Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Guess what i did? OK I'll tell you. I took the drive sprocket from the electric starter on the cb350 and drilled the splines out to accept the roller bearing from the stock cam chain tensioner upper roller. That sprocket is the same pitch,219, as the cam chain. It is slightly smaller in diameter than the rubber roller, but hopefully that wouldn't matter. Has anybody heard of this mod before? What do you think?
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I know a few drag racers that have done it with a cb750, can't remember if I have ever seen it with a cb350 twin before. I actually have one of those converted tensoiners from a cb750 that ran 8 seasons in a 1036 cb drag motor and it looks like is has never been used.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
why not use the ka tensioner??? the 750 and 350 chains are the same. if that means anything.

jc

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just checked kaperformance.com and it said the website is closed. Did they close or is that another company?

Tom W.
'70 CL350

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of you guys seem to be missing my point. Of course I can buy super cool aftermarket cam chain tensioners, but my point is - - I did this for free using the starter sprocket I had laying around after I took all the electric starter junk off. I did have to buy a new 5/8" drill bit. I wanted to be sure I cut the.625" bore straight and I figured a new sharp bit had a better chance of self centering on the splined center of the sprocket. I was right and the bearing out of the old roller pressed right in with about the same snugness as it had come out.

Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Ken,
Cool mod. I'm looking at all the rubber rollers for the 450 engine, they're all worn and there are too many of them! I might try something similar. Have to stare at them a little longer...

FR

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
ken,

i did it for free too, i'm sponsored!

tex

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ken,

i did it for free too, i'm sponsored!

tex

Tex, When I was a god o' racing like you, I used to run free stuff too. Unfortunately, after 15 years out of the game I am not a real good candidate for free stuff anymore. I even used to race with stuff I wouldn't have bought for myself except it was free. The only product I ever gave back was a set of Avons in about 1989, cause I thought they were dangerous, and now I pay good money for them. I ran them one weekend at Roebling Road on my production CBR600 and hated them so bad I would have put anything else on if I had them.
Ken (I used to be good too) Essex

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
nah, its cool. really creative. kudos. i actually like it. my slipper was free. or id be running the rollers.

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
ken,

i'm no racing god. i think i'm given free stuff so i shut up and leave. it's kinda like bribery!

tex "will race for bribes" mawby

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tex,
Kinda reminds me about when I was getting Michelins from Walt Shaeffer. I think h e started giving me new ones so I wouln't keep nosing around looking for good take offs or asking him about running aMichelin on the rear and a metzler on the front. I think he finally had pity on me and gave me some tires.

Ken( not too proud to beg) Essex

AHRMA 412

1 - 12 of 12 Posts