·
Registered
1,536 Posts
This thing is looking DAMNED good!!!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
I'm glad you guys are digging it... just wait until you see what I do NEXT winter

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Axle spacers are complete:

The caliper bracket I have is off of some old drag bike and is actually really nice. The only down side is that the rotor is too wide of a diameter for the caliper to bolt up. We're going to have to reduce the radius of the rotor by about 1/2" for everything to line up. Shouldn't be too much of an issue and think about all the weight we'll be saving...

For everyone's information, I'm going to be mounting the caliper upside-down so I can re-use the stock (drum brake) brake stay.

My machinist also really wants to make new axle adjuster end caps for the box swingarm. I'll let him go for it.

Now I need to rebuild the caliper (waiting on the kit from Clubman Racing) and have a line made.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Pictures from my machinist:

Just need to shorten the brake stay a bit

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Rebuilt the caliper:

These pistons look/feel like they're Teflon coated:

And mounted with a proper brake stay:

My machinist convinced me to throw out the old kickstand stay (that keeps it from hitting the rearsets) and go with a better solution.

Old:

Rubber bumper with bolt:

Welded on tab:

And painted:

Done:

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Today I began fitting the Tannermatic belly pan. Obviously trimming is required.

Had to cut a hole for part of the exhaust.

I was originally going to paint it navy blue, like the tank... but now I'm thinking silver. Any suggestions?

I also replaced the old kickstand bolt.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
... I was originally going to paint it navy blue, like the tank... but now I'm thinking silver. Any suggestions?
Rule of thumb on colour selection is: if you want it to disappear from view paint it black (or very dark colour), if you want it to stand out paint it white or bright.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
you have a chance to do a cool one there pal
you got the darker blue up top and then you fade to light blue almost white on the bottom
its a classic paint scheme for in particular carrier based navy aircraft they simply call it 3 color
it should be done somewhat reclessly ,i feel thecworst thing would be trying to copy an example cause they were all hand done no 2 alike
i could see have a couple detail guns loaded up a well masked engine/frame etc and just go fior it starting bottom giving the pan some definate hints of blue ,very light blue
from above the dark blends with deep blue see
from undedrneath the puffy cloud-born sky
i think they stole the painter vwhat who painted the great white and other sharks and sea preditors

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1FLDB_enUS562US569&tbm=isch&q=navy+ww11+aircraft+paint&chips=q:navy+ww11+aircraft+paint,online_chips:camouflage,online_chips:markings,online_chips:f4u+corsair&usg=AI4_-kRuKs89soQMy2AY79ItP0DP6hBd7A&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL4dyls_7gAhXK7Z4KHX43BKwQ4lYIMCgF&biw=819&bih=526&dpr=1.25#imgrc=eUunXl8gLQqtPM:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
your z1 is sooo bitchen ! i dont see anything really that is noot done quite correctly
except the original length brake stay was fine in fact it had the angle of moment right close to 90 degrees
the shortrer one is fine but you wouldn't want it much shortrer because the loads increase the further from 90
do you have the correct reflectors for the fork sliders
i have some like new
the other cool optioon i have is some classic lucas reflectore which are slightly smaller in diameter but would be bitchen with a lathe turned brass bezel/ring surround to make up the diff in diameter which is less than a half inch
the lucas units have a very trick look

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
one more thing too many ideas but that danfg fairing could have some hammerhead shark/mv agusta/moto gp inspired winglet stalks for the signal lights right at the lower front edge

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
XB you're trying to send me down more rabbit holes!

I do have the original fork reflectors, but I may order some smoked or red ones from japan.

My painting is limited to rattlecan right now and I have a pre-mixed can of Audi Moro Blue that I'll use on the bellypan. The pan is realestate for cool vintage stickers I have that I don't want to stick on the tank/tail.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Pretty much have the pan mounted:

There's a little bit of sanding left, then I can prep it for paint.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I was going to volunteer to come down and do some test riding for you (2 new builds, not enough bodies) but your weather, the next few days, looks just as shitty as ours.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Yea I got some riding in today which was nice, but there's still tons of sand on the roads... plus this bipolar climate is a recipe for disaster

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
That's awesome. I've actually been looking at a setup like that too.
If I pull off myh exhaust to have it ceramic coated, then I'll have a bung welded in for future use.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Bled the brakes today.
I routed the brake like along the stay and in between the swingarm brace and pivot. The line is long enough to allow full suspension travel but not so long as to be touching anything dangerous. I used zip ties to secure the line until I can find something more elegant.

I also started sanding and priming the belly pan. I'm not going go crazy with smoothing it out because it's going to get chewed up a bit anyways.

And I got some dark blue vinyl striping to mess with... It's a little lighter than the bikes blue, so I'm not sure I'll use it.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Laid paint today.

I'll clear it on Monday. Stickers will cover the mold imperfections that I didn't bother filling.

321 - 340 of 371 Posts