Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys, my name is nate, im pretty stupid and i do dumb things most of the time. my latest stupid dumb thing that ive done was trusting the previous owner of my new to me gt380 when he said he had just topped off the 2 cycle oil.

im guessing you know what my next post is going to be about, and if anyone can point me to a working crankshaft or a good shop to get a connectng rod and bearings replaced that would be great. a trusted mechanic here in austin has recently let me know that there is no one in texas that can fix a crankshaft for an engine with more than one cylinder.

ps. i know that i am dumb as hell for not checking that oil right off the bat and making sure there was plenty before ripping around town for two days so feel free to help me elaborate on that.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Nate - we all make mistakes. There is a 72 GT380 engine listed on ebay for under 300 dollars. I'd recommend you look into that, it will be cheaper to purchase entire engine than pay a mechanic to fix yours..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Nate - we all make mistakes. There is a 72 GT380 engine listed on ebay for under 300 dollars. I'd recommend you look into that, it will be cheaper to purchase entire engine than pay a mechanic to fix yours.."

thanks for the reply bmartin.
i have the engine apart and the cases are mostly good. the bottom has a slight, well i want to call it a scratch but it seems like melted con rod where the center rod scraped it.
the left and right jugs are alright but the center is destroyed. i am planning on a new bore and pistons because it seems like thats my only option.

so do you think just a new crankshaft, jugs and smoothing out of the bottom case will not do? or are you saying that these three things will cost such a ridiculous amount that i should just go with a new engine?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Those three things will likely cost you close to $600 when all is said and done. Machine work, seals, pistons, having someone who knows what they are doing assemble and true the crank, bearings, assembly, etc.

Parts alone would be roughly the same as the engine bmartin mentioned.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats close to what i was thinking. id rather pay the extra $300 and have a rebuilt engine, any suggestions on pistons, things i should make sure of while the engine is apart or shops that can handle the crankshaft job? i know of a shop here that can do the cylinder work but the crank is still the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts