Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
... It's too small to put a legit number on...
You might be able to work around that, number and background colour depends on the class you plan to ride but you can outline the correct sized and colour numbers with the required background colour and simply let the numbers over-cover the white with red outline appliqué you have put on there.
... is a hard concept to describe in words, hopefully you understand what I'm suggesting, here's the best I can come up with for a black on white pic example:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Are you going to add an airbox conversion kit ? I used to make them and they work a treat......mine added about 7bhp at the wheel.....
Nope, stock airbox. In part because this was supposed to be a quick, inexpensive track day toy that already is geting away from me, and also because I DETEST loud intakes, which most conversions are. I worked in vehicle NVH for years and cerain things drive me nuts... intake drone being one of them.

Finally, now that you have the Ichiban decal on it feels like we are watching a race bike build.
I was wondering if anyone would notice! FWIW that's not staying, it was just part of a series of pictures of me putting misc stuff on the numberplate and texting them out to annoy certain people (all the others were Ducati related)

You might be able to work around that, number and background colour depends on the class you plan to ride but you can outline the correct sized and colour numbers with the required background colour and simply let the numbers over-cover the white with red outline appliqué you have put on there.
... is a hard concept to describe in words, hopefully you understand what I'm suggesting, here's the best I can come up with for a black on white pic example:

That would probably work but it's moot, I have absolutely zero desire to do anything with this bike that would require numbers. If by some freak of nature the desire to race re-emerges, I'll do it on something other than this.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Nope, stock airbox. In part because this was supposed to be a quick, inexpensive track day toy that already is geting away from me, and also because I DETEST loud intakes, which most conversions are. I worked in vehicle NVH for years and cerain things drive me nuts... intake drone being one of them.
This is interesting. Is this a personal preference thing or is there something undesirable about intake induction noise vs say exhaust noise or valvetrain noise? Dry clutch?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Some intakes sound nice. Some exhaust notes are horrible. It's not an intake specific thing per se, but with intakes, subtle is good. There are quite a few cars out there that people generally think have a good sounding exhaust when it's actually the intake they are hearing.

A lot of the NVH related stuff I did was designing mufflers to make cars sound however it was the manufacturer wanted them to sound, or fix issues they had. There are a lot of exhaust notes I detest too. Loud does not equal nice, a common mistake people make. A top fueler shaking the bleachers is one thing, a box stock Harley with drag pipes is quite another. Anyway, part of the intake drone goes back to open airboxes on two valve Ducatis. Tucked in with my chin near the tank and at around 4500rpm I think it was, it felt like my helmet was going to explode so I'd always undo the mod that opened it up to begin with.

I am admitedly a bit of a pest with that stuff though. Loud anything in the wrong situation - music, TVs, intakes, whatever, stresses me out. Literally. I've left parties because I wanted to punch someone, ANYONE in the face just because the music was absolutely BLARING and people were still trying to talk. If I'm watching ZZ Top on stage and it's loud that's one thing. If I'm at a company party and people are trying to talk to me, but the DJ is blaring some inane shit and playing around with his light show, I'm gone. And background music is fine, if it's in the background! If I have to raise my voice to be heard, it's too loud. I'm constantly asking my wife to turn the TV down. I swear most people are lazy listeners and need something to be beaten into their head before it registers. But that's a whole different thread. Oh - I also very rarely have anything playing when I'm in the shop. I've found I just tune it out anyway so why bother. And if it's loud, it stresses me out, so... All THAT said, I typically stream music to my helmet when I ride. And my wife is often shocked at how loud the music is in my car when she starts it up... but in both cases, no one is trying to carry on a conversation with me when the music is playing...

Not surprisingly I typically ride with earplugs so valvetrain noise isn't usually an issue, or if it is, something's not right. My 160 had a loud valvetrain. It annoyed me when I was standing there with it but didn't bother me in the least while I was riding. I find the sound from dry clutches to be more embarrassing than anything. "No, really, that's how they sound. Nothing's wrong. Yes, it has enough oil in it..." However... my '97 900ss/sp was was the least refined bike I've ever owned. The clutch was loud, the brake rotors rattled, the exhaust anything but subtle, and I loved it. That bike had attitude for days. For cripe sakes, I had a guy move over simply because I came up behind him and let off the throttle. On overrun that thing sounded absolutely fantastic and set off every car alarm within a block of it. It's not so much that it was loud, but it was booming, you felt it as much as heard it. Unrelated but have you seen the video going around of Colin Edwards riding an electric racebike? Holy crap it sounds horrible. I like the idea of electric vehicles, including bikes, but damn we need to work on the sound.

You know what bothers me on my 851 right now??? I can here the fricking fuel pump when the engine is running. Termi pipes, open clutch cover, and I can still hear the fuel pump at idle! Damn aftermarket pumps... turned out it wasn't the problem anyway (it was a flakey relay after all) so I'll likely put the stock one back in at some point.

Never get a job doing NVH. You'll be shocked at how many vehicles annoy the hell out of you but don't bother normal people. These days my ears ring too much to be any good ID'ing the high frequency stuff (I do structural testing now) but the off idle moans and that kind of crap still make me tilt my head like a dog trying to figure out what it is. I'm often surprised at issues that "high end" cars have but apparently don't bother other people. We test drove a Mercedes SUV a few years back. Holy hell it was bad, even my wife noticed/disliked it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Add one white number plate, one red collar, and BOOM! Team colors! Olliedog Racing! Or OllieDog trackdays I suppose...

So yeah, I painted the Aprilia this week. I took a few days off work while my wife was out of town. I had more than enough time to get it all done but... I got behind almost instantly. The main problem was it started to feel like work and screw that, I'm on vacation.

This is where I ended up today.

Sharp eyed readers will notice the stock gas tank. Executive decision - I decided not to spend the time on the metal tank. I slept in this morning. Took Ollie for a walk this afternoon. The stock tank will work fine for now (and probably forever...)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I thought I was on the final stretch, but it turns out the tank has expanded so far it would be just as much work to make it fit as it would be to fix the metal tank I have. Long story short, I'm back to planning on fixing the metal tank.

I tried a vinyl plate up front but there was no way it was going to work. According to some friends who are familiar with vinyl wraps, the cheap stuff I bought isn't up to the task, I need better material. Oh well, break out the Duplicolor and striping tape.

My first trackday is next Monday. The Aprilia won't be ready. Three months in, I've lost track of the dollars spent, and it's close but still not ready.

Meanwhile... An hour or so with a $4 roll of duct tape, and done.

Yeah I know it's not the same thing but the 851 will work just fine for Monday, in fact it will work better. The day is sponsored by a Ducati dealer, and there will also be demo bikes to ride. It's been so long since I've ridden on a track (plus I've only ridden about 50 miles in the past 6 months) that I'm starting over from the beginning at novice level.

The last time I did a track day, I hadn't ridden much at all for a year or two, and I showed up on a new (under 1000 miles on it) 996 monoposto. Talk about having a bullseye on your back... I should have entered in the novice class then too but went out as an intermediate rider. Never felt at all comfortable out there, long story short the day wasn't much fun. Rain clouds were rolling in at lunch so I loaded up and went home. I haven't been to a trackday since.

This time I'll be an older guy on an ancient bike, no one will give a shit how slow I am!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Next Saturday for me!!! Can't wait.

Last time out last year I broke my clavicle. I've got a score to settle with the track.

Hot looking bike!

·
Registered
779 Posts
good work getting out. i haven't been on a track since 2006 - demo s2r800 at philip island. longer since i had a sporting ride in the hills.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok, it's not my best work but it's a track bike so I'm not going to spend the time color sanding and reclearing to get rid of the dust and orange peel. I'll probably add more graphics and maybe the aero pieces on the upper fairing, but I _think_ it's ready to put gas in. I managed to scratch the tank while putting it on but nothing major so no worries. A tank pad will likely cover it anyway. I just need to find one small enough to fit.

I need to put a front tire on it before I can move it, so it will be a few days before I see if it runs. Nope, haven't even heard it run yet. I'm not the best example of how to do this sort of stuff.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
So... the RSV had it's track debut at Gingerman Raceway last Friday.

The day was less than a full success, the bike never even made it to tech.

The gist of it was, against the advice of everyone I talked to, I never did actually RIDE the bike before I loaded it up on the trailer. I had every intention of taking it around the block at some point but there was always some reason to put it off. Anyway, loaded the bike on the trailer. Fired it up for the guy I was going to the track with. Put the tie downs on and got on our way.

Got to the track, unloaded it, fired it up to go get teched, dropped it into gear and it immediately died. Checked the sidestand bypass, did a few other checks... and decided to just leave it until lunch break. The trackday was sponsored by a local Ducati dealer and they had demo bikes. When I was running out of time to make the first session I just wandered over and arranged time on a 959 Panigale instead. Problem solved (for now).

The next session I chose a V4 Panigale S.

Then the 959 again...

Long story short, it turned out to be a great day at the track. The organizaton running it (STT - Sportbike Track Time?) did a great job, and had instructors there for the novice group (it's been almost 20 years since I've done any track riding, I'm starting over from the beginning) and for a couple sessions I was the only one from my small group to show up so I had my own personal instructor. Sunny weather, new Ducati, personal instructor... kinda hard to be upset about anything. And in my defense, I had told people "If anything goes wrong with the RSV there will be demos I can use" so I wasn't being a TOTAL idiot by not checking it out first!

During lunch I confirmed that the jumper I was using was connecting the correct posts. I didn't want to dig into it right there so the bike basically got put back on the trailer at that point. When I got home I checked out the diode pack that is sometimes an issue. Using a multimeter I got all the right responses. Putting the stock sidestand switch didn't fix anything either. In fact I still haven't figured out the problem as it's been too damn hot to work on it in the garage much.

I did figure out a work around though. The neutral switch is the master key to all the safety interlocks - when the bike is in neutral none of the other stuff (clutch switch, sidestand switch) matter. So, I grounded the neutral switch lead. This basically tells the ECU the bike is in neutral at all times so the engine will never shut down. The neutral light stays on all the time but it runs so for now that's the ticket. When I do a tidier job of kludging the lead I'll also disconnect the dash light or just put some tape over it. No big deal, I don't trust neutral lights anyway. My 750 didn't even have one.

The only catch may be if there is a lower rev limit in neutral than in gear. I don't think that's the case but yeah, I'll actually ride it to find out before I cart it off to the track again!

·
Registered
779 Posts
i'm not sure if it's relevant, but they have a tip over sensor under the seat that can do odd stuff if you fit it upside down.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
STT is a good organization. Nick is a class act and a very fair guy. Sometimes guys can be on such a power trip.

Their format is great with no one left out as far as skill level. Novice will take to all the way to super competent on the track. But is broken up into subgroups from brand new track novices to pretty decent paced guys. The trick to this is controlled passing led by the instructor. Some guys in intermediate are fast as fuck but just like passing people instead of being passed.

I just finished my 3rd this year with them at autobahn cc. It’s always a good time. Riding track is just a whole nother level over street riding. Everyone should try it. Or at least some motorcycle performance course. Even if you don’t want to go fast, it makes you a safer rider and clears up some misconceptions mainly about braking and cornering.
Then you racers are a whole nother level again...

Not the same bike, but on my gixxer, neutral puts you in a completely different map, ignition and fueling than in gear maps. I was able to remove my left switchgear finally for the trackbike without losing this.

So... the RSV had it's track debut at Gingerman Raceway last Friday.

The day was less than a full success, the bike never even made it to tech.

The gist of it was, against the advice of everyone I talked to, I never did actually RIDE the bike before I loaded it up on the trailer. I had every intention of taking it around the block at some point but there was always some reason to put it off. Anyway, loaded the bike on the trailer. Fired it up for the guy I was going to the track with. Put the tie downs on and got on our way.

Got to the track, unloaded it, fired it up to go get teched, dropped it into gear and it immediately died. Checked the sidestand bypass, did a few other checks... and decided to just leave it until lunch break. The trackday was sponsored by a local Ducati dealer and they had demo bikes. When I was running out of time to make the first session I just wandered over and arranged time on a 959 Panigale instead. Problem solved (for now).

The next session I chose a V4 Panigale S.

Then the 959 again...

Long story short, it turned out to be a great day at the track. The organizaton running it (STT - Sportbike Track Time?) did a great job, and had instructors there for the novice group (it's been almost 20 years since I've done any track riding, I'm starting over from the beginning) and for a couple sessions I was the only one from my small group to show up so I had my own personal instructor. Sunny weather, new Ducati, personal instructor... kinda hard to be upset about anything. And in my defense, I had told people "If anything goes wrong with the RSV there will be demos I can use" so I wasn't being a TOTAL idiot by not checking it out first!

During lunch I confirmed that the jumper I was using was connecting the correct posts. I didn't want to dig into it right there so the bike basically got put back on the trailer at that point. When I got home I checked out the diode pack that is sometimes an issue. Using a multimeter I got all the right responses. Putting the stock sidestand switch didn't fix anything either. In fact I still haven't figured out the problem as it's been too damn hot to work on it in the garage much.

I did figure out a work around though. The neutral switch is the master key to all the safety interlocks - when the bike is in neutral none of the other stuff (clutch switch, sidestand switch) matter. So, I grounded the neutral switch lead. This basically tells the ECU the bike is in neutral at all times so the engine will never shut down. The neutral light stays on all the time but it runs so for now that's the ticket. When I do a tidier job of kludging the lead I'll also disconnect the dash light or just put some tape over it. No big deal, I don't trust neutral lights anyway. My 750 didn't even have one.

The only catch may be if there is a lower rev limit in neutral than in gear. I don't think that's the case but yeah, I'll actually ride it to find out before I cart it off to the track again!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts