Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for rearsets for my 71-73 cb500's. Bolt-ons would be nice if they are available. But all I can find is 74-75 cb550 rearsets. Will these fit? I have a feeling they might not since I recently found some conflicts as I picked up a 74 550 to use some parts for my 500's. There is a set of cb750f1 tarozzi rear sets for sale locally, would those fit? I wouldn't expect them to, but ya never know.

Any 71-73 cb500 rearset suggestions are appreciated.
thx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I've seen that page. All the rearsets are for 74-75 cb500's. The problem with that is, in 74-75 they switched to the cb550, which I think is different. That's the issue. They are advertising for a bike that doesn't exist. I can find 74-75 cb500 rearsets all day long, I'm looking for reassurance that these will work on 71-73 cb500's.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
quote:Originally posted by CJams

Thanks for the link. I've seen that page. All the rearsets are for 74-75 cb500's. The problem with that is, in 74-75 they switched to the cb550, which I think is different. That's the issue. They are advertising for a bike that doesn't exist. I can find 74-75 cb500 rearsets all day long, I'm looking for reassurance that these will work on 71-73 cb500's.
The frames are, more or less, the same. So are the engines, apart from bore and clutch actuation.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Here is how it works:

1971-1973 cb500 and the 1974-1976 cb550 "K" bike are essentially the same bike as mlinder pointed out.

1977-78 cb550 have different frames and require different rearsets.

1975-77 cb550 "F" supersports have different frames in the peg and exhaust area and require different rearsets.

1975-76 cb500s are cb500t models based on the cb450. They share very little with the cb500/550/650 fours.

You want gauranteed fitment? Make your own.

Tarozzi is an Italian company with a fitment chart made with all the care the Italians do for everything. Plus being a foreign country they get different models from us or the same models for different years. Europe has traditionally been the dumping ground for bikes the big four can't sell in the states, so the problem is that you are not Italian, not that the bike doesn't exist.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

...made with all the care the Italians do for everything.
Oh, that's awesome and true. Like how in their art museums you can go up and touch the paintings if you want, cause no one's paying attention anyway...or how every other week there's a labor strike and march over something...the trains are NEVER on time, and they have something like 8 different police forces, none of whom play well with the other 7.

They don't make good beer, their wine is only passable. Rome has the dirtiest subway I have ever seen. The whole city smells like a toilet (and is treated like one!).

I guess we can thank them, in a historical sense, for cradling western civilization, building roads, and generally bringing Europe out of the stone age (and again, out of the dark ages); and sure, they invented espresso and gelato, they build great (read: 'fast', not 'reliable') sports cars and motorcycles, but there are some things left to be desired in the way of manufacturing standards.

Oh, Italy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what you're saying is, if I was Italian I could get a straight answer? Good info and history lesson, still no answer, asides from make my own. All a very fun read might I add.

So just in case I incorrectly posed the question...

I live in America and own a 1971 CB500Four. Does anyone know of a "bolt on" set of rearsets for the 1971 American distibuted (I assume) Honda CB500Four? I can engineer and piece a bunch of stuff together, but I was just hoping that after 40 years someone might have made it easier.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Oh, well why didn't you say so in the first place....

http://www.rearsets.info/photo2.html#honda

do a search on sohc4.net just to make sure they fit 100%, but otherwise that should sort you out.

And if you spoke italian you could call tarozzi and ask them what their sets fit.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Oh, that pic wasn't coming up when I first viewed this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You got me all excited with the Omar site. But like the rest, they are advertised for the 75/76 cb500 or for the cb500k2 or k3.

Still no 71-73 cb500K1 confirmation. Time to grab an italian dictionary, or one of those hot italian chics to translate for me.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Young Sophia Loren in a corset & garters, and you're excited about Omar's?!? Talk about hook-nosed & hairy (please forgive my racial stereotyping).
All those "hot Italian chicks", save one, are old enough to be your grandmother (and therefore, no longer hot, but hook-nosed & hairy, as catboy said)... and I believe more than one of them may very well be dead.

I'd like to think I've successfully hijacked this thread, and hope others will soon contribute appropriately. Stop mucking it up with inane motorcycle questions.
Yeah, yeah... whatever everybody else says will work fine for you. This is a question that's been dealt with many times before.

Ooooh... look:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Been to Italy. Spent two days wandering around Rome. Had great Chinese food. Post office sucked. So did a hooker I met but in a nicer way. Ate lots of little pizzas washed down with German beer. I'd go back if it wasn't that pesky State Department thing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts