Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted for a while and decided now that I have started tear down my 550F I would share my journey and ask for a few suggestions....

1- I want to improve my suspension, do I go with progressive springs with a rating of 100? I think that is how it was worded when I was looking it up..... I will be going with Hagons in the rear, is there a specific type of Hagon's I should be looking for? I will be either looking for a better swing arm or sending mine it to the gentleman who wrote the book on CB750's to improve the bushings and seals. I bought a new lower triple, Should I go with Timken tapered bearings?

2- i was advised to stick with a stock sprocket and get a new chain... Any suggestions to keep it stock or to go with a different set up?

3- The rear wheel is heavy as hell... Any modifications I can do to lighten it or look into a different rim? I like the size of the rear currently and do not want to go up in size... Also, what type of bearings should I go with or kepe it stock? I think 36 years old bearings might need to be replaced...

4- Front brake, what should I do? i read I can reverse the brake and have it on the inside of the fork rather then the stock front of the fork.. I read it helps with braking and less stress on the bike...

If anyone has more suggestions to assist with breaking and suspension I would greatly appreciate the help...

here is a pic of the day I picked her up..

After I removed the fairing

Todays progress....

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Good to see you are still super excited about all this

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Good to see you are still super excited about all this

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MAN, I was trying to think who has the signature of "There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!" I have been excited thanks to this site when I was getting into bikes... I have 2 550's and the KZ which most of you were right when you all told me the SR blows.... It does...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MAN, I was trying to think who has the signature of "There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!" I have been excited thanks to this site when I was getting into bikes... I have 2 550's and the KZ which most of you were right when you all told me the SR blows.... It does...

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Get a second caliper and rotor, bike really needs dual disc if you intend to ride it
I used CB750 sohc fork tubes and springs on mine (I was working at a Honda dealers, cheapest way to go)
I also fitted CB750 rear shocks (originally Girling as they were still in business)
When they wore out I fitted something diffe3rent but can't remember make
I used CB750 parts for two reasons,
1. heavier springs suited my riding better than the mushy stock springs.
2. Fork tubes and rear shocks longer by about inch and half, stopped bits dragging on the floor when cornering
F1 four into one exhaust brought me off a couple of times, so I had to change that as well (dropped it about 80mph one time, that was a bit scary ;))
I swapped fork legs and put caliper behind fork, I think it improved handling slightly?
This is rolling up to 100,000 miles on clock (really closer to 106,000, busted a few speedo cables over the years)

This is how it looked around 1980 (had lots of different iterations over the years ;))

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Get a second caliper and rotor, bike really needs dual disc if you intend to ride it
I used CB750 sohc fork tubes and springs on mine (I was working at a Honda dealers, cheapest way to go)
I also fitted CB750 rear shocks (originally Girling as they were still in business)
When they wore out I fitted something diffe3rent but can't remember make
I used CB750 parts for two reasons,
1. heavier springs suited my riding better than the mushy stock springs.
2. Fork tubes and rear shocks longer by about inch and half, stopped bits dragging on the floor when cornering
F1 four into one exhaust brought me off a couple of times, so I had to change that as well (dropped it about 80mph one time, that was a bit scary ;))
I swapped fork legs and put caliper behind fork, I think it improved handling slightly?
This is rolling up to 100,000 miles on clock (really closer to 106,000, busted a few speedo cables over the years)

This is how it looked around 1980 (had lots of different iterations over the years ;))

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya the PO did the "custom" paint job of lillies.... Tank has been sent off to Michigan to be redone already

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya the PO did the "custom" paint job of lillies.... Tank has been sent off to Michigan to be redone already

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Tews19

what a shame, it is probably gonna come back something boring.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Tews19

what a shame, it is probably gonna come back something boring.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts