Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today a friend of mine picked herself up a 1973 cb350 in excellent condition for $600. The bike has been cared for and it looks like someone had restored it a few years ago. The battery was dead but I wanted to check for spark so I kicked it over a few times. It did spark but the kick lever would not return on its own. after putting some gas in it and kicking it over a few more times the something inside the case let go and the lever can now be pulled out the side of the crankcase, does anyone know what happened? The engine is coming out anyways to be rebuilt so I will know what went on as soon as I open it up but I am sure someone else has encountered this problem.

The guy has also got a 70's something sl350 that he agreed to sell me for $400 as soon as he gets back from vacation, so I may be racing next year as long as everything goes well.

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I meant to put the excellent in quotation marks as per the ad. As far as the SL goes, at $400 I doubt I will get the thing for anything less. Our prices up here for vehicles are a lot more than most of you guys see in the states, so at 400 it is almost stealing it. Most go for 7+ and are in much worse shape

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
there are a couple of different kickstart assemblies. (why i dont know) but there is a circlip behind the inner cover that is supposed to hold it in place. (is there is a groove turned in it?) there is a clip adn washer adn spring and other weirdness. so all of tha has proabbly fallen into the tranny to. the nice thing is you can turn the motor upside down, and pull the bottom case off. pull the clutch, the oil pump and outer covers and you can pull the entire gear cluster and tranny.

jc

·
Registered
90 Posts
My thoughts are to see what the assembly looks like in a manual. You may get an idea as to why it came out.

After that, magnet on a stick.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tore into the engine today. looks like the previous owner broke the little cast tab that the kickstart spring sits on and then threw it back together without the spring. I haven't gotten into the tranny yet as I can't seem to pull the clutch off. The guy gave me 3 boxes of spare parts, most of them engine so I am not too concerned about the broken spring perch. I should have it all apart tomorrow so I can bead blast the cases and get all the parts ordered

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tore apart the spare engine tonight, everything looks good but I still need to check clearances. One thing I did though was crack the cap on what looks like a double shot glass made of aluminum on the right side of the crank. I thought it was some kind of balancer at first but after looking inside it just appears to house the nut that retains the craes to the crank.

So my question is... what is this thing and should i put another cap on it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
That would be your oil filtering system (centrifuge type). Clean out all the crap in there and get a rebuild book. It'll save yer arse.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool thanks. I have a manual on my computer just didn't have it with me last night though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts