Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
After I installed it, I noticed an immediate change in the bikes behavior. No choppiness/snatchiness around idle and take off, and less exhaust popping on decel. There is still some popping but that's because the exhaust has been decat-ed and I'm running aftermarket cans.
Well just as you described Classic I've experienced the same improvements.... I'm very satisfied.

If there's just one complaint I have it would be it did affect my fuel economy. Reading all over most folks said they noticed nothing to minimal changes in MPG..... I one the other hand am experiencing a solid 10% drop in MPG. Previously I could go a little over 155 miles til empty (found out the hard way a couple of times) but now about 135 miles or so. It's not a deal breaker.

On a different note I went to the dealer for a new rear tire. I ordered a Scorcher 11 but I guess the young lady heard Scorcher 31 instead...... so now I have a touring/cruising tire for the rear. She was very apologetic and gave me half off the cost so I went along my merry way thinking I would just ride the heck out of this rear tire....wear it quickly.......then go with a matching set of Michelin Pilot Powers and call it a day. The only problem is is that after nearly 5000 miles it's nowhere near getting worn. Then I remembered my experience with touring tires and that they all go well over 20000 miles on 1000 lb baggers....... It got me thinking I may be stuck with this tire for a while. So ...… instead of going the cafe route I'll make a u-turn and go the sport touring route....at least for the time being... so I installed a set of Hepco & Becker bags.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Asphalt

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

What was real nice about these bags is that the hardware was minimal…. and those big C looking mounts are all made of aluminum. I'm so used to installing Tusk bags or something where the hardware is steel and weighs 20 pounds and is super elaborate….. this was a breath of fresh air. Even the mount on the bags themselves are plastic. This whole set up is very light in comparison to other panniers. The only thing is one crossbar went underneath the sub frame…. no big deal but it took away about 1" of travel or so.

Azure Gesture Font Art Electric blue

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Unfortunately the bag rested on the exhaust so I had to redrill all the holes to get them up about 2 to 2 1/2 inches… as the instructions recommended. Also these were the smaller bags. They have a whole line of different bags but with my exhaust set up I was extremely limited on what I could do. Since I'm going to use a dry bag to go along with them I'm not sweating the storage. If anything the whole set up will allow me to securely mount a dry bag for longer trips.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Luggage and bags Automotive tire Bag Sports equipment Comfort

For now I'm off to Amazon to see if I can't get a vinyl repair kit for the holes. I've got some hot tent camping trips coming up so we'll see how this whole set up works.

· 見る
638 Posts
Well just as you described Classic I've experienced the same improvements.... I'm very satisfied.

If there's just one complaint I have it would be it did affect my fuel economy. Reading all over most folks said they noticed nothing to minimal changes in MPG..... I one the other hand am experiencing a solid 10% drop in MPG. Previously I could go a little over 155 miles til empty (found out the hard way a couple of times) but now about 135 miles or so. It's not a deal breaker.
10% drop in mileage seems a little excessive. Your bike should be just running minimally richer. I don't know how much my O2 Optimiser has affected fuel consumption as there is no fuel gauge on the Aprilia. Although fuel consumption and average kilometre per litre info is available, I have never bothered to measure it. However I doubt that it has been affected by 10% because I generally ride the same distance/course when I take the bike out and haven't noticed any change in the top up amount when refueling.

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the recommendation.....I was over thinking everything so I went with 250s recommendation. I used some automotive retainer clips and just melted the back for a secure fit.

Maybe I'm just romping on the throttle too much but I'm getting a solid 10% reduction. No running issues or anything other than a loss in MPG. I'll go out and take a gentle ride and see how far I can go.....but with the new enrichers she just begs for more throttle.

Hood Luggage and bags Bag Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Took a 1500 mile trip on the XR.

I removed the fuel enrichment devices as I was getting about 39 MPG fully loaded. Once they were removed I was back to 44-45 mpg...... I know it doesn't sound like a lot but the extra 15 miles per tank was good piece of mind on the longer stretches in the desert between fuel stops.

I was loaded down but I like to take "the kitchen sink" when I camp. I'm not a back packer so a full size air mattress, wood burning stove, etc.... was a must.

No real problems with either bike other than I installed new spark plugs for easier starts (which I needed) in Vegas and my sons Himalayan sometimes dying at stop lights for no reason when just starting the day. He's got over 9000 miles on it.

A nice fun trip looking at Lake Mead drying up. I can remember 30 years ago when water was right up to the campsite.....no more.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Plant
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Land lot

21 - 25 of 25 Posts