Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
interesting issue with this older bike, i think it needs a good clean and tune. But can anyone hint to a more specific cause of this?

the engine bogs down at lower revs 50% of the time, and needs a good hard rev to come back to normal. in that time it loses alot of power, and tends to sound like a 2 stroke for some reason.

im heading towards thinking its the fueltank and carbies since from the wreckers... for some reason there is no primary fuel line, and it is running permanently off the reserve... and this is acting similar to my old 250 ninja when it used to hit low levels of fuel.

No matter how old they get, guys don't understand when to take their bikes to the shop, even after 3 stripped oil plugs and a completely missing set of engine mounts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wouldnt think it would matter for such a generalised question?

but if you really need it, 1986 suzuki GSX250e.

No matter how old they get, guys don't understand when to take their bikes to the shop, even after 3 stripped oil plugs and a completely missing set of engine mounts.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
There is no such thing as a helpful generalized question when it comes to motorcycles.

Have you ever seen two bikes that were the same? Aside from having two wheels every bike is its own series of systems - they all have similar problems but it is very very rare to have the same problem on two different bikes because every bike in engineered differently.

That being said if it was just a matter of sounding like a 2 stroke on deceleration, a lot of popping an cackeling, then I would say check your exhaust flanges, head pipes, and gaskets for leaks and/or cracks.

But you mentioned a bog. I am not sure how an 86 gs250 is laid out (we didn't really get that bike here in the states) but your problem sounds like either fuel or electrical. Electrical can be anything from your timing advancement is stuck (open or closed) to a misfiring set of points or pulse controller (don't really know what your bike has - see how "generalized" questions lead to vague answers), heck even your plug wires could be shorting against each other.

As far as it being a carb issue, it would be a mechanical issue, probably with the slide sticking. Are your carbs CV or standard? If they are standard then it could be a matter of the cable binding or the slide bore being gummed up. If they ar CV (which in all likelihood they are) it could be a hole in the diaphram or something gumming up the slide. Either way you will need to take it apart.

since it is a GS, try asking this question over at thegsresources.com since there are a few more people over there more familar with this model of bike and can tell you its idosyncracies.

Edited by - geeto67 on Aug 09 2007 10:00:55 AM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts