Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yea, I meant to post that up the other day. I found it and couldn't believe it. It better have carried someone important for that money.

Z

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
they were factry bikes. so for that kind of mney, id say regardless of who it carried.....id like to really know the story behind how it got here. honda use to crush all of thier bikes right after the season ended. tooling and all from what ive read. so to have a real one still around is rare. like rarer than rare. the dohc is very very cool. id love to get a look at the internals. just to see them. i bet its really cool.

that would make a really nice birthday present for me. and if you buy it for me, i promise to let you race it all you want.

i bet it sounds insane too.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yep it's worth that. For the last few months I've been exchanging a few emails with an Englishman in Canada. He used to have a CR93 back in the day in England. I guess there are only about 20 or so running and correct examples left in the world. They've been selling for about 20,000 pounds in the UK....or around $30,000+.... so this one seems a bit high...but not being an expert on them there could be a reason.
Zack...if you wonder why my bikes handle nicely...take a good look and the CR frame and then compare it my frames. The CB160/CL175 sloper frame is almost an exact copy of the CR93 frame. With the exception of the upper engine mount most of that CR93 stuff will bolt right on the 160/175 frame.

See that tricky looking breater can sitting behind the cylinders under the carbs....if you look at CB160 and 175 sloper cases you'll see the outline of the casting plug where that was blocked off for the street castings....same for the various other engine block openings the CR had that the CB didn't. That top end and dry clutch will probably bolt right on a CB160/175 engine.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Joe,
The CR93 was the 1962/63 equivilant of the RS125. It was a "production" race bike sold to the general public...but very few of them were sold. It was the same as the factory race bike in all the main aspects...but of course the factory wrenches did their own special mods to them.
In stock trim they weren't particularly fast...but yes very cool. Faster than a street bike yeah, but not competitive on a world level like the factory wrenched bikes were. They did very well in national level 125 races until the two strokes started coming out.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
and they werent available here right?? only avail in japan right?? im pretty sure. but then again, i guess you could get them here, if you could get it here.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
can you imagine sourcing parts. talk about having to have a pretty good machine shop. johnny, that sounds perfect for you. pretty cool info about the motor.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I have a dream of grafting on a 250 Ninja DOHC head to a Honda 175.
With direct acting cams the 175s' could turn 14,000+ rpm no problem.
JohnnyB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts