Put a fork brace on it before you get hurt

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
quote:Originally posted by crazypj

I'm almost offended you even assumed I would ride without one :p

I had taken the front fender off when I had put the clipons on. I left it off for now because I need new tires. Don't worry, it will be back on as soon as I the new tires come in.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
quote:Originally posted by crazypj

I'm almost offended you even assumed I would ride without one :p

I had taken the front fender off when I had put the clipons on. I left it off for now because I need new tires. Don't worry, it will be back on as soon as I the new tires come in.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
more progress.
I got the bike back in riding status, been doing some test rides making sure everything is working right. All thats left now is to get the bike inspected and registered.

I also ordered this half fairing:

It should flow well with the lines of the bike and protect me from some of these monster insects I've been seeing flying around here in texas...

I also spray bombed an offset racing stripe to hide where the existing paint peeled off, it will stay like that until I get my other set of body work painted. (thinking of going with a paint job inspired by the OEM blue one)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Welcome back - I'm working on a 1977 KZ900 at the moment myself. I just got the frame back from the powder coater and will be starting the assemble process soon. I'm adding a 16" rear wheel to mine and superbike bars. I'll keep the engine stock for the moment. Yours is looking good.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
some more forward progress!
Got the fairing mounted up, just doing some final adjustments before paint. I have a new set of side covers and tail, as well as an un-dented tank that I'm going to bring in for a pro paint job as well. I'm just trying to decide what colors (I was thinking a dark green tank with silver tail, sides, and fairing).

once again, crappy cell phone pics. just need to adjust the screen a bit, and the blinkers need some shims so they'll be straight.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
oh, and I need to lower the gauges or replace them with smaller ones... there is a little bit of rubbing :/

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
You also need an RC engineering distributor...lol

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jaguar

You also need an RC engineering distributor...lol
totally! buy jag's racing magneto! then you will have the full race setup! I like exclamation points!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
yea i know, I've been thinking about it. I have a full dyna system right now and the bike runs pretty damn well with it. On the flip side, I have no idea how the racing magneto works. If anyone who knows more would like to school me about it I'd be more inclined to getting it. :p

Also.... give me suggestions for a color for the bike! (other than kawa green)

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
First it a distributor. Magnetos and distributors are different

My set up is new and bolts on. Hot ticket would be to convert it to electronic ignition and a hot coil. the kit is $55

The original idea was to fire each cylinder individual as well as install a unit that would perform better then the stock points, and this was pre dyna
The nitro guys ran some crazy magneto set ups that all but produced lightning.

For color I say silver and blue. kinda redbul ish but only in the colors not the pattern

The RC drive will take any VW distributor or magneto.

It really would be sick on your build and defiantly something to get the old guys talking at the shows.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It's definitely a sweet item, I just have a hard time with the cost/benefit.. 700-800$ can get me a whole lot of other performance parts for this bike.

Regarding the silver and blue... I dig. I'd probably go with a rich blue with a slight grey tint on the tank and tail, then do the side covers and fairing in a darker silver. Plus I have a friend who can cut vinyl decals so I could cut up some white variations on the traditional z1b pin striping.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
we can do better then those prices

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
99% Done!
Got the parts back from paint, had the tank painted Audi Moro Blue, and an Audi dark silver.

Now I only have two more bolts to put in the windscreen, maybe two more braces to make for the fairing, some better (shorter-er) cables, and tighten everything down.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
so some updates:
wasn't happy with my brace-job on the fairing so I pulled it off until I could get access to a welder.... might look at a different shaped fairing too. anyway, took the opportunity to snap some new pictures today.

21 - 40 of 373 Posts