Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are working with the 59 Club UK on a new 59 Club site and presence for the U.S..

New web site, some destination events maybe, group trib rides on the day of the 50th anniversary celebration in Blighty.

Giving you guys and FYI. They are busy over there with the Father Bill and 50th celebration this month, but we should have something rolling soon...

How about we put together some loose and fast memorial runs for 9/12, to coincide with the celebration across the pond?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you guys are certainly full of cheer and enthusiasm! What a fun bunch to hang with! [8D] Feel free to mope around all weekend if you like, we won't mind.

It is as much a commemorative ride as a celebretory one. The 59 Club has been around for 50 years, and has played a huge part in the fact that we are running around on these hunkered down machines. That might be a good reason for some of you to go on a ride... if nothing else commemorating the memory of Father Bill, who got the ball rolling way back when...

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
there was an article a while back someone posted on "rent boys" and their role in 1950's british counter culture including motorcycle culture. The 59 club and Ace cafe were mentioned in the articles but I doub't any allegations were made.

I mean really, who ever heard of a priest with a thing for little boys?

·
Registered
198 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

let's see, you want to do a celebratory run the DAY AFTER we mourn the greatest US tragedy in recent history. um. no.

What's the issue with doing a run on 9/12? Not to discount anything that happened on 9/11, or the dark days after because we all lost something when the towers went down, but...for fuck's sake...its a different day, isn't it?

Cheers -
AK

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
In NY, the sheer number of 9/11 tribute rides to ground zero makes doing a 9/12 run very difficult. Personally, I will be in San Fransisco that weekend anyway so I get to miss out on my first 9/11 run since we started doing them.

quote:because we all lost something when the towers went down
Really? what did you lose?

·
Registered
198 Posts
quote:Really? what did you lose?
Geeto - don't be an arrogant bastard.

I lost a number of friends that day, just like thousands of others did. I got off better than some, and worse than others. And don't get me started on what every single one of us lost in terms of violated rights and freedoms in the name of "homeland security".

Do you really want to compete with me or challenge me (on a motorcycle forum no less) on what was lost and how?

Fuck off.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:Really? what did you lose?
Trillions & trillions & trillions of dollars from the national budget, squandered by a president asleep at the wheel, on a personal vendetta to avenge his father's failed policies and ensure his own legacy?

·
Registered
198 Posts
quote:

Trillions & trillions & trillions of dollars from the national budget, squandered by a president asleep at the wheel, on a personal vendetta to avenge his father's failed policies and ensure his own legacy?
Can I get an AMEN?!?!?!

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by tonupoakland

Fuck off.
exactly how I felt for this -->

"because we all lost something when the towers went down"

so right back at ya.

I don't buy this "we are all one nation and we all suffer together" bullshit. I think that kind of shit is flat insulting.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Geeto - how did my statement insult you? I apologize if I offended you, because clearly you have some strong feelings about this.

Are you one of those New Yorkers who thinks that because you "were there when it happened" that you have a right to gripe more than anyone else?

Weak shit man...weak shit.

Sorry to all for some bullshit hi-jacking this thread.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:I don't buy this "we are all one nation and we all suffer together" bullshit.
Agreed. Life went on the following day in my town pretty much the same as usual. The landscape where I live & work remains unchanged, and I readily admit it. However, as one who served, I feel entitled to take personally the attacks (on the pentagon, in particular). I'm proud of the contribution I made to my country, as insignificant as it may have been. I consider myself a patriot (not in the Michigan militia sense) and a student of history. I lost nothing in those attacks, but poor leadership in the direct aftermath has left us all poorer, and has rendered my faithful service meaningless.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
BTW, I regard 59 Club/Ace Cafe revival nonsense as little more than hipster douchebag poseur "I'm a marginalized outsider, too" posturing, and a cheap attempt retro-chic marketing/money grab.

Good luck with your memorial ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK - OK -- You guys are a freakin' riot in here. Coming to this place more often is gonna save me lots of money on beer.

As for the "hipster douchebag poseur "I'm a marginalized outsider, too" posturing, and a cheap attempt retro-chic marketing/money grab nonsense"... (good description, BTW)

I like to ride and wrench bikes. The folks I ride with like to ride and wrench bikes. We like to meet and ride with anyone else that rides and wrenches bikes. Doesn't matter what kind of bike, no Village People costume required. We are inviting folks of a similar ilk to come on out, meet up, and ride (possibly wrench) bikes.

To me, that is what the 59 Club always was, and still is today. If you can get over your bad self long enough, come on out. Hope to see you there.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts