Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It looks like it uses a spring... You can see the tensioner is being held down with a zip tie

On second thought, I think I'm wrong

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It looks like it uses a spring... You can see the tensioner is being held down with a zip tie

On second thought, I think I'm wrong
yeah a spring loaded unit wont do in this app
they dont mind the extra chain it allows that gentle large slider shoe to fit and bonus is more wrap on both sprockets
there is a lot of engineeri/....... oops trial and error involved there 80k miles is fantastic
and that ring gear is fine

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yeah a spring loaded unit wont do in this app
they dont mind the extra chain it allows that gentle large slider shoe to fit and bonus is more wrap on both sprockets
there is a lot of engineeri/....... oops trial and error involved there 80k miles is fantastic
and that ring gear is fine
Everytime I go to the dealer for something...and just browsing the new bikes....the talk is always trade it in. 60K may be the time...then 70...80....this is when things start to happen they always say. But 30K for a new bike is a lot of $$

Spring pushes the slider forward/up...then the teeth don't allow it to go back anymore.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Everytime I go to the dealer for something...and just browsing the new bikes....the talk is always trade it in. 60K may be the time...then 70...80....this is when things start to happen they always say. But 30K for a new bike is a lot of $$

Spring pushes the slider forward/up...then the teeth don't allow it to go back anymore.
30k ?chump change for the average HD biker ,eh?
obviously you know how to care for a machine properly
i feel that ever since we had the 25cent do it yourself carwarsh,which has advanced to lots of fOlks with their own hydraulic mining spec warsher
they figured out long ago some good wax and the hipoe car warsh, that every ride and towel her down then when they are out witrh the road captains the machine shines like a ,58 cadlac in a shriners parade ,RIGHT?
well mostly the bike is aged faster
i dunno dont drown swim for it ,save 25k and make the bike better upgrade the suspension and find some light wheels
those stock harly wheels are so heavy it aint fiunny ,right?
get rid of the handlebar grips that feel like as big around like 40oz schlitz iche beer can ,right ?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
[
and the teeth prevent too little slack because each inkerval tighter requiresthe unit rise vup over its mating teeth
what kind of lube ?atf?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Stopped by Deus Ex Machina today for a latte.....living the hipster life style. There was a real cool shirt there.....kinda like an old board track style racing Jersey I wanted to buy but didn't have my size. Save $140 on that but paid $37 for a truckers hat. I know I overpaid but I'm an HD owner....so I'm use to overpaying for things.

Nice ride today. 84K on the clock and not a drip or a hiccup.

IMG_20190428_133453.jpg

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We've had many..many good days and rides with this old girl but today was not so so good. The fuel pump went out on it. It gave me a couple of hints it was about to go to fuel pump heaven but I figured I would ride it as long as I could so it would be easier to diagnose. I belong to the Harley Owners Group so towing was free. At 93900 miles I wasn't shocked and to be quite honest we made the best of the situation while waiting for the tow truck....... in that we put our hats on and had cigars in the center median waiting for the rescue. It was a wide median and all safe.

Not to make lite the bravery of hero's of the past but it was like a Iwo Jima moment getting it up onto the flatbed. I know there are towing companies specializing in towing big touring machines but this is what HOG roadside assistance sent us so we made it work. The plan is to get a new fuel pump installed and keep on keeping on. It runs great with no leaks (now) and no funny noises and aside from this time...as reliable as ever. I am 60%-70% sure my next new addition will be the latest generation Goldwing. Not because HD is junk but because HD new anything is horribly overpriced.......with dealer markups on all models.

received_347911196164370.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
HARLEY RESCUE LIST

Qne tilt and load
One man mountain
Two stout anchors
Guy to pull brake
A nice fold out stool would be nice.

That day he said he picked up another HD, a Ducati and I think he mentioned a Grom as well.......along with a car or 2 I'm guessing

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
It's been 2 years since I first got this bike and started this thread. Aside from my ironhead this was my first go around with HD and we have been very pleased with it.......so much so I purchased a new 2019 Limited a couple weeks ago. My wife loves HD.....more than I do but I love the fact she likes it. So far we are at nearly 101K on the clock. She runs good but as she gets older the little nickel and dime stuff becomes a pain......like the $8 connector that's not making proper connection that can disable a ride.

For now I have 2 baggers...one new and one old. I will still keep this old girl as she makes trips everywhere with little concern. But the far stuff we have planned for spring and summer with a few friends....we will use the new one. Gives us peace of mind.

20191126_154948.jpg

To be honest I am pretty impressed with the mileage on it....especially considering how good she runs...like new. If it weren't for all the squeaks and rattles you would think it was ready for another 50K.

20191126_155024.jpg

So for now we keep patching things up and keep on keepin on. I've become quite familiar with how to take things apart and what to look for when things need attention. The longer I keep this one the better amateur HD mechanic it will make me. One thing I've learned is high mileage Harleys develop primary leaks. I need to go through again and make every seal new but for now.......what garage with harleys would be complete without oil spots.

20191126_155005.jpg

Edit...a picture of the new one. At $27000 it was way more than the $5000 I paid for the old one.

20191104_165057.jpg

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Been riding her with the minimal oil l leaks but it looks like things are progressing.

From draining the fluids and measuring them it looks like a crank seal is allowing engine oil to get into the primary chain case........causing it to have more fluid in it causing seals to leak......primarily the stator plug. I can put in a new seal....it's a lot of work...but what scares me the most is usually a leaking crank seal is indicative of a bearing going bad.

This picture is after about 350 miles of riding

20200102_143627.jpg

Still moving the needle on the odometer

20200102_143703.jpg

21 - 32 of 32 Posts