Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob thread

So, I've had my 73 cb500 (first bike) for about a year now. Just got my engine running, only to find that the transmission is bad. So after a bit of reading, I learned that the shifting drum is the Achilles heel of my little cb. I also learned that Honda fixed this problem with the shifter in their new model, the 74 cb550. I'm tempted to buy a complete engine from a cb550, but I don't know how hard it is to swap.
Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,
Abe

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
What leads you to believe that the transmission is bad?

Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't actually torn it apart yet, but it won't let me shift into gear. I feel like if I tried any harder, id break the shift lever.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
clutch plates are probably stuck or sticking. Alternately the cable may be insanely out of adjustment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'll pull the clutch basket out tomorrow. Glad to know my little cb might still have some life left in it.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
If you put the bike on it's centrestand and rock the back wheel with your hand whilst shifting the gear lever you should be able to move into all the gears.

If that checks out then it's clutch related.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
You will get the furthest by describing your symptoms and test you have done so far in detail. Rather than assuming too much.
You got good pointers so follow up and describe what you did and what was the outcome.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If you are going to work on motorcycles....

stop op using the term "torn apart". It's a stupid term used by people who read too many chopper mags and motorcycle TV shows. Once you learn in what is involved in putting something together you won't use the term torn apart so flippantly. Seems like a bit of a nitpick, but really this is about mentality. You don't know what you are doing so you are trying to be causal about it so it doesn't show. Come to terms with your I expirence and be open and honest, there is no shame in being new at something but there is plenty of it in trying to hide it by being casual or flippant.

learn to NOT assume or jump to conclusions. You can make an educated guess about stuff but part of making educated guesses is performing tests and inspecting things. Always have an open mind because if you get locked into thinking it's one thing and then it turns out it isn't that thing you are going to feel deflated and not know where to go instead of seeing the upside that you ruled something out.

Learn diagnostic procedures. Every service manual has a trouble shooting guide, so learn to walk throught those procedures. You may need to look at several different service manuals to see the guide you need so be prepared to do reasearch. Don't just rush to Internet forums and thing Google is going to do the research for you, there is as much misinformation as there is good information and only an experienced person can kind of sort it out.

always give as much detail as you can when asking for technical help. This includes make, model, year, symptoms, whether the bike is a running riding motorcyce or whether it has been sitting (running means running perfectly by the way, not it will pop fart and stumble).

Always know what tools you need and service items you need before you start. In the case of your clutch cover at the very least you need a fresh gasket, do you have it? You may need a clutch, are you prepared to drop $150 on new parts if it comes out that way? Think before you project.

regarding your current issue, pop your clutch cover off and have a look at the plates and fibers. You are going to want to know what glazing of a fiber plate looks like and what scoring or warping of a steel looks like. Do research on that.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Actually the OP hasent really offered any information to help him.
dont know if he means he tries to shift into gear while the engine is running and nothing happens, or gears crash. Don't even know if he knows how things should work. Maybe he just flat doesn't know how to use a clutch!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're right, I was a bit fixated on the problem being the shifter mechanism. My bike hasn't run in over a decade, so I wanted to replace all the gaskets, clutch plates, clutch springs, and cables anyways.

Best regards,
Abe

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
What does that mean?
Normally when the story starts with "wanting to replace all the gaskets" ends in a CL add for a bike in a box

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ride regularly. When I have the engine running, and I try to change gear, nothing happens. No whining, no meshing, just nothing.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Does the lever move?
Does the position of the clutch lever make a difference?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The lever moves, but it won't go the last quarter inch(with engine running). Depressing clutch had no effect. The bike only shifts when it's not running.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
You have a manual right?
Maybe its time to make a local friend.
Kinda hard when you failed to fill in your bio/profile......

Stuff like this doesn't get fixed online.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
My bike hasn't run in over a decade, so I wanted to replace all the gaskets, clutch plates, clutch springs, and cables anyways.

Best regards,
Abe
probably smart to replace the service items like cables, fluids, and filters since with age those def go bad and are wear items anyway, but the gaskets? Is the bike leaking or weeping oil? If not don't touch it, you'll just make more problems for yourself.

You are are now in the trouble shooting phase. Don't just throw parts at something, learn how it is bad and how to fix it. For instance your clutch is a wet clutch which means if it isn't warped or glazed or both then it should be ok to use. Take the clutch plates out (using the manual for guidance since the clutch spring bolts have a torque spec and an order they need to go back in) inspect, measure, then report back. Do you know how to check if a steel plate is warped? You place it on a piece of glass and try to get a feeler gauge under it. Also look for discoloration on the plate from excessive heat.

Everone has already said the same suggestion, so now inspect the parts and see if the are right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
probably smart to replace the service items like cables, fluids, and filters since with age those def go bad and are wear items anyway, but the gaskets? Is the bike leaking or weeping oil? If not don't touch it, you'll just make more problems for yourself.

You are are now in the trouble shooting phase. Don't just throw parts at something, learn how it is bad and how to fix it. For instance your clutch is a wet clutch which means if it isn't warped or glazed or both then it should be ok to use. Take the clutch plates out (using the manual for guidance since the clutch spring bolts have a torque spec and an order they need to go back in) inspect, measure, then report back. Do you know how to check if a steel plate is warped? You place it on a piece of glass and try to get a feeler gauge under it. Also look for discoloration on the plate from excessive heat.

Everone has already said the same suggestion, so now inspect the parts and see if the are right.
Thanks for the advice, also almost all the engine covers have a minor leak. Probably wouldn't cause any problems if I carried a bottle of oil around.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Thanks for the advice, also almost all the engine covers have a minor leak. Probably wouldn't cause any problems if I carried a bottle of oil around.
Leaking is a different story, of course you want to fix leaks. Most newbies when they talk about gaskets talk about doing all the gaskets including head and base gaskets, and often in trying to do those they just make a leak worse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts