Cafe Racer Forum banner
381 - 389 of 389 Posts

·
2,007 Posts
Nope...

It's an vintage hand bent exhaust for a Z1/KZ. It's likely a 70s yoshimura piece.

It's been glass bead blasted to check for leaks as well as repainted. It has fresh baffles as well.

I'm not sure if it will be a performance improvement over my vintage kerker with race baffles.... but the cool factor more than makes up for it.
Coolest thing I've seen today. I love the look of those exhausts. Doesn't webike have modern interpretations of these?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Coolest thing I've seen today. I love the look of those exhausts. Doesn't webike have modern interpretations of these?
yea, there's several manufacturers in japan who hand make copies of these pipes.

My next holy grail item is a spare, untitled Z1 frame that I can brace up and swap everything over to.

I'm also considering going over to superbike bars, no fairing, and traditional seat the next time I have to do the fork seals... just for something a bit different.

Reactions: jcw

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
sunrise bike ride...
I hate people so early saturday mornings are really the only enjoyable time to ride.

My backordered carb rebuild kit finally arrived from Dynoman. My current cobbled together rebuild weeps slightly out of the #1 carb bowl gasket (damn things shrink like nobody's business when you let them get dry). I'll probably ride it like it is for at least a little while, making sure to not leave the petcock on and drain the carbs after each ride.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
So I rode 150 miles today. Went up to get coffee and do homework in Temple, TX and then rode 45 minutes south to inspect some work on a Corps of Engineers construction project I'm managing.

I'm beat the hell up... 150 miles riding at generally 75-85mph takes a lot of stamina.
Bike performed well, got about 33.5 mpg.

I did have the oil pressure light stay on after I started the bike up after refueling. I shut it off, inspected the oil, jiggled the wiring and the light still stayed on. I decided to assume a little bit of risk and try riding it around the block. After getting out of first gear, the light turned off. I'm pretty sure it's a faulty pressure switch as it would sometimes flicker on and off when the bike is first started as well.

So now I'm putting together a new Webike order.

I think I'm going to get some clear float bowls, red carb tops, a new pressure sensor, and I'll get an oil pressure gauge to mount on the case as well.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
So I went to order the clear float bowls and had the sudden realization that I didn't feel like spending $100 on that plus another $100 on red carb caps...

I did however order some new fuel line, fuel filters, oil pressure sensor, and oil pressure signal wire from Z1E as well as an oil pressure gauge from joker machine.

The goodies:

The old fuel lines and filters. One of the filters broke as I was pulling the line off the petcock... good timing. These lines are only maybe 2 years old... yea they were a bit too small, the new line is 1/4" INNER diameter.

New pressure sensor wire with boot vs the old one:

and the joker machine pressure gauge adapter:

The warmed up idle oil pressure is normally around 2-3psi (with the needle roller bearings these motors run really low oil pressure... but huge volumes)

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
So I chased down another fuel leak in the carbs.
To be honest, I should have just gone through and replaced ALL the O-rings when I had them apart back in June.

I replaced the O-rings on each of the two fuel inlet T's. I didn't do the one on the center crossover tube...

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
7 years ago:

Today:

Feels like 100 years ago.

Reactions: woodsman
381 - 389 of 389 Posts