Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used KLR650 to add to my fleet and replace my old 93 DR650. I got a really good deal from the original owner up in San Francisco. I purchased this for a couple of reasons... First... Me and my son want to do some adventure riding. He's going to pick up a KLR himself and sort it out for his needs. Secondly... I'm just a little tired of putting 30000 miles a year on baggers...... it tends to leave me very little time to ride anything else. I've been wanting to replace my dr650 with something similar to that. The new generation dr650s are fine machines but for a 4000 mile trip I don't know. I know it can be done but there are a lot of things you need to do to it. It seems the KLR comes fresh out of the box with longer trips in mind.

My first riding impressions are fabulous ones. The bike runs very nice.... Handles nicely on the freeway and at higher speeds. This bike is not to be confused with a DRZ400 for its off-road prowess but it's somewhat capable off-road. I purposely wanted a 2014 1/2 model and up as it has a beefier suspension front and back and the seating a little bit more comfy. What we did back in the day is the exact opposite of what I'm going to do today... As in back in the 90s we did everything we could to make our bikes lighter. In this case for a long trip I'm going to be adding more Adventure minded accessories to it...... kind of turning it into a bagger. The only other model I flirted with was the Honda Africa twin. All the current crop of Adventure bikes are morbidly obese street bikes with 7 inches of clearance. Nice for a thousand miles of pavement but not so much off road. Plus there's something inviting to having a simplistic carbureted Thumper.... With no modes for sport, or ABS, or traction control, or anything else found on a Honda Goldwing. Heck I took my dr650 100000 miles plus... With no modes for econ or sport or normal or rain....etc.

20200120_121250.jpg

20200120_121339.jpg

I do love riding my Harley Davidsons and have been having the time of my life with him. I'm going to sell my 2009 Electra Glide to help fund some of the accessories for the KLR650. Harley-Davidson accessories are crazy expensive but a lot of things could be had aftermarket for the Kawasaki very reasonably priced......... far far more reasonable than anything BMW or Honda Africa twin. Assuming I keep the stock suspension I don't think I'm going to be over $2,000 in total for accessories.

20191229_130020.jpg

So for now I put on a little bit more than a 100 miles... the odometers at 1,500. I've got a nice adjustable windshield bracket on the way that's going to make the windshield more forward and taller.... Perfect for adding a GPS or getting better wind protection. The bike was completely stock with the exception of the taller windshield the previous owner installed. It's a very nice piece and I can see where it will really help for those 400 mile days on the highway.

20200120_120715.jpg

So for now general maintenance is in order and a little bit more acclimating to it. I remember it took me awhile to get used to my Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. The riding position and everything is a tick different than what I've been used to for the last 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like it. I have been seriously considering a KLR for the same reasons you noted. Also, I have a really jacked up back and need something that has a soft and comfortable ride.

I miss my old Electa Glide but don't think I could handle the weight any more if it fell over or got stuck and I plan to putter around on back roads more than pounding the slab.

I used to ride a friends KLR around the mountains of western NC and it was a lot of fun.

Keep us updated on this bike and I'm going to keep looking for a deal on one.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's some nice deals on these bikes out there and I think some of the reason is that it's a misunderstood bike. Although it is in the same category as other big Thumpers like Suzuki dr650 for Hondas XR650L it really is more for touring than tearing up the high desert. I know people do that after they accessorize them to the max but at the end of the day it's a nice reliable thumper that'll take you all over.

I'm very surprised with the low cost of aftermarket accessories for it. So far I've spent....

Tusk panniers and mounts-$340
Tusk engine guards - $98
Krono windshield adjustable mount - $139
Krono lower dash - $59
Denali fender aux light mount - $64
Chinese no name lights 4 - $16 (best deal)

So far... $716

I got the medium-sized panniers.... The large in my opinion are funny large. Plus after touring the southwest with my wife on the HD.... I've learned to live out of one bag since she takes up everything else. So the mediums for me is like extra storage space than what I've been used to.

Those cheap Chinese lights are a phenomenal value... Very very bright and only $16 for a package of four... with mounts. The Krono adjustable windshield mount is a very nice accessory. It changes the whole dynamic of the wind situation. Much more protection and a much better placement for off-road then say just a really tall windscreen. I just don't like how those two spikes are there. And I'm not sure I want to do a forever modification and grind them down. But I just may

There are a few other accessories I love to put on. But I need to figure out its ride mannerisms now before I make it any heavier. Compared to the other 650 Thumpers in its class this is obese. All the accessories I've added it's just making it morbidly obese. Everything seems to be made out of steel except the panniers. If I could only have one other weight adding accessory it would be a center stand. I think it would come in extremely handy on 2000 to 3000 mile long trips we're removing the chain, changing a tire, or changing a sprocket would be very easy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here is one that is about 10 minutes from me and is set up the way I was thinking.

In your opinion is that a good deal? It's about the price range I was expecting to have in a bike but didn't know how much the accessories would run me.

Looking at what you have done they seem to be very affordable to set up.

The one I used to ride was an older model but I remember that even riding two up it rode well and was comfortable on the highway. I wouldn't be putting the kind of miles on one that you have logged but I want to be comfortable to do 300-400 miles a day at times.

Glad you posted this, it is getting me inspired!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a good deal to me.

Considering I paid $3,500 for my bike and have put $700 worth of accessories... That brings my total to $4,200....... and I probably have an additional $400 more to spend or so. Also on your bike all the work is already done.... Ready to enjoy.

I was also looking for something already completed. I wanted a 2014 and a half and up model for the additional suspension improvements and more comfortable seat. I couldn't find anything under 5K around me.....all with more miles than what your bike has.

Edit..... I like your lower dash better than the one I bought. I got infatuated with Krono after the windshield mount but the lower dash is much more flimsy than the one your looking at......and the wiring to everything it's just time consuming and I don't like electrical work. Yours is already done so it's a real good Plus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts