Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
This is my first post. I've done a cursory search here to see if this might have come up so far and I can't find it, so I'm posting the question.
Caveat: I'm not much of a Cafe Head; bear with me.
I got a '73 T500 a year ago; had the Suzuki shop here in Seattle work it over and promptly put it in the garage for a year. Yes, I realize this is a bit assish of me, but I commute every day on a bike and I prefer (and love) my little VF700F for this purpose. Now that the weather is getting better and I registered it, I think it's time the T500 and myself got acquainted.
Aside from the somewhat terrifying throttle response, which I assume I'll just figure my way around, the other thing that concerns me is the strangely loosey-goosey bars.
Technical terms are tough, so I'll elaborate: It seems that the clamps for the bars allow for quite a bit of "warp" movement. By this I mean I can push or pull on the bars and they will actually bend or warp at the stem/clamp. Almost as if the bolts through the clamps are bending. Is this normal? Is there a rubber bushing in there that I haven't seen yet?
This is a trivial issue and not technically realted to the bike itself, but if you happen to be familiar with the bikes, you may know about this too. I got a pair of repro tank emblems for the bike from a guy in the midwest, who himself got them from a guy in Oz. I haven't gotten back to the first guy yet, but the damn things are made in such a way that the F-ing screw holes don't F-ing match the F-ing holes in the tank. I mean... come on, it's a repro... is it not reasonable to assume someone making a repro could get something so basic as the screw holes to line up with the originals? Anyway, with anything online Caveat Emptor, right? So I'm prepared to take the hit. My question is this: Can/should I entertain any further ideas about drilling another set of holes in the outside the tank? Heh...

OK. That's it. Thanks.

Aaron/Seattle

·
Registered
453 Posts
do you have a fender on it? if not that may be the problem, most bikes use the fender as a fork brace as well. my cb750k did the same thing till i put a brace on it.

some people are like slinkies, basically useless but they still make me smile when i push them down the stairs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuzzy,
Thanks for your reply. There is a fender as the first attached image shows.
For further clarification, the issue is up at the clamps and involves the bars being capable of flexing forwards and backwards at that point. Second image might (hopefully) be clearer about it.

Dammit. If I want to post an image, do I simply include the path to the image(s) on my HDD?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
You have to post the pics on a host somewhere on the internet and then put the URL into your post. The forum itself will not store images.

Look underneath the bar clamps (under the top fork clamp)...I've seen bar clamps with a rubber bushing on the bottom. This bushing usually has a washer and bolt on the bottom than can be tightened up to take out some of the looseness....only so much though because it is a shoulder bolt that will only tighten so far.

Not sure if this applies to the T500...but I have seen this setup on other bikes.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll do just that...
I had another look at this and I swear it's the actual bolts which are flexing. Needless to say this isn't... umm, optimal.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yeah, those bolts go through a tapered rubber "bushing". try to tighten the nuts like jb says.

jc

"tex, if your bikes a cheater, its not a very good one"

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The t500 clamp has two cone shaped taipered busings that rubbermount the the bar clamps. Rather than just tighten then down take off the bar clamps and inspect the rubber. We did my firend's 1970 T500 a while back and the P/O had used rubber door stops and plumbing gaskets to try and shore up dry rotted handlebar busings. If you have them in good shape you can just tighten everything down, if they are kinda crusty looking you need to replace them.

call over to paul miller motorcycle and see if he has them, (18008281220) he is they T500 and suzuki specailists.

welcome to the T500 two stroke fold. What terrifies you about the throttle response? T500s, as far as two smokes go, have a very wide almosty 4 stroke like powerband. Make sure your bike is still eminating blue smoke (suzuki's smoke less than others), they always run fastest and most twitchy right before they seize (due to a lean condition).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts