Cafe Racer Forum banner

72 CB750 Tank, i need a cool one

7K views 55 replies 13 participants last post by  LiLBull 
#1 ·
Hi,
I just picked up a 72 CB750, running, for $300. I am pretty happy about that. Ive got alot of plans for it, but first I want a new tank.

Anybody know of any cool tanks from other hondas that I can just slap on. I would like something with knee cut outs or pads whatever they are called. I dont really feel like making a tank and hammering them out.

So if anyone has any opinions let me know and ill start watching ebay.

Thanks

#4 ·
I hat to be the harbinger of bad news but because of the cb750's frame shape there are very few european bike tanks that will fit a cb750 without mod (actually aside from rumors of ducati 750GT tanks there are not any).

you are going to have to start looking for tanks from the mid to late 70's jap bikes and unfortunatly there are not that many with knee indents. The 1975-78 Supersport 750 tank is a replica endurance racer tank and is nice a long and breadbox looking.

I don't know how deep your pockets are but benji in joisey makes tanks special for the cb750 and they have the knee indents. be prepared to pony up his seat and tank combos run approx $800. They really do bolt on though and work well. Airtech makes CR750 replicas that work also but are fiberglass and their quality is not 100%.

but why do you want them? They are kinda pointless on a cb750 because the frame is so goddamn wide.

#5 ·
I would just like to have something a little slimmer and maybe longer. I dont want a Euro tank, just something similar in appearance.

The super sport tanks are cool, I might try to find one of those.

#7 ·
it fits - sort of. I have seen SOHC bikes use the DOHC supersport tanks (you want a SOHC Supersport tank for true bolt on flexibility. - you will need to shorten your stock seat though) but I am not always sure it looks that great. It doesn;t fit the rear tank rubber so you are going to have to do something about that and it definatly won't work with the stock seat at all. I think you also have to raise them up a little in the rear because they sit tail heavy (on the DOHC they sit on a set of frame rubbers as well). The front mounts line up so there is something going for you.

the biggest problem I see is that the tank has the mounts for the DOHC side covers and if you mount that to a SOHC it looks ugly and you can't really cut them off because they are part of the tank.

#9 ·
only the supersport tank they fit they are long and you can modify that to look the way you want but really the super sport tank with a straight non metalic paint will make your bike look period oldschool its longer and when you put the solo seat it will have the look your after.minx the rear fender helps the forward look as well...now get to work.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

#10 ·
I've also been searching for a different tank for my CB350.
I agree with the Benji suggestion:
http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/bcrtanks.html
Y'know, I think the stock tank is pretty decent style-wise. I'm leaning toward keeping it and having it repainted. It's certainly the cheapest option.

1974 CB350F
1965 Lambretta Li150
2003 Stella

#13 ·
tanks are better when you throw your frame in the back of the truck and take it to the loacal or nearest bike salvage yard where they have them in a room wall to wall on shelves and try and fit different model tanks to see what fits and looks good to you.
still I feel for a 750 the super sport looks correct and is alread long so just find one on ebay they come up often enough.
Geeto knows the year they make 750 or 1100 aluminum tank which would look cool naked of paint .

#14 ·
that ebay tank your looking at its alot wider in the front then it leads you to think its not narrow and long ( i love the side profile)
but when you see that tank in person for me the looks fall away because its wide in front VERY and tapers heart shape to the back.not the bread box long rectangle it appears to be from the picture.the supersport one is at least rectangular and boxer as you can find for the 750.YOU WILL BE HAPPIEST with a cb750 mid 70s SUPERSPORT tank.

#15 ·
http://www.daytona70.com/English/historical.htm

with a mid seventies cb750 you will be KING of envy when you get your bike as close to this look as you can.No go and build it you will be happy.
Even doing it slow having it eveolve over time to achieve this look its worth it in the deepest cafe racer terms.Make it so NUMBER ONE!

#18 ·
quote:

Geeto knows the year they make 750 or 1100 aluminum tank which would look cool naked of paint .

1982-1983 CB1100R. Tank is not jst aluminum it is almost 5 gallons and dead sexy in shape. It fits the stock DOHC 79-82 cb750-900-1100F chassis. Unfortunatly they never brought that bike into this country, only the 1100F with its steel tank. They did however sell them in canada and mexico, as well as all of europe so if you want one troll foreign e-bay.

#19 ·
so basically a auto body guy does some work 25 years ago, can't get paid by the honda dealer in francs, so the dealer gives him a bunch of milk crates filled with potentially dick mann's daytona 200 winning cr750.

i don't know if i'm happy for the guy or if i want to go back to bed.

it's a great story. thanks bull!

texy

#21 ·
thanks for all the info.

The daytona70 website is cool, i like that tank seat combo. that oil tank is nice too, i want to move mine and get rid of the side covers, im hesitant about all the rewiring id have to do though. the oil tank alone on that site is over $1000 USD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.