Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1974 Honda CB 350:
I replaced all electrical, points are timed, new battery, everything has been double checked but I haven't dug into the motor.

The right Cylinder will not fire properly. The carbs are perfect. The Left side is perfect. I can't really figure out what else could be going wrong. Anyone have similar issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It idles perfectly, but once you hit 4000 RPMs, it sputters and backfires. Sometimes it will run smoothly. I took the left carb off (which works great) and put it on the Right side, and it does the same thing-misfires. The only thing left to be checked would be a valve issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, swithced the coils, I spent about 7 hours swapping Left Sde Components to the Right Side only to find the same problem continuing. This was the most frustrating day ever.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Sounds more like a ignition timing issue - I'm not real up on 350's - they do have an ignition advance....just a quick guess on my part...

·
Registered
166 Posts
when you said the points are timed, did you time both sides? I know it seems a little obscure but I found a manual that told me how to do it. Basically you time the right side by adjusting the right side point gap, after you have set the left side. Gotta make sure you're within specs for both. Made my motor run a lot smoother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep both sides timed individually. I was told that back in the day, mechanics were too lazy to go through the rigors of adjusting the valve springs properly, and would just do it while the engine was running, wait for the right "sound" and tighten the screws back up. This in turn could wear out the valves prematurely. Either way I'm selling this thing and washing my hands of this venture. I've had her for about 5 years and put some good miles in. Time to move on i guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts