Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to you USCRA Road Racer. At present it appears that for the 2007 there is a desire by the leadership to include participation points ( 1 pt each) for the Giro, Streets of Laconia, Pewter Run etc. in the Road Racing point totals.

If this is something that you have a problem with you might want to mention it at the banquet. Considering a whole bunch of USCRA RACERS don't even have the machinery to compete in these events, nor would they want to buy, license and insure bikes to do so.

I applaud participation in USCRA events of all kinds. Events like the Giro are a tremendous amount of fun. But this seems to blur the line between racing and other non-essential events. Penalizing those members who don't want to spend the possible many hundres of dollars it might require to build a bike for these events.

And in the event of a ROAD RACING tie....a competitor could beat you just because he can role out an old street legal bike and compete in the Giro or Pewter run....and event for which you probably don't even have a bike.

I would like to see the club opt for a "Participation Championship" for the top three people participating the most events, and accumulating the most points of any kind. However including NON RACE events into the Road Race points standings seems unfair and unwise.
Far as I know this is NOT carved in stone yet.
JohnnyB

PS. By the way... I HAVE TWO street legal Giro bikes and have participated twice in the past...so don't think that I'm complaining because I don't have the necessary equipment.

Edited by - jbranson on Jan 08 2007 4:42:03 PM

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
speaking of which, did you ever send me the 2006 points? If so, please send them again, as I can't find them.

Or does everyone have to wait until after the banquet?

And yeah, I agree. Its a nice idea, but bad implementation on the rule.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob...I'll send you a copy....might want to wait until after the banquet to post them.

ALso...I'm going to try to talk to the powers, and to Evil about including a RUNNING TOTAL for championship points in each newletter. Just the top three places in each class, small print. Just so people know where they stand during the year. No freakin reason in the world that these point standings should be any kind of secret.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
They should do top 3 places in the news letter, but keep an on going points list on the site.

Aaron

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I'll chime in later. After I think about it. Basically, I am against the idea. (of points for all events)

But I have to go watch the ball game.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
JB,
Given there are so few races on the schedule, I agree with your comments. These 3(?) points could swing the points big time. I do think participation points should apply for attending VRRA events (racing) though.

BTW, would the "Run what you brung" race be a points (participation) event next year.

How about for Aaron's backyard track?

Jeff

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I think Aaron's track DEFINITELY counts. That way we can be sure JB never shows.

But how do we get Cindy there for starts?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually...at the rate we are going...I think Aaron race will be on the schedule next year.

Aaron, I agree, yep, keep a running total of all places back to like 10th in each class on the net, and top three in the newsletter.

Wanna talk about generating some participation...bet that would help.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
quote:
Actually...at the rate we are going...I think Aaron race will be on the schedule next year.

Aaron, I agree, yep, keep a running total of all places back to like 10th in each class on the net, and top three in the newsletter.

Wanna talk about generating some participation...bet that would help.
JohnnyB
I don' get to race many AHRMA races but I like to keep track of what my AHRMA buddies are doing. I think it might interest people from other clubs to see what we are doing.

I too am against the points for the Giro and Pewter stuff...

Aaron

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
I would like to see the club opt for a "Participation Championship" for the top three people participating the most events, and accumulating the most points of any kind. However including NON RACE events into the Road Race points standings seems unfair and unwise.
Far as I know this is NOT carved in stone yet.
JohnnyB
Total points for all races! I'll build a couple more bikes and get in every race...you guys wouldn't have a chance.

FC

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frank...you'd have won that trophy for the last five years...seriously. Maybe I'll look it up, but I bet you've run more races than anyone else for a quite a few years now.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
you know i do understand the reasons why, and I think they are valid. while I probably wouldn't agree with points for those events, i can see that it would probably increase participation and if there is increased participation, there would be more folks willing to help out. I think the "organization" had to look at the big picture.

Maybe the "organization" is actually planning for the future of classic racing, whereby we find ouselves trackless and the only way to "race" vintage is to do events like Pewter and Giro. Hence the start of making the events points for participation, cause soon that's where we'll all be. Just my 2 cents.

evil

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
I think the "organization" had to look at the big picture.

Maybe the "organization" is actually planning for the future of classic racing, whereby we find ouselves trackless and the only way to "race" vintage is to do events like Pewter and Giro. Hence the start of making the events points for participation, cause soon that's where we'll all be. Just my 2 cents.
Or where we have to drive down to race with AHRMA or WERA....
There's talk of getting the 250gp class back in WERA if enough people show up for it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Evil,

Well said. The USCRA since its inception started as a participation club. Championship/points did not start until recently. I fully understand everybodys disdain for the participation points but it does motivate some people to help out. Heck, you don't need a pewter/giro bike, just show up have fun and enjoy the event. It's tons of fun, you meet people in a non track atmosphere and it costs nothing to help out. After all this is CLUB racing.

As far as track time goes unfortunately it is what it is, there are other racing groups that offer vintage racing, they just aren't in our region. I don't see the USCRA replacing the Pewter/Giro events for track time at NHIS.

Champ

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yeah, but wera is also "club racing". people join the club to race mostly. im not saying people dont want to do the giro, i just think the club should be more about racing than touring around. making those events points paying is just stupid. especially if youre trying to broaden your membership base and fill grids. other people, its my guess, would be even less willing to race with the club if championships are going to be also based on non-racing events. there are enough issues with other people participating in nhis races with the uscra as it stands. why make it more complex for people who want to race and win championships to race with you guys? imagine the first time someone like arron, or greg, (who doesnt even have a street license), or jb loses a championship because someone got an extra point for riding around a hrd for a weekend. doesnt seem fair.

jc

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
guys-

from a relative new racer/USCRA member's perspective, and from someone who hasn't been in the hunt for a class championship....yet. a points championship based on a three race season seems a little silly to begin with. obviously it takes a great rider and bike to win such a short season. but one schedule conflict, one red flag, one mistake, one bad carburator, one rookie running you out of a turn, a rival not showing up for one race, etc. can alter the final standings, leaving no time in the remaining race/races for things to settle out. of course we expect these smaller things to change a single race, but it just seems a class championship should reflect somthing bigger.

granted, such a compressed season can make it even harder to win a championship and winning is a real accomplishment, but sort of seems to lack an arc of competetion. there certainly isn't time enough for an interesting points battle. so whichever system can motivate the most people to support the club works for me. on the other hand, if we had a bigger race schedule, i'd come down on the side of race points only.

and yeah, WERA is a different kind of club, so run 'em both, they each have a lot to offer.

best-
tt

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I suspect...and what worries me the most is that....this possible points arrangement is NOT being done to benefit the racing program in any tangible way. It's being done to increase Giro/pewter/etc. attendance. And while I enjoy these events....I thought they were support events for the RACE CLUB. It is the US Classic RACING Association.
However...from what we have been told recently...additional race dates are not forthcoming, racing at alternative tracks is for all intents and purposes impossible (don't ask me why...I don't know). So....in what way do these "support events" actually support the racing program? No extra track time (they say it's not available), not a new venue (they just say no). So just how do these events help US...the members of this CLUB?

I love these extra events....but if they are not in support of the Race program in real financial terms...then what exactly are they supporting? And if the RACE program is having trouble supporting itself....then should not participation in RACING be our concern?

A Club with our limited resources both financially and human needs to have a clear and concise direction, with clearly stated goals. What's the goal here?

Now the Giro is a tremendous event, which I support every opportunity I can. It's truly an event that should take place regardless if we even have a race program. I mean I'd attend the Giro even if it was the only event the USCRA had, or even if it had no connection to the USCRA.

So I ask....to what purpose are the points from these events tied to the Race Program? To encourage participation in these events? Then to what end....to financially support the race program? If that is the case...then great...if racing is losing money, then obviously we need to do whatever it takes....although just raising the racing fees would seem easier. And does it make sense to possibly annoy half of the racers to...uhhh...support racing?

All this crap being said....hell...it's only 1 pt. per event. And since I do support participation in these other events, it's really not a big deal. And there is a lot about the club I don't know...so if this is good for the club...then it's a good thing.
In my heart I just feel that RACING is the soul, and the future of this club...and this seems kind of another tiny step away from that future.
JohnnyB

quote:
yeah, but wera is also "club racing". people join the club to race mostly. im not saying people dont want to do the giro, i just think the club should be more about racing than touring around. making those events points paying is just stupid. especially if youre trying to broaden your membership base and fill grids. other people, its my guess, would be even less willing to race with the club if championships are going to be also based on non-racing events. there are enough issues with other people participating in nhis races with the uscra as it stands. why make it more complex for people who want to race and win championships to race with you guys? imagine the first time someone like arron, or greg, (who doesnt even have a street license), or jb loses a championship because someone got an extra point for riding around a hrd for a weekend. doesnt seem fair.

jc

1 - 20 of 72 Posts