Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have an opinion on Honda's VF 750 interceptor? I have a lead on one that runs for really cheap. It's an '84.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great bike. Good power and comfortable riding position. Prices are going up as it becomes more of a collectors bike. If the price is right then grab it and you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Don't know as much about the '84, my son has an '86 VFR700, great bike. I think the '84 has chains instead of gear driven cams, but I can't remember for sure. If it's "really cheap" and running etc. don't wait, jump on it.
JMO

FR

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
The VF750F was the first of the Honda liquid cooled sportbikes. It had a steel perimeter frame, 16" front wheel and Chain driven DOHC V-4. A great handling sport bike for its day. They did have some cam wear issues due to oil bolt control issues. There was an update and a warranty repair on the 84s. When raced they would overheat with the thermostat in place and if overheated could boil the fuel in the float bowls. They were one of the first bikes that could be raced like they came out the crate. I worked at a shop where we took a former raced superbike in trade. I got about 2 laps at the track out of it before I blew it up. It was fun while it lasted.

Get it.
Ken

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to go see the guy on Saturday. He finally emailed me back, so we'll see...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by catboy

well...did you see it? interceptors are super cool in my book!
nevermind, just saw the date. that's be THIS saturday. duh. good luck man. i love interceptors.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy sent me some pics - looks like it's mostly all there (and it has Yosh pipes!), some rash on the right side...

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Borzwasie,
What are you planning on doing with it? Ride it or turn it over? The VF750 is the chain driven cam model. The VFR is the gear driven motor with an aluminum frame. Entirely different. The VF was a cool bike and would be a fun reliable street bike. I seem to recall that the Yosh pipes were really loud. The rear shock on those was pretty soft but rebuildable without much as far as special tools go. With fork springs and a rebuilt shock, they handled pretty good. I have a front wheel for one if you want it.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, ken - if I get the bike I will take you up on that. If I get this bike, I'm just going to do what I need to get it running and ride it like that, ugly as it needs to be. I don't have the money or the wifely goodwill for two bike restores (two bikes was a *hard* sell) :D

For those of you who have worked on v4's -

I read some stuff on the internet about checking the cam lobes for pitting and scoring - how involved is the process of pulling the valve covers off these motors? is it something you can do in half an hour or so?

I also read that if you hear rattling that goes away as you rev, the chain adjusters are probably badly worn. How bad is this?

Are there any other gotchas about this bike I should know about?

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...well shit. the guy resubmitted his ad...

EDIT: it was a mis-post, it's still the same price, still going sunday to see it.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Did I read correctly, before your edit, that he wants $400? Or $600? I lusted after those bikes like noing else when they first came out. Really if that's what he's asking, and it runs, and it's as complete as the photos show, how can you go wrong?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
make sure you watch 4four victory before you go and look at that bike. That way you don't have a single question as to whether it is a good deal or not.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I didn't get it. It was more project bike than ridable beater. The tank was really rusty inside, and had a lot of bondo on it, and a mis-done Kreem job to boot. It did turn over, but it was the "it ran when I parked it" deal. Wiring needed lots of attention, salvage title, etc. It still wasn't a bad deal, and it was all there, but I can't afford another project bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts