Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 Why the hell is my motor so HOT...I mean I know they they get hot but I'm sure mine is running a bit too hot. Oil is fine, timing is on...not sure what it could be.

#2 Noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the breather hole on top of the valve cover. What the hell is up with that....just started yesterday. I don't have an actual breather tube attached...as i have pods.

Thanks guys, Tim

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
How hot is hot?
It will be over 220~350f around exhaust side of cylinder head, the cases will get over 175~190f.
It's probably condensation evaporating off now weather has got a bit warmer.

PJ

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
How hot is hot?
It will be over 220~350f around exhaust side of cylinder head, the cases will get over 175~190f.
It's probably condensation evaporating off now weather has got a bit warmer.

PJ

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like REAL HOT...both points covers get really hot, as well as the crank cases.

Maybe trying a different oil? Synthetic, 10w-30 as opposed to 40 weight?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like REAL HOT...both points covers get really hot, as well as the crank cases.

Maybe trying a different oil? Synthetic, 10w-30 as opposed to 40 weight?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
go get an infrared thermometer. I don't think they are that expensive.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482327000P?vName=Tools&keyword=thermometer

you can probably borrow a pro-grade one from any place that does tool rental.

or you can go get an old fashoned meat therometer and drop it in the oil after a hard ride - much cheaper. If you are seeing 300 degrees or more in the oil then yes there is something wrong.

typically an overheating aircooled bike will begin to "run funny", detonating and such.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
go get an infrared thermometer. I don't think they are that expensive.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482327000P?vName=Tools&keyword=thermometer

you can probably borrow a pro-grade one from any place that does tool rental.

or you can go get an old fashoned meat therometer and drop it in the oil after a hard ride - much cheaper. If you are seeing 300 degrees or more in the oil then yes there is something wrong.

typically an overheating aircooled bike will begin to "run funny", detonating and such.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try it tomorrow!

Now, what about the smoking from the valve cover where the breather tube is supposed to be?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try it tomorrow!

Now, what about the smoking from the valve cover where the breather tube is supposed to be?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not much...but enough for me to go WTF when I saw it.

Rode it a few miles at varying speeds after I noticed the smoke...she runs fine.

Lets say its enough to be annoying...not just a little puff every now and again.

Clean smoke...not black or anything

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not much...but enough for me to go WTF when I saw it.

Rode it a few miles at varying speeds after I noticed the smoke...she runs fine.

Lets say its enough to be annoying...not just a little puff every now and again.

Clean smoke...not black or anything

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that should go into a catch bottle. or use one of those little filter thingers. or a long hose routing out to the til of the bike. or down the spine. i wouldnt recommend having it dump in front of or onto your rear tire.

yeah, you wont be able to touch the engine once its hot.

j

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that should go into a catch bottle. or use one of those little filter thingers. or a long hose routing out to the til of the bike. or down the spine. i wouldnt recommend having it dump in front of or onto your rear tire.

yeah, you wont be able to touch the engine once its hot.

j

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
wisps of smoke are normal. If you owned a chevy v-8 I would so go pull the breather cap off the valve cover for comparison (i.e. it is pretty normal). Joe is right - get a lengh of hose and a can or bottle (beer or softdrink work best, I like bottles with screwtops because you can silicone a fitting right into the cap - orangina is my fav), and make a catch for it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
wisps of smoke are normal. If you owned a chevy v-8 I would so go pull the breather cap off the valve cover for comparison (i.e. it is pretty normal). Joe is right - get a lengh of hose and a can or bottle (beer or softdrink work best, I like bottles with screwtops because you can silicone a fitting right into the cap - orangina is my fav), and make a catch for it.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Rember to vent the cach can if you run a hose into the neck. If you don't, bad things can happen. The cranck case pressure will build until it blows the countershaft seal or clutch pushrod seal out. Then all of that really hot oil blows out onto your left calf and foot and all over your rear tire. Then you fall down with your already fried left leg trapped under the steaming hot motor as you slide down the road in rush hour traffic with a beer truck right behind you. (it could happen just like this, I bet)

Ken

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
what ken said. make sure the vent is as large as the hose you use. or bigger. bigger is better in this case.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wait I think you guys lost me.

So I should run a breather tube out into a beer can?

Where do I put the can?

Can't I just have the tube route under the bike and aim to the right or something?

It would be a shame to look at my beautiful shiney bike and spot a budweiser can zip tied to the spine under the tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts