Cafe Racer Forum banner

361 - 371 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
well yeah...never actually heard of a problem with the starter motor on a Kawasaki, but the starter clutch always seem to be problematic. Hopefully not the case with yours.
I'll have to look at the symptoms of a bad starter clutch. My rationale with it being the starter motor is that its exhibited the same symptoms as my various cars that have had failing starters.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
Got around to installing the new starter.

I used some (fill with solder style) cable ends and crimped them on with a swaging tool. An ichiban solution to be sure, but it works well.

The new starter was a much tighter fit than the old one... specifically the fitment at the collar just in front of the o-ring. Yes I lubed it. I wound up using a long wooden dowel and a rubber mallet to tap it into place. I tapped it back out just to make sure I wasn't getting it permanently stuck. After bolting up, I tested the system and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Geez..Ya haven't hung up yer headers fer good?
Nope...

It's an vintage hand bent exhaust for a Z1/KZ. It's likely a 70s yoshimura piece.

It's been glass bead blasted to check for leaks as well as repainted. It has fresh baffles as well.

I'm not sure if it will be a performance improvement over my vintage kerker with race baffles.... but the cool factor more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Fitted the exhaust. I hate fitting exhausts... they're such a pain in the ass keeping the collars in place, getting everything set in place, cramming your hand in there to tighten everything down.

I also changed the oil, because unlike the kerker I have, I can't change the oil with this exhaust mounted.

Here's a picture of it with the yoshimura emblem placed on it. The old ones were glued on, not riveted so I need to get some permatex black to secure it to the muffler.

I do still have to make a hanger for the muffler section as well as finding a good clamp for where they join.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It will be interesting to read what you think once you get a chance to put it through it's paces. The smooth arc of the Yoshi makes sense to me for moving gas efficiently. Visually I like the fit of the Kerker but it makes me wonder about the performance compromise when comparing it to the Yoshi design.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
It will be interesting to read what you think once you get a chance to put it through it's paces. The smooth arc of the Yoshi makes sense to me for moving gas efficiently. Visually I like the fit of the Kerker but it makes me wonder about the performance compromise when comparing it to the Yoshi design.
Agreed.

I think... instead of making a bracket, I'll have my machinist make an elbow that slips between the collector and muffler that will angle the muffler up to the mounting point. That would not only solve my mounting problem, but it would also give it a bit of an upward sweep.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
So I got it to fit.
The previous owner had replaced the header studs with hex bolts. They looked good but made it a huge bitch to mount exhausts.
I replaced all of them with stock studs/washers/nuts. this let me loosen the exhaust enough to mount it in the correct position. I still need to go get some heat proof adhesive to mount the yoshimura badge.... but that's not until after I cure the header paint. It smokes like crazy right now with the fresh paint.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
So I had a slight exhaust leak and took the opportunity to install new half-collars (the spacers that sit against the exhaust flange and the exhaust, pushing it against the head).

I had this issue with the old half-collars and now with the fresh ones too:

you can see that the flange isn't sitting flush against the head. When I inspected the crush gaskets, they were all well sandwiched meaning I was getting good contact. (I put another new set of crush gaskets on when I replaced the half-collars).

I think this may just be down to the lip on the yoshimura headers being thicker than on the kerker? I suppose I could get another set of half-collars and have them cut down slightly?

361 - 371 of 371 Posts