Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Why do you want to split the cam chain? I'm not sure of the particular cam chain tensioner you have but I don't think you have to split the chain to put on any of them that I have seen up to now. How old's the engine, ie how long has it been run since it was last apart? I would also check the compression before I changed the rings. If its still good then I wouldn't bother with it. If its not then I would change more than just the rings. It would probably be worth boring to an over size piston also. Just some thoughts.

Mike O

· Registered
237 Posts
JD,

Actually what you should do is what Joe and others are suggesting for Summit and then tear into the engine. I would probably do an oversize bore, new cam chain and tensioner. Also a new clutch. like maybe some heavy springs and fancy friction plates. Then maybe look at redoing the brakes with new vintage brake compound. I wouldn't forget about some good springs for the front (progressives or something like that) and think about some emulation valves too. Next I think you really need to rework the frame bracing. The way you ride you've probably flexed it enough to introduce some fatigue so why worry about it, redo it and add bracing. Maybe you might consider some cosmetic enhancements too. I think a good paint job and surely a new seat will make you feel much better about you riding. I think if you start right after Summit you might get it all done by September and the rest of us can have a fun summer without seeing your ass disappearing around turn 8.

have fun

Mike O.

Edited by - mikeo on Mar 17 2006 7:47:16 PM

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.