Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my new to me 2009 XR1200. I know I overpaid a little but it's one of the cleanest I've came across in awhile. 8000 miles on the clock. I've been on touring/baggers exclusively for the last couple of years so my riding has been cushy and soft....and I've been wanting something more sporty. Not to confuse this with a GSXR but compared to what I've been riding it makes me feel like Rossi......it's definitely a breath of fresh air. It has a nice little windshield (HD) and a V&H exhaust. It handles fabulous but still feels like a Sportster. Power comes on differently than a stock Sportster with more HP and makes power higher in the RPM range. To be honest my only real complaint so far is bar/seat/riding position but it can be improved with aftermarket ...... and probably just staying away from touring bikes for a bit.

I used Cafe and race bike in the title as I have aspirations of racing and trying to find the right bike I would feel comfortable on...and staying true to what "cafe" is and not what it has become....I want to make this bike leaner..... better handling....more of a go fast bike...hence the racing aspect. I feel this is true to what the cafe idea was back in the 60s when the kids raced stripped down bikes from café to café in Europe. But for now I'm riding the bike and enjoying it immensely. Honestly again after riding couches for so long it feels like I have nothing to do to the bike.....but that will change.

I've ordered a couple of parts...mainly cosmetic. There use to be a mountain of aftermarket but seems like that has long since passed....maybe I'm wrong. One thing I know I want to do is not permanently change anything...like weld on loops, etc.....so a lot of this stuff will be bolt on with maintaining the ability to right back to stock if I choose.

I honestly am looking forward to this adventure with this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 XS750
104 Posts
Real cool, was actually looking to get a harley with the 1200 but like you said, overpaying was my issue haha! I’m excited about this one, nice seat pan

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Real cool, was actually looking to get a harley with the 1200 but like you said, overpaying was my issue haha! I’m excited about this one, nice seat pan
Your absolutely correct.....things are crazy high now and it really has happened in the last year and a half.

I bought this Sportster in the beginning of 2020 for $3000. It was the "funnest" Harley Davidson that I've ever owned. The forward controls were perfect for my height.... but I sold it about 4 months later to purchase a Dyna that I got an outstanding deal on and thought it would work better for me (which it didn't)....big mistake.

I sold it for $3800 after cleaning it up and the new owner subsequently sold it for $5000 a few months later by doing nothing more than keeping it clean and putting miles on it. He did the same thing I did which is by a Dyna....which he also admitted wasn't as fun as this old sporty.

My retirement accounts and investment accounts haven't done that well in that same time frame as the value of this 2008 Sportster Custom has done.

I think we both wish we had her back

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No real update other than I'm riding it a lot and enjoying it a lot. I've already gotten used to the higher RPMs... At least higher than what I'm used to on my other big twins. Boy a 6th gear would be heaven. There's a couple things that I've been thinking of....... apparently a Vance & Hines Power Commander really wakes this bike up and maybe even a must with the exhaust. I thought it might have already had one considering how this ran compared to other Sportsters. I've looked around I found no module installed.

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Also at speed there is no issue but waiting at stoplights and cruising around slowly this gets hot. Not uncomfortably hot but hot. I am going to look into some universal fan kit.....kinda like the ones from Koso or Tusk or whomever. Some of those kits even have a little gauge....that would be nice.

Automotive parking light Grille Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Also playing with pinstriping ideas.....I think orange will be nice.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
its so clean... it almost looks fake, like a model

Reactions: knappyfeet

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool bike

Why the change of seat pan ?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
I would like to say that the reason for the carbon fiber pan is for weight savings....but that would be a lie.

And although it is considerably lighter than the stock tail it was for vanity reasons.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Form+function = badass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts