can hear the air bubbles rushing out of the master. Pull the lever once or twice more. Done. Fully bled. Clutch is nice and smooth, and easier than stock.
I'm already dealing with this nasty stuff so why not replace the 20 year old fluid in the brakes too. The rear one went without incident. To the front then. Take the screws out of the reservoir lid. It's stuck on there. Smack it with the handle of a screwdriver, no joy. Pry on it with my fingers and... POOF! It breaks loose and the expanding rubber gasket thingie splashes fluid all over me. Son of a bitch! I hate brake fluid. Glad I wear glasses. Swear a bit, fast forward a bit. Clean up number two done, shirt changed, brakes bled without further incident. No need to lean the bike this time since there was no air in it to begin with. Fill the reservior, put the lid back on, and realize I need to pull the front wheel still. Which means I'll be bumping the pads apart to make it easier to get the caliper off and on. Which means I'll be forcing fluid up into the reservior. The one I just filled.
Off comes the cover, Mityvac the level down, back on with the cover... and done working for the day since this all took a lot longer than it should have.
Back the next day to put on the chain. Cut it to length. Slipped the master link in place and started on the rivets. I'll spare you the details on this one, short story is I broke one of the smaller pins for pushing the links apart when I tried to use it to peen the rivet (I thought I had changed it out but must have removed and reinstalled it). That figured out I peened both rivets... and noticed one of them had cracked where the material moved. I'm 95% sure it'd be ok... dag nabbit. Ordered a new master link and a replacement pin for the chain tool. I'll break the chain again next week and do it right this time.
And the final chapter in this episode - I've been trying to come up with a hold down for the EarthX battery that uses the stock battery straps. I took three versions to get there but I think this one will work.
I've had the printer for almost two years. This is the first useful thing I've printed, for myself anyway. Tons of ideas for thigns, but this is the first thing I drew up and printed that serves a purpose. There is one more screw up I could share but I'll save that until the battery cables are being hooked up.
They say we are our own worst critics. I've screwed up so many things the past few days I took today off and went for a ride instead. The V2 Streetfigher has had it's first service so no more rpm limit. Woo hoo!