61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #61

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished reading your whole thread; what an adventure! It’s been inspiring to watch, I have my own projects going that I’m trying to stay motivated for ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Thanks. I am not sure how much use the stock jetting data will be to me. I'm using a 24mm carb in place of the stock 22
What did the new carb come with for jets? Once you get it started and figure out what direction you need to go, you might find one of the Chinese sellers on Ebay that sells a selection of jets for cheap. I got some for a Mikuni recently from https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Pilot-Jet-8-Bleed-Holes-for-MIKUNI-VM-TM-TMX-Carburetor-10-32-5/282514333238?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 One wasn't drilled, but he sent me a replacement without any fuss. No idea how good they are, but look ok. Take a while to get here, but price is right.

Tank looks great btw.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
What did the new carb come with for jets?
According to the spec sheet, it has a #105 main and a #32 pilot installed, but I haven't actually opened it up. An extra pilot and three extra mains were included in the box, which I need to find...

Tank looks great btw.
Thanks. It's cheap adhesive tape, so I don't know how long it will last, but the whole bike will be a 20-footer at best so it's not worth much more effort and expense than this.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I thought Project CL125S was...well, not "done," but just about roadworthy. All the electrics are done, fuel lines and shutoff in place, and I've been finishing up the new mounting brackets for the relocated seat.

There I am, thinking I was about ready to put fuel in it, when I see a puddle under the front tire, fork oil just running down the left side fork. I rebuilt these forks less than 60 miles ago, including buffing the tubes, but I guess they're just too far gone.

Yet more scope creep. Can I be done?

[Ignore the messy bench in the background.]

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Cool, do the forks again.

I had an interesting one, couple weeks ago leaned my bike against a pine tree and it fell over, smeared pine pitch on the front fork stanchion tubes.
They almost immediately started leaking 5 weight out of the seals. : guess I should service those forks again before next week too :/

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I ordered some Chinesium fork tubes, which are all that's available. While I was out on Ebay, I bought a front wheel hub and lower fork sliders to fit a '74-'76 CB125. The CL's stock drum is the same as the Trail 90, and it's super weak, even for this bike's limited weight and speed envelope.

I already know I'll need to replace my front rim, because it has a slightly wavy bead area, indicating some corrosion bubbling up under the folded-over lip. For the same price as a chrome steel replacement, I can get some fairly nice alloys, since the rear rim isn't exactly pristine. I won't do anything immediately, I just want to get this out on the road. But at whatever point in the future I replace the rims, I'll have the option of switching to a front disc brake. I can't imagine using the CB's weird cable-operated disc, but at least I'll have a RH slider with the extra mounting boss to fabricate something. I don't think I'll be able to use the stock fender without some sort of adapter. Who knows what all that will entail. I'll get all the pieces, lay them out, and figure it out as I go.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
That reminds me, I have to rebuild the forks on my 74 CL125.
Wouldn't mind finding a set of stiffer rear shocks, but something that is the same size as stock.

These bike are perfect for running around town.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
After 1,977 days, my "unintentional project" is no longer a project, and no longer mine. I was able to send it off with a new owner tonight as a one-kick starter that pulls hard and runs smoothly. It's fully functional, safe, reasonably attractive, and upgraded to be practically streetable, day or night. I practiced a lot of fabrication techniques and learned a lot about circuit design, troubleshooting, and how NOT to buy parts.

I rode it enough to recall vividly what it was like in the summer of 1980, at age 17, to suddenly find myself able to go where I wanted, whenever I wanted, without prior coordination or anybody else's say-so. Mission accomplished.

I guess that closes out this thread. What's next? Well, I might finally have a chance to pull my long-dormant Bultakenstein out of the back corner of the garage. Then again, I might not. Right now, I can't say.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts