Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not bad for $300.00,has pipes,FG seat,mags,f&R discs etc. You could part it out for more than that and still make a little cash! If the frame,tank<tires etc. are good and you got a title that's great. Make sure the crank seals are good.

I think my Brother-in-law gave me that same little mig welder? It needs a couple wires replaced<but it will work if I do that. How does that one do on say mild steel?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planing on putting in a electronic ignition w/o battery, milling up some clip ons, put new springs on all a round, rear sets maybe drilled rotors... I'm open to suggestions, this is my first cafe racer build and I would welcome any and all help.

coolatula: This is my first mig so I don't have anything to compare it to but I've built some Pannier racks with it for my ADV bike and they worked great http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541626 , I've only used the flux core wire so far and haven't yet got the gas tank or the spool gun (for aluminum)I'll let you know how they work when I do.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks for the mig info. When I get this mine fixed I hope it will be good enough for small jobs. i eventually want to get a dual 220/110 name brand with tank for Aluminum,stainless and much thicker mild steel for more serious fab work.

This site has a lot of cool RZs and RDs and other two strokes.
http://www.usa2strokers.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I made some mounts that will work with the rear sets that came with the bike

I started by swinging the rear set up and drilling a pilot hole.

After that I enlarged it to 5/8 to except the stud I was about to mill.

I then went to my mill/lathe and turned the studs

Tapping the stud

Finished studs

Welding them in

I did a lot better with the bottom one than the top, may be because I was trying to time it with the cameras self timer any how I'll clean it up later when the bike is down to just the frame

Trying to take the photo and weld I stuck the welding tip in the new threads so I re tapped it

I think that this should be stronger than it was.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hay do any of you guys know to install a oil pump block off plate? I got as far as taking the oil pump off but now there is a drive shaft/ worm gear thing sticking out that isn't coming so easily and I don't want to hurt the motor trying to yank that thing out. I'll post a pic soon so you guys know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
258 Posts
yo, great thread over on advrider. those pics are excellent, looks like a fun ride, love that XR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks SRR

As for the oil block off plate you have to remove the larger side cover and remove it from the other side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts