Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, don't I know about the "coasting neutral hunt"

Makes it even more of an adventure to hunt for neutral while keeping the idle up ('cause I still can't dial in these f-ing Mikunis) and applying my marginal at best front brakes (or weak-ass rearset-impaired rear brakes) at the same time.

Home built Cafe' REPRESENT!!!

Searched the archives (there's a good boy) and found a post I actually started last year on the same subject. The illustrious JBranson mentioned the shift detent spring as a possible culprit but cautioned about the difficulty in finding one NOS. So I figured what the hell, ebay here I come. Type in "350 spring" and the first result is our spring. $7.50 to my door. I love this country.

Honda go sideways!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
let us know if it works.

jc

"tex, if your bikes a cheater, its not a very good one"

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yep...it's all in that spring and in the little roller on the arm that the spring attaches too. I've seen a ton of engines where that little roller is worn so that it cocks to the side a bit. Sometimes it's worn so it doesn't actually "roll" anymore.
If you assemble that whole thing real careful, and by the book, with all the little parts in the right order...that roller wheel should sit real nice in the detents, lined up nice with the detent wheel. If things are screwy it will be trying to go behind or in front of the detent cam.
On Mary's 50 I had to do some creative dremel work and polishing to get the ramps and valleys on the detent cam so that it shifted better. Deepened some of the valleys to hold in gear better and softened some peaks to smooth the shifting and make it pass neutral better. Be warned though...you can easily screw up the detent cam....luckily there are a ton of them in junk engines and they appear to be hardened steel so they don't wear out. Only way to really test them is to put it together and ride it though.
JohnnyB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts