Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
put it in gear with engine off then pull in clutch and see if you can move the bike(rolling- not skidding! ha) ,putting it into a higher gear may help…if you can not the clutch plates are stuck together…you can free it by riding but you should have some bike experience so you do not hurt bike or yourself. if clutch only pulls part ways the release mechanism may be bottoming and out of adjustment. excessive oil and viscosity can make gearbox shifting stiff also…
joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I remembered that the clutch disengaged the kickstarter gear(I also remember my swollen knee from the indecent). So, I put it in first, pulled the clutch, and kicked her over.
Broke the clutch free. It'll do fer now.

Thanks for the help,
Abe

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
If your clutch is directly connected to the crankshaft, pulling in the clutch will certainly disengage the kickstart. Otherwise I'm not so sure on that one.

If a transmission doesn't want to shift easy, or has a tendency to pop out of gear frequently, I'd be looking for a bent shifter fork or two. Happens when people boot stomp the shifter to force it to engage. Shifter forks are generally bronze cast and prone to bending, which will promote wear of bronze on steel gear faces. If Brass colour shavings start to show up in your oil changes, that's a pretty good sign the shifter forks have been brutalized.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts