I thought Project CL125S was...well, not "done," but just about roadworthy. All the electrics are done, fuel lines and shutoff in place, and I've been finishing up the new mounting brackets for the relocated seat.
There I am, thinking I was about ready to put fuel in it, when I see a puddle under the front tire, fork oil just running down the left side fork. I rebuilt these forks less than 60 miles ago, including buffing the tubes, but I guess they're just too far gone.
I had an interesting one, couple weeks ago leaned my bike against a pine tree and it fell over, smeared pine pitch on the front fork stanchion tubes.
They almost immediately started leaking 5 weight out of the seals. : guess I should service those forks again before next week too :/
I ordered some Chinesium fork tubes, which are all that's available. While I was out on Ebay, I bought a front wheel hub and lower fork sliders to fit a '74-'76 CB125. The CL's stock drum is the same as the Trail 90, and it's super weak, even for this bike's limited weight and speed envelope.
I already know I'll need to replace my front rim, because it has a slightly wavy bead area, indicating some corrosion bubbling up under the folded-over lip. For the same price as a chrome steel replacement, I can get some fairly nice alloys, since the rear rim isn't exactly pristine. I won't do anything immediately, I just want to get this out on the road. But at whatever point in the future I replace the rims, I'll have the option of switching to a front disc brake. I can't imagine using the CB's weird cable-operated disc, but at least I'll have a RH slider with the extra mounting boss to fabricate something. I don't think I'll be able to use the stock fender without some sort of adapter. Who knows what all that will entail. I'll get all the pieces, lay them out, and figure it out as I go.
After 1,977 days, my "unintentional project" is no longer a project, and no longer mine. I was able to send it off with a new owner tonight as a one-kick starter that pulls hard and runs smoothly. It's fully functional, safe, reasonably attractive, and upgraded to be practically streetable, day or night. I practiced a lot of fabrication techniques and learned a lot about circuit design, troubleshooting, and how NOT to buy parts.
I rode it enough to recall vividly what it was like in the summer of 1980, at age 17, to suddenly find myself able to go where I wanted, whenever I wanted, without prior coordination or anybody else's say-so. Mission accomplished.
I guess that closes out this thread. What's next? Well, I might finally have a chance to pull my long-dormant Bultakenstein out of the back corner of the garage. Then again, I might not. Right now, I can't say.
Thought that I had a "build" thread on this thing, but I guess not.
Bought this bike from Geeto a few years ago. Spent YEARS bugging him to sell it to me.
Has a cool story behind it, and to me and epic look.
After I got it, I serviced the crap out of it and started bar hopping.
at risk of setting myself up for later ridicule............
i decided at last years festival of italian motorcycles here in melbourne that i wanted to attend this year's with something a bit different. not exactly special, i'm too limited in funds and time and a tightarse for that. just...
Well I recently bought this "barn find" bike that I will be transforming into my dream bike.
Step one is to 100% take it all apart.....
So the board has been rather slow these days, figured I would track some of the progress and stories of the new bike here.
Before my wife and I...
So my new toy showed up over the weekend!
A 1998 Bimota SB6R.
The "S" means that the bike runs a Suzuki motor.
B for Bimota frame
6 because it is the sixth bike they made with a Suzuki motor (not that it is a 600cc)
R because it is the later "upgraded" version.
This bike is powered by a...