Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a very original 73 Yamaha 750, I'm not a Yamaha guy so I guess its a TX750. It was just all there so I couldn't pass it up since it cranked over. Anyone with experience with this SOHC unit? Worth building up or just get it running and flip it.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The early models (the one you have) were a little ahead of their time, smooth but they had reliability issues. The problems were supposedly addressed on the '74 models, but production stopped after that. I would fix it up and ride it (gently), or flip it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything that I read so far has said the same. They had issue at high revs of oil frothing. Numerous kits made to fix the issue that looks like you need to be precise on tolerances when installing the kits. I will post pics and process I make when I'm working on it. It is in much better shape than my last barn find. Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The main design flaw in this bike was the lack of tension adjustment for the balancer counter-weights. The factory addrsssed that and other problems (e.g. oil starvation caused by frothing) by retro-fitting a kit to the first model engines and making the needed changes to the second year. There were only two model years produced as this motorcycle was pretty much DOA on the market, due to its early problems and the fact that the technology and performance of the period was with the in-line four motors thogh Yamamomma replaced it with a triple). The TX's limited run translates into a parts avalablity issue. Oil filters are gonna cost ya.

The bike is heavy for a twin and slow for a 750. But it is a handsome motorcycle and many owners report putting a lot of happy miles on them, though many complain that 1st gear is too high and dropping a tooth on the counter-shaft detracts from cruising comfort - i.e. there is no "sweet spot" when it comes to sprocket selection.

picky, picky.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts