Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a fantastic GT 185 recently. The bike has only 1400 original miles so I'm not looking to go to crazy with the build but probably a seat, new carbs (if possible), bars etc..I dont really want to do any fabrication because I want to be able to revert back to original if I need to or want to sell it.
Does anyone sell cafe parts for these or will I be fabricating?
Any crossover parts from other bikes?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
1400 original miles? I take it this thing has been sitting for a long time. How are your crank seals? Does it run?

Why new carbs? Planning on changing the ports? Chambers?

If you have to get 'cafe' parts, Raask at one time made rearsets for them.

What's your experience with tinkering with two wheels?

I'd look around the forum and you'll see what your possibly in for.

Theres a wealth of knowledge here. Thick skins go far.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
1400 original miles? I take it this thing has been sitting for a long time. How are your crank seals? Does it run?

Why new carbs? Planning on changing the ports? Chambers?

If you have to get 'cafe' parts, Raask at one time made rearsets for them.

What's your experience with tinkering with two wheels?

I'd look around the forum and you'll see what your possibly in for.

Theres a wealth of knowledge here. Thick skins go far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have quite a few bikes and scooters but have never done a "cafe" build. I have a '54 Mv Agusta 125 TR that I recently finished so I am in need of a new project. The bike runs fantastic and needs nothing other than a few cosmetic things. Hence me wanting to put a new seat on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have quite a few bikes and scooters but have never done a "cafe" build. I have a '54 Mv Agusta 125 TR that I recently finished so I am in need of a new project. The bike runs fantastic and needs nothing other than a few cosmetic things. Hence me wanting to put a new seat on.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If it's ALL original, take a look at the rear brakes to make sure that they're not starting to delaminate. Could make a nice ride on a great looking bike short and painful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm really just trying to figure out if any parts can crossover. It needs a new seat badly and I'd love to possibly put some high performance carbs on it. No mods that will ruin it's originality

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I saw one that had a cafe seat that mounted on the stock seat mount points, but have no idea where it came from.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
If it's performance you desire the exhaust is the first place to look (expansion chambers) the carbs are already performance type considering they are not those nasty CV things. I think it's just a piston port engine so reed valves would make a huge difference, but maybe you can you confirm it does not have reed valves in it's stock form ?

If it wasn't in such nice original condition and you did manage to get it breathing better, you could consider trashing the oil injector and going with 50% high test, 50% race fuel and premix with Amsoil synthetic 100:1
You may recall that in 1974 high test leaded fuel was not only way cheaper, it exceeded 100 octane at the pumps.

...does anybody here remember what gasoline smelled like back then ?:/

EDIT: well there you go, somebody just posted some nice pics of a 1973 GT185. Nope, no reed valves that I can see.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Are you looking for a fiberglass race type seat or restoring the seat thats on there? Check out glass from the past for a race type seat, they post all the dimensions so you can find one that will fit well. And if you ask, they will email you pics of their seats on bikes like yours. If you just want a new cover check out: http://www.newchurchmoto.blogspot.com/ a girl I know works there and they do a great job for a decent price.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice survivor there! Keep it as stock as possible or easily returnable. Anyone have any more info on the blue bikes seat I like the looks of that :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think im gonna throw some Clubman bars on it and call it good...

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
If the 185 is like it's bigger brothers then the oil pump feeds directly into the main bearings in the crank. Taking it out would be fatal.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
quote:Originally posted by hillsy

If the 185 is like it's bigger brothers then the oil pump feeds directly into the main bearings in the crank. Taking it out would be fatal.
+1.

Clubmans? please don't unless your fitting rearsets. Your back will thank you later

1 - 20 of 24 Posts