Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so i just aquired a 1974 cb550 four and i was just wondering if i could get your guy's input on if it is worth fixing up and riding, or if i should just turn around and sell it? idk it doesn't run at the moment the carbs arn't on it but was told by the previous owner that it ran b4 he tore the carbs off of it, so please tell me what cha think, is it a pretty respectable bike? or should i just send it down the road and keep my full atention on my 77 cb 750?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If ya gotta ask.........

Ok, if the carbs are all there, clean'em, toss a rebuild kit on'em and get that pig running. Only then will you have any kind of idea if it's with dicking around with. Any pics of the bike? What kind of shape is it in?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Anything is worth more if it's running. If you don't mind me asking - What the heck did you buy it for in the first place.

Pull the bowls off the carbs - make sure they fairly clean, check if the carbs move up and down and stick them back on the engine and see if it will run. Geez for a few hours work, you'll see if you have a running machine. From that point, you have the option to sell a running bike or do something with it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol well as far as pics go would love to take some pics of the bike but had a little mishap with a river, an tube, some beer, and my camera ending up in the bottom of the river lol, and the reason i got the bike is because i worked for a guy that was kind of a piece of work, i quit my job because i got fed up with the way he was running the shop and alwayse threatening to quit my job just to get a paycheck, well i handed him a bill with my final hours on it and i bugged him for about 4 weeks trying to get money from him and long story short i ended up with the bike because he wasn't paying up, with what he owed me the cost of the bike came to be about $250, he didn't owe me much but just pissed me off lol, and the bike its self seems to be pretty much all there, just needs alot of TLC lol

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the 550s are respectable bikes and there are plenty of neat examples out there. Parts availability is almost as good for the 550 as for the 750 considering they share some parts (nothing cosmetic though). I would definatly take the cb550 over some of the other 500s and 550s from other makes (except for gpz550 and GT550 those bikes are animals, but the kzs, Gs, etc...all dogs).

It is one of those bikes that is easy to make a real clean custom bike out of since they don't have an external oil tank.

1974 is the first year of the 550 and they are somewhat rare, I wouldn't expect it to get cb750 money but at least it still has the classic lines of the 500s that preceded it.

If you got a title for it see if you can do something cool with it. If not then pass it along...preferrably in parts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys i apreciate the input, not sure what i am gonna do with it yet, but one things for sure it isn't just gonna sit in a corner and rot, ill keep ya posted when i decide whats gonna happen to it lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts