Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this my new 72' CB750 project bike. I picked up cheap and ive got a bunch of plans for it, i dont know what ill actually get to do, but ill post as i progress. I want it to be a cafe/bobber thingamajig bike.

I really like the bikes on this site, www.bratstyle.com and im probably gonna shoot for something similar. Ill probably have a bunch of questions and ill appreciate any help and suggestions.

I got a box of parts with the CB and im gonna start breaking the bike down and removing everything unnecessary, fenders, factory tail and headlight, etc.. Ive also got an extra set of front forks and a front rim with tire. So if anybody wants any parts, ill be willing to sell.

Here are the CB pictures and two pictures of the Kawasaki KZ400 I put together and sold to get the money for the CB.

Thanks

Kawasaki KZ400

Edited by - kawiracer on Jul 22 2007 03:18:22 AM

Edited by - kawiracer on Jul 22 2007 03:20:56 AM

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The CB750 and Kawi 400 have lots of cafe potential. You could make some fine cafes out of yours.

I looked at the "bratstyle" website you mentioned. They have several very different looks going on there. Which bike(s) on that website do you want to make yours look like?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Not to be negative, but, what kind of style is Bratstyle showing? It certainly isn't cafe. Frankly, I hate it and everything about it.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, i figured most of the cafe guys wouldnt like the Bratstyle bikes. I like some of the seat taillight combos, the turns are cool, and alot of the throttle set ups are nice.

I dont go for the ape hangers and the goofy chopper stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
look harder, bratstyle does good work. although most of there stuff would be described as "street tracker" they do have some nice cafe bikes.

bratstyle cafe:

Why is it anytime the japanese try and copy american style it comes out like 100000000000X better?

·
Registered
687 Posts
i like the aesthetic, dirty, worn and tough as shit. i'd love to see people building cafe bikes with the quality and attention zero-engineering puts into theirs. better yet i'd love to have the time and money to build my own bikes that way...

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the Zero Engineering bikes are awesome. Most of those builds on the site are 10+ years old too.

So I broke the CB down a little more today. Took of the bitch pegs, chain guard, pipes, front and rear fender. I had a friend of mine clean the carbs out, he said they looked good and are ready to go. Ive gotta get new points and change the oil and I should be able to hit the road with a little reassembly.

I used my ultra high tech "string from tree" technique to paint the pipes with high temp black enamel.

Now for the bad news. I took the tank of a noticed some goofy frame welding. Apparently some tard tried to remove the frame supports under the tank and then changed his mind and welded them back on. Im not a welder, but it dosent look too professional.

Should i be scared of those welds?

My CB750 Project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4739

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
wow. thats screwed up for sure. geet might have more of an opinion on this and the reasoning for those rails, (dont know 750s as well as he does) but they definitely need to be welded all of the way around at least id imagine. if not lugged and welded or coupled then welded. i dont get why someone would do that to begin with. if you ride it that way, i have a feeling the main spine will flex, causing those weldes to crack, then the thing will eventually crack all kinds of things. sucks, cuz otherwise it a pretty sharp bike. i mean, dont think im saying its dead or anything, its fixable, it just coule be a pain in the ass.

geet?

jc

·
Registered
453 Posts
it looks like they tried to modify the frame so they could remove the valve cover without pulling the motor out of the frame.

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i thught those came off without having to pull the motor.

jc

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is a bad weld with a cut to boot.

I am not sure if that is a necessary part of the frame for structural purposes, but I would get it re-welded correct (or re-weld it yourself if you are a welder).

Personally, I would never think of anything else if I just slapped the tank back on and rode it like that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know the guy who owned it and he rode it just like it is for a long time. Geeto said I could get a kit that would allow me to remove the rails when I want for easy access to the valve cover, which was apparently the reason for taking them out in the first place.

My CB750 Project:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
as bad as it looks it doesn't make the bike an instant death trap although it does lead to some neck flex in ahrd cornering if the rails are removed completely.

Gordon's kit (Ilbikes on the SOHC4.us board) makes owning a cb750 single cam so much easier to live with in terms of top end maintenance. Not that there is a lot to do but still if you hot rod the motor or you can't stand having your cb750 weep oil out the valve cover gasket then this is the way to go.

here is the link to the installation of gordon's kit, but if you are not logged in you won't be able to see the pics.

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=20260.0

I have this kit on one bike and I have to wholeheartedly recommend it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
geeto, gordon is letting me know when they come back in, i'm putting the kit on my 74 k bike

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More pics. Chopped the fender off and primered it. And had the seat pan cut down and shaped a little. Im probably gonna slim it down some more, if i do that however, ill have to mount if differently and cut the mounts on the frame off.

My CB750 Project:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the pipes wrapped today. Pretty easy to do, it took a while to do it well but it wasnt too complicated. Measure, soak, and cut.

I used hose clamps to hold the wrap down, I was gonna use those initially and then maybe change the clamps to something nicer when I put the pipes back on the bike, but I mocked it up on the bike and the chrome clamps look pretty cool against the black exhaust gaskets. So Im probably gonna trim the excess on the clamps and keep them.

My CB750 Project:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts