Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

So I have always found cafe racers to be the sexiest bikes around. I am 21 and I could not give 2 s**** about crotch rockets; they are factory power and bland with creativity in my opinion, this is why I found cafe racers to be so intriguing. So, I decided to pull the trigger and rebuild one to my liking. I have been looking around for a while and finally found something that very well might have been a bad gamble but I did so anyway.

I bought a 1975 Honda Goldwing GL 1000 from someone down the street for $100 and have seen some very nice looking cafe projects done with this model. However, it is in very rough shape. I have been around motorcycles and dirt bikes my entire life so I have a fair amount of knowledge with motorcycles.

I am mainly curious where/what I should start with as far as assessing the level of work that needs to be done with the motor. Cosmetics, wiring, replacement of suspension and other minor parts, etc is of no concern; I can handle all that with no problem. I have looked over the motor and it looks just as I expected; like its been sitting for a VERY long time. After a brief look over some of it, it appears that there is a good amount if rust and gunk surrounding the spark plugs, and looks like there is some sludge covering the engine valves. The carb valves are definitely very stiff as well. pretty sure the starter is shot, and it appears that the gear box is still functional; it goes in and out of gear fairly smoothly Anyway, Anyone who has been in the same position as me any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks a bunch in advance everyone!

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Get it running well first. I'm not kidding. Just make it run. Those carbs like to stick the slides in the bore and if it has a lot of miles on it they will probably be worn and scored. The slides will clean up with a green scotchbrite pad if you are careful. The 75 has points, so clean them up and gap them. The starter motors are easily rebuilt, it probably just needs new brushes and a cleaning. There is a kickstarter on those, but the lever lives in the fake gas tank and just plugs into the back of the trans when you need to kick it. All in all trying to kickstart a wing sucks.

Ken

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Goldwing and cafe racer hardly go together in the same sentence, but that doesn't mean you can't shed a ton of weight from the leadwing. They can make an interesting Street rod with hotwing glass tracker seat and superbike bars.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
First I think GL1000 is a great bike. I'm not sure if I like the red wheels and frame but I've seen some really nicely done GL's that I would not mind owning. Do a web search for supercharged GL, there is a guy out there that has a web site that will show some really nice GL builds. This guy also has custom parts for the GL for sale - worth while checking out.

Update: The web site is www.randakks.com

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
The naked wings are growing on me.
labeling one as a cafe is kinda dumb, build to the bikes strengths, dont shoe horn it into some style

·
Registered
152 Posts
Go to ngwclub.com. All kinds of info on the 4 cylinder Wings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I found the ngwclub.com websit to be extremely informative already! some great tutorials on rebuilding carbs, water and fuel pumps, and just about anyhting else! I would suggest this websit to anyone else working with a GW! Thanks Robin1731!

Anyway, I will keep this post updated with progress and any other questuions I may have. Keep the info coming! haha

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Joseph Lemanski

This is what I had in mind. I don't know how much of this bike classifies as a "Cafe Racer" but I think it looks meaner than a bulldog s%*(#@ tacks none-the-less!!!

Image courtesy of:

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq342/Goldracer/goldiebilder1.jpg
wow, that bike is flat terrible. nevermind the 50's hot rod paint for a minute, the smaller tank which obviously doesn't fit the frame, the poorly mounted seat, and the fact that the rest of the bike is stock - just ick.

this is full stop one of the best GL1000s I have ever seen:

Randakk really put a lot of thought, and time, and money developing this bike and the best part is you can now buy almost everything out of his catalog. The best part is, except for the supercharger, this is all pretty straightforward to build.

here is his writeup:
http://randakks.com/Randakk's Endurance Special.htm

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Randakk built it
He was going to offer kits. Dont think he ever did, but a few people were running around with superchargers.
Defiantly falls into the "if you have to ask you cant afford it" category though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ken Essex knows of what he speaks. Get it running first, those carbs are the achilles heel of early GL's. Then you need to check the charging system and make sure the stator is good ( this requires engine removal if it's bad as does the water pump) Those are the only real major issues with the GL.That will determine wether or not it's worth building. I like the GL1000, I built one a few years back and it really was a good motorcycle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok,

So I have always found cafe racers to be the sexiest bikes around. I am 21 and I could not give 2 s**** about crotch rockets; they are factory power and bland with creativity in my opinion, this is why I found cafe racers to be so intriguing. So, I decided to pull the trigger and rebuild one to my liking. I have been looking around for a while and finally found something that very well might have been a bad gamble but I did so anyway.

I bought a 1975 Honda Goldwing GL 1000 from someone down the street for $100 and have seen some very nice looking cafe projects done with this model. However, it is in very rough shape. I have been around motorcycles and dirt bikes my entire life so I have a fair amount of knowledge with motorcycles.

I am mainly curious where/what I should start with as far as assessing the level of work that needs to be done with the motor. Cosmetics, wiring, replacement of suspension and other minor parts, etc is of no concern; I can handle all that with no problem. I have looked over the motor and it looks just as I expected; like its been sitting for a VERY long time. After a brief look over some of it, it appears that there is a good amount if rust and gunk surrounding the spark plugs, and looks like there is some sludge covering the engine valves. The carb valves are definitely very stiff as well. pretty sure the starter is shot, and it appears that the gear box is still functional; it goes in and out of gear fairly smoothly Anyway, Anyone who has been in the same position as me any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I restore older goldwings cause airplanes wont fit in the garage and will be glad to help you , #1 clean around spark plugs and then remove them , open gas tank look inside for rust , check oil level, then get back to me for what is next , things you will need , mystery oil, sea fome , gas and a tester to check volts [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok,

Check out the history of the Gold Wing and you'll see Hondas intention was not to create the best touring machine on two wheels, but to create a powerful brute. They did a great job! Next thing you know , someone bolts a fairing on one then bags and a trunk and the rest truly is history. Great bike no matter whatcha do with it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts