Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hmmm, $5.50 from the shop. Ebay had one for $1.99, about 3 hours away from me in Salem. However, they wanted to charge $9.53. For a freaking bolt? And it was calculated, not preset. WTF?

I also went to the fabric store to get foam to make my seat. However, dense foam is currently $68 a yard. I guess I'll try to make one out of cardboard framing. I think I want to make a very small tail section. Just have to come up with a taillight that will look good with such a small section.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hmmm, $5.50 from the shop. Ebay had one for $1.99, about 3 hours away from me in Salem. However, they wanted to charge $9.53. For a freaking bolt? And it was calculated, not preset. WTF?

I also went to the fabric store to get foam to make my seat. However, dense foam is currently $68 a yard. I guess I'll try to make one out of cardboard framing. I think I want to make a very small tail section. Just have to come up with a taillight that will look good with such a small section.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Alright, so I made a new throttle cable out of the new ones I bought. Man, its amazing how much difference clip ons vs. stock bars makes! I messed up and made the return cable about a 1/4 inch too short, so yeah, it didn't go on. However, the action is so smooth that it really doesn't need it. I'll run it for a while with just the main cable and see if it works okay. It really should.

Started on the seat as well. This is more of a chore than I thought. First I made a pan to fit the bottom really quick.

I couldn't find any foam in town for a decent price. I went to Joann Fabrics and their foam for 5 in was $68 a yard, and they would only sell down to a foot. So yeah, wasn't going to pay $24 bucks for foam I was gonna hack up. So I decided to make a cardboard skeleton and start wrapping it.

Started wrapping it with tin foil and tape.

It was impossible to get it even and symetrical. I spent about an hour and a half trying to layer tin and tape to get a good shape. Got pretty close and then just got fed up. I figured I could start glassing and with a little more stiffness make the shape. I started glassing but didn't take pics of that yet. I need to build up the left side more once this first layer dries. Its the same shape, but not as tall as the right side, so I need to bump it up. I plan on throwing quite a few layers on to make it sturdy, so I can sand it down to more even thickness if that's what it comes down to. I'll let you know how that whole scene goes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Alright, so I made a new throttle cable out of the new ones I bought. Man, its amazing how much difference clip ons vs. stock bars makes! I messed up and made the return cable about a 1/4 inch too short, so yeah, it didn't go on. However, the action is so smooth that it really doesn't need it. I'll run it for a while with just the main cable and see if it works okay. It really should.

Started on the seat as well. This is more of a chore than I thought. First I made a pan to fit the bottom really quick.

I couldn't find any foam in town for a decent price. I went to Joann Fabrics and their foam for 5 in was $68 a yard, and they would only sell down to a foot. So yeah, wasn't going to pay $24 bucks for foam I was gonna hack up. So I decided to make a cardboard skeleton and start wrapping it.

Started wrapping it with tin foil and tape.

It was impossible to get it even and symetrical. I spent about an hour and a half trying to layer tin and tape to get a good shape. Got pretty close and then just got fed up. I figured I could start glassing and with a little more stiffness make the shape. I started glassing but didn't take pics of that yet. I need to build up the left side more once this first layer dries. Its the same shape, but not as tall as the right side, so I need to bump it up. I plan on throwing quite a few layers on to make it sturdy, so I can sand it down to more even thickness if that's what it comes down to. I'll let you know how that whole scene goes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Fiberglassing is hard. This seat turned out like crap. Thats a 50 dollar mistake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
get a block of foam to shave down to the right size like shaping a surfboard, then glass over the topside and clean out the bottom side when it is dry.

I am doing well Tony, son is running around telling me nonononono wiggling his finer at me. I am tearing apart my spitfire engine right now and it is a complete pain since it has not been apart since 66.

Tranny looks pristine even tho the previous owner road it harder than a 3 penny hooker on friday night standing outside the navy base in bremerton. clutch sleeve took a hammer torch and a puller to get off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
get a block of foam to shave down to the right size like shaping a surfboard, then glass over the topside and clean out the bottom side when it is dry.

I am doing well Tony, son is running around telling me nonononono wiggling his finer at me. I am tearing apart my spitfire engine right now and it is a complete pain since it has not been apart since 66.

Tranny looks pristine even tho the previous owner road it harder than a 3 penny hooker on friday night standing outside the navy base in bremerton. clutch sleeve took a hammer torch and a puller to get off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Project looks awesome.

For the seat project, if you have a band saw you could makde a mold/plug system with some plywood. Just glue/nail sheets of plywood together and cut the shape out on the bandsaw and to make a mold.

I plan on trying that method in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fifty dollar mistake. Same here dude! That fiberlgass kicked my ass. I found some extreamly nice racing seats on e-bay. I figured why pour more money into the fiber glass and have it waster or just buy a nice seat..?

Check here; http://www.hotwingglass.com/seats/xr-flat-track-1.shtml

First seat on that webpage fits your model bike. Don't know if you'd like it.

Also, I've done some checking around. Pre fabricated cafe style seats run around 90-120$. Wether its a private site or on eBay, the price stays just about the same. Covers for the seats range from 50-100$.

Good luck!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, its been quite a while since I posted. I got a few things done but really haven't touched the bike in months, been stupid busy with school. I did manage to get a few things squared away, like the back end cut and braced. Had a buddy help me out and we came up with this set up in order to avoid smashing the frame against the tire on full compression. Strong as hell, this little bar:

I also got some proper brackets mounted onto the frame for the rearsets. No more bike stems. I they are not just straight plates, they have a support along to bottom to distribute the load on from lateral force. Again, Strong as hell.

I put new brake pads on tonight too and got everything adjusted. I put new pads in the rear too a while back. I am still at odds with how I'm going to do the tail section, but I'm becoming less and less concerned with the looks and more concerned with just getting the bike up and running again. Anyone know a good place to get carb rebuild kits? I have a sinking feeling I might need them...

·
Registered
854 Posts
quote:Originally posted by TonyDanger

Are there two brass washers on the inside of that bolt? If so, i know on cars it will cause a leak, now i am no expert on the pressures within a vintage motorcycles front brake, but thought i would bring it up.

Looking good, I like the grab bar.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yeah, I took that one off, I don't know why it was on there. Its already fixed!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well, just a quick couple of crappy pictures to give you an idea of the exhaust I built with a buddy of mine.

I checked the valves, adjusted the points (I hope, I had the book to check things but I'm not really sure if I did it right, I'm new to points) and put a little gas in it. No go... carbs also started dumping fuel so I ordered up some rebuild kits and will do that. I really wanna get this bike started soon, getting tired of the constant upsets.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well, just a quick couple of crappy pictures to give you an idea of the exhaust I built with a buddy of mine.

I checked the valves, adjusted the points (I hope, I had the book to check things but I'm not really sure if I did it right, I'm new to points) and put a little gas in it. No go... carbs also started dumping fuel so I ordered up some rebuild kits and will do that. I really wanna get this bike started soon, getting tired of the constant upsets.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts