Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi happy to have found this forum. I have years of riding experience but none with Café racers . Just purchased an original 1977 Harley XLCR that I found in a garage in Tombstone AZ. Where it had been sitting for 12 years. Brought it home cleaned the gas tank rebuilt the carb new tune up kit and replaced the rotten tires and it fired up first time like new. It has 4700 original miles. The old fellow that owned it was the second owner. He rode it 3 times and said it scared him so he parked it and there it sat till I found it. This was a bike Harley made to keep up with the Japanese invasion but of coarse was no match for the import bikes so they stopped production after 2 years. Its a super rare bike and a blast to ride. Always get the thumbs up on it wherever I ride. Looking forward to reading some of the posts. will try to include a photo of the bike but nohttp://www.caferacer.net/forum/asset.php?fid=11369&uid=12942&d=1423771067t too good at the computer stuff. OK pick is there but is huge how do I downsize it?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok pic fixed itself after download. Thanks

Attachments

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Neat bike.

Keep it well locked up with a big Mutha Finng lock.

Replace the hard stock brake pads with some better aftermarket ones that actually work.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Always wanted one when they first came out; grew out of it quickly as I got into performance considerations, totally got over it once I got my first Triumph Bonneville.

Those bikes have pretty decent value, and seem to be coming out of the woodwork in the last couple of years. They are also targets for theft.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
If they had put the XR1000 motor in that bike it would have been a much better bike. While I would love to have one in my collection it wouldn't be because of it's performance as a cafe racer. It was AMF's way of playing dress up.
Keep it the way it is and you'll have better resale value up the road. What is one paying for one of those these days?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I paid 8 grand for it. There is one at Bator International right now for 22 grand, Bonhams Auction sold one at auction a couple of weeks ago for 16. I think I got a good deal!

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I paid 8 grand for it. There is one at Bator International right now for 22 grand, Bonhams Auction sold one at auction a couple of weeks ago for 16. I think I got a good deal!
I figured they were still bringing in the $10K range. The one at Bator is probably worth an extra $7K just because of who's selling it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
One in decent condition recently sold on eBay for $16. It was in about the same cosmetic condition as yours. No idea how it would compare as far as mechanical condition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts