Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been photo documenting most of the work I've done on this bike and I feel like I've done enough now to warrant a thread.

I saw this bike on craigslist going for $900. The owner said he had it four months, it ran when he bought it but after putting in some carb kits (keyster) it never ran again. I emailed suggesting that it sounded like it may only need a little work and that if he wanted to keep it i'd give up a day to tinker with it. We made loose plans but a week later his plans had changed, he decided to return to NY and to post the bike for $650 but offered it to me for a hundred less a day before. I had been looking for a titled SL frame to swap out with my CL along with a spare engine, I figured this is all that and more. So now, from what I gather, i am the fourth owner.

I was told that the bike was a flat track racer in the 70's and that it received this incredible paint job in 75'. The frame has been bobbed in the rear and the bend from the back used to tie the two sides together while making the seat a perfect fit. New brackets were also added to brace the after market fender.

My first thoughts were to rid myself of this paint as quickly as possible, given that it is so badly worn and some what ridiculous. Maybe I've been Bedazzled by the glittering finish ( What the photos can't capture is that the glitter in the clear coat isn't silver it's a brilliant rainbow ) but it's grown on and Iv'e found an appreciation for what it is. It's still got to go but I'm going to focus my finances on mechanical improvements to begin with and worry about looking like rainbow bright later.

(the tank still has your name on it TT just give me a little time)

...connoisseur of slack...

Edited by - snorkelfork on Jul 21 2007 04:35:33 AM

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*******MY WORK SO FAR*******

The carbs had some of the new jets, some of the old and some were missing all together. Lucky for me they were in a little box that came with the bike. The carbs got boiled, adjusted the new float levels, The old jets looked fine i so I put them back, and reset the screws to their default positions. Last I added a fresh set of unipods.

I decided to remove the mount and bolt the tail light, license and inspection directly on the fender. All this went down around 2:30am which I'm sure solidified my neighbor in front's opinon of me being an insensitive prick.

What was said to be a new battery turned out to be bunk new or not. I used this as an opportunity to hide the battery and components beneath the seat. I found a 12v 7ah SLA on ebay for under $20 after shipping and with warranty. More amps would have been nice but size constraints wouldn't allow it, if this one were a mm longer or wider it wouldn't fit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that traffics always good to me and lets me get home to the trickle charger.

The existing harness looked to be shit so I ran one from a CB/CL, Also swapping all of the electrical components for ones I knew I could trust and that worked with the new wiring. Note the $5 DIY rectifier. This new harness also gives me the option of turn signals if I want to add them later.

The foot break as well as stator needed longer wires and a new plug to reach up under the seat.

Some time later I'm going to post the intriguing differences I discovered between the SL and CB stators that make them model specific.

I fabbed this pan from sheet aluminum using a dremel to cut and a rubber mallet with 2x4's to make the bends. Not my proudest achievement but it will due till I have access to make better.

Here it is all together. I know someones thinking “Christ no wonder he had trouble getting the lights to work!” but actually this is all well organized into two groups. ( my trouble was in the bucket. ). I didn't want to mangle the harness so i doubled up the wires and wire tied the bundles.

Edited by - snorkelfork on Jul 21 2007 04:37:18 AM

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the beginning i didn't care for how high the front end sat. It started out with 31” forks and a 21” wheel with a tiny little drum. Before swapping this out with the front end from the CL I replaced the old ball bearings with a set of tapered rollers. I have to give praise and thanks to my friend Ron for having and loaning me a very nice press for installing the bearing races in bicycles, it would have sucked with out it... I found the whole process, bearings, forks and all to be a lot more troublesome than i expected. Next time I decide to do this I will be sure to have an extra set of hands so that I can have a beer in one of mine. Now the forks are 29” with an 19” wheel, much better.

And that is as it stands now. All this work and I haven't had a chance to kick it on yet. Before that happens I want to check the valves and cam chain tensioner.

next will likely be rearsets then clip-ons and new ears.

PS: I'm still looking for a 2.5” reverse cone for the exhaust. Rust n' scratches still works for me.

Edited by - snorkelfork on Jul 21 2007 04:39:49 AM

Edited by - snorkelfork on Jul 21 2007 04:43:51 AM

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thats nice work man. Are you sure you want to get rid of the Psychedelic paintjob?

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The paint has grown on me but i still hate the sl tanks i think they make for a terrible aesthetic, the lines make no sense. From the side the seat is cool but it flares out on the bottom in way that i find unnessecary. eventually i'd like to craft a seat off of this one without the wings and use the tank from my CL along with it. the slope on this seat matches that on the CL tank pretty well and they form a nice solid line across the bottom.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Jeff, I got your email. Your newest bike looks like it is coming together great! I really like it.The blue tank is a good improvement. These little thumpers are really cool bikes -- a good choice at a steal of a price. This one should be a wheelie machine when you get it sorted out.

We need to get together and play motorcycles some time. I'll bring the beer.

Peace and grease
-fang

'70 Suzuki T350
Download The Fang.mp3 HERE

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a funny thing...

the clutch cable is also the ground for the left hand controls. since i didn't have one yet the horn wouldn't work.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i've never had a horn that worked on a bike.... which is bad when you spend 300+ days a year in baltimore city!

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

1 - 8 of 8 Posts