Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better and easier to find parts for. I'm 5 10 and 240 but I would like a bike I could take on the highway. I've heard 350's are kinda glorified mopeds.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hell if a 350 is a gloried moped, I'd hate to see what my CL175 is consider? I guess if you go from riding some big rocket...or hell any rocket or newer bike. A CB350 may seem pretty doggish.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hell if a 350 is a gloried moped, I'd hate to see what my CL175 is consider? I guess if you go from riding some big rocket...or hell any rocket or newer bike. A CB350 may seem pretty doggish.

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
350s are little hot rods and not glorified mopeds. Go tell whatever harley freak told you that that a well tuned 350 with an average height/weight rider would probably eat his sportster/big twins lunch.

but for your mass I would skip the 350. I am 280 lbs and although I can still wheelie a stock cb350 I always get the feeling that I am just a cut hair past little too much for that bike. The cb500T is a detuned cb450, should carry you around.

Honestly, if I were you I would consider all of the 750+ Japanese inline fours instead. those bikes will haul the mail around all day long and not break a sweat.

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
350s are little hot rods and not glorified mopeds. Go tell whatever harley freak told you that that a well tuned 350 with an average height/weight rider would probably eat his sportster/big twins lunch.

but for your mass I would skip the 350. I am 280 lbs and although I can still wheelie a stock cb350 I always get the feeling that I am just a cut hair past little too much for that bike. The cb500T is a detuned cb450, should carry you around.

Honestly, if I were you I would consider all of the 750+ Japanese inline fours instead. those bikes will haul the mail around all day long and not break a sweat.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I had a 'sl350 and used to commute on the freeway with it, I'm 5'9"- 175lbs. It was ok, the 350 is Hondas "bigest small bike". The 500 (450) was Hondas "smallest big bike". Depending on what you actualy do with it the 350 might be a bike you would grow out of fast? There are still parts for most of them, if you want to up grade, wheels,brakes etc, get the 450-600 cause parts from bigger Hondas swap easly. I think you should seriously look at some 750's also, they are more than twice the bike and they can be bought for about the same money. There is a lot more support for the 750's from the aftermarket. Anyone of them has the cool factor and people will cross the street to look at and talk to you about your vintage bike. The standard question is "hey, is that a Triumph?" it's the same for the 500 or the 750. It's not what one you get, it's what you do with the one you get that makes it fun, just get started and good luck!

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
I love how someone posts on a site where you probably have one of the highest concentrations of cb350 racers on the internet and asks whether it is a glorfied moped.

I thought the bike had to at least be italian to be a glorified moped. you know like garelli, minarelli, vespa....btw forgive the spelling I don't travle in moped circles.

and gogi - its a honda, they are all unstable at high speeds - plus that really depends on what your definition of high speed is. but yeah pretty much all hondas speed wobble or shimmy after 100mph.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:no that was the corvair.
Hey, I had one of those when I was in high school. It never ran, so I can't vouch for it's stability. Sold it to a Girl I was dating at the time, when I joined the Army. Funny, turns out my current girl bought a Corvair from a guy joining the Army about the same time. Even the same color.

·
Registered
888 Posts
the 500 is basically a larger crappier 450 and had an increased stroke70X64.8), not bore over the 450 engine but is identical.

the other detuning move was reduced compression.

theres a famous story about the bad handling issue of the 500t. a guy in doncaster took his bike back to the dealer after almost wrecking due to wobbley performance and the dealer convinced him thats just what hondas do and to throttle through it...

the guy ended up in the hospital.

after honda looked into it, the only thing they could figure is that it was 30lbs heavier than the 450. there was no explanation other than that.

but i digress, anyways...the original question was stupid.

a better would be ''which is better, a 76' cx500 or a 72' qa-50?''

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Hondas are not inherently unstable at speed. If yours is then there are issues that need to be addressed. Check the usual suspects. Tires, suspension, bearings and wheel alignment. If your bike doesn't handle well then do something about it. My CB350 racebike didn't get a steering damper until the rules required it.

There also is nothing wrong with the CB500T although some of them have ended up as crappy, just like a variety of other 30 year old bikes. If it is a crappy one then fix it. A good CB500T is a nice rideable, dependable bike with one of the best looking gas tanks Honda ever made.

Geeto is also right about looking at one of the first generation fours (GS750, CB750,XS750, etc.) from any of the manufacturers. Definitely consider the KZ650, too.

Ken

Ken

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
500Ts have torsion sprung valves. Torsion equals fatique. Fatigue equals failure. Though I don't know how easy replacement bits are to come by, it would definately be something to consider.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
FYI: ALL springs (with the exception of leaf) are torsion by design. The torsion bars in the 450/500T heads are no more or less apt to fail than a coil. As for availability, they are still to be had from your local stealership.

Machine the skirts back a bit adn bore to suit and any 450 spec piston will net a boost in compression and depending on how big you go...up to 550cc.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
the CB450 and CB500T are practically the same motor. There are some internal differences in the stroke and the head (I have read that guys racing 450s use the 500 head), the turn signals and gauges are different, and the seat and the tank are different, but you can swap many of the parts, and indeed the entire engine out. I know this because I did this.

I weigh over 200 lbs and the 500T motor hauls me around just fine.

Parts availability for the 350 is *much* better than the 450/500T. However, you can still get everything essential for the 500T. You'll just pay more.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've had 350's 450's and500t's and never had a broken spring. they all turn 10'000rpm, the cam chain and the pistons/rings are what goes out first. if you keep them in tune and don't run them at 10'000rpm 24/7 they will run a long time. If you rape them to death, they will die.Duh. It's probably better to evaluate how you intend to ride. If you weigh 165lbs and are normal build a 350 or 450 will do. If you are 6'4" and 350lbs you need a 750 or 1000cc. If you buy a brand new bike that rule is foolproof, if you want an old bike then you get into judgeing the motors condition. Then it a crapshoot! your guess is as good as anyone elses. What it boils down to is buy the bike you like and roll the dice like we all do, unless you have the Irish luck, you get what you get?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts